: Whats the difference between...

gornati
06-11-10, 01:53 PM
i used to own a 1981 coupe devile with what i think it was a sunroof...

But now checking cadillac website, i noticed that, there was a difference in price whe you purchase a car with sunroof, moonroof and ASTROROOF...

What is the diff. between moon roof, sunroof and astroroof?

Thanks

jayoldschool
06-11-10, 02:08 PM
Astroroof is just the Cadillac name for their moonroof. As far as I know, that was the only option for roof opening.

water walkin warrior
06-11-10, 02:25 PM
What is the diff. between moon roof, sunroof and astroroof?

Bad joke time...A moonroof is a very offensive sight and an astroroof makes a sound like the dog on the Jetsons. :bigroll: Couldn't think of anything for the sunroof. :confused:

gornati
06-11-10, 02:29 PM
but jay, as i seen in many sites, check this out...

Astroroof w/full vinyl roof ($995)
Astroroof (painted) ($1106)
Sunroof w/full vinyl roof ($795)
Sunroof (painted roof) ($906)

by being cheaper sunroof, must be smaller...

I just wanted to be sure of that..

sven914
06-11-10, 03:11 PM
Isn't it that a Sun Roof only has a panel that slides out so you can see through the window, but the window does not actually open. I think a Moon (Astro) Roof window can be popped up or slid out of the way.

jayoldschool
06-11-10, 03:19 PM
but jay, as i seen in many sites, check this out...

Astroroof w/full vinyl roof ($995)
Astroroof (painted) ($1106)
Sunroof w/full vinyl roof ($795)
Sunroof (painted roof) ($906)

by being cheaper sunroof, must be smaller...

AH, now I know the difference. You could get it in glass or metal (the panel that opens). That has to be the difference. We can probably find the old brochures online. I know I have the link on my home computer.

outsider
06-11-10, 03:23 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunroof

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moonroof

both of those go to the same exact page...
No entry for Astroroof so maybe it's just a bigger sunroof?

gornati
06-11-10, 03:23 PM
i think the astroroof is bigger...

gornati
06-11-10, 03:37 PM
maybe this helps all of us..

Another new option was the Astroroof, which was a large heavily tinted overhead glass roof combined with a wide aluminum band that extended from one B-pillar over the roof to the opposite B-pillar. In 1977 a conventional sliding sunroof became optional and was also often ordered with the aluminum band.

wiki...

csbuckn
06-11-10, 03:53 PM
I thought it had to do with size and how it opened. I thought the astro roof was bigger, one slid open over the roof and one would slide into the roof?? idk

albymangled
06-11-10, 05:35 PM
http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/cadillac/81ca26.html

a little hard to read but its there...

thesameguy
06-12-10, 01:22 AM
Normally speaking a sunroof is a metal panel that opens exposing the inside of the car to the outside. Might tilt or might slide out of the way, but in either case it's a solid, non-see-through panel that can be somehow opened.

A moonroof is a transparent or translucent panel that you can see through but doesn't necessarily open. In general, a moonroof will include a sliding panel to shield or unshield it.

On modern cars, moonroof is understood to include sunroof functionality - that is, there is a glass panel that can be opened or closed, or shielded or unshielded.

"Astroroof" is Cadillac's trade name for a moonroof. I *think* the "Astroroof" was one of the first examples of a moonroof on a modern car. It wasn't until the '80s that most other brands started to offer such a thing. The Saab 9000 and Audi 5000 (both ~'84) are amongst the first other cars I can think of with moonroofs.

The-Dullahan
06-12-10, 01:51 AM
:can::can::can:

Aron9000
06-12-10, 02:23 AM
I was pretty certain that Cadillac has only offered one type of sunroof, the "Astro-roof" which is a big tinted glass panel. When you open it, it slides back under the roof, thus hiding itself under the roof and between the headliner. Doing this does comprimise headroom, but in a big car like the Cadillac there was plenty of headroom to start with so its not a big deal. There is also a shade that opens and closes, so you can keep the sun from shining through the glass.

At least that's how the one in my 1991 works, and every one I've seen on older Cadillacs has been the same design.

jayoldschool
06-12-10, 03:15 PM
You could get either a glass panel or a metal panel. I didn't know about the metal panel until I went to a local yard to take out an Astro and found that the panel was metal covered with matching top vinyl. Hence, sunroof vs. moon (astro) roof.

albymangled
06-12-10, 08:27 PM
If you look at the bottom left picture on this page it is obvious just what the Astroroof involves..

http://www.lov2xlr8.no/brochures/cadillac/81ca19.html

DopeStar 156
06-12-10, 09:18 PM
It's been said but yeah.... According to my 76 Sales Brochure, a Sunroof is a painted metal panel that slides out of the way. An Astroroof is a glass panel that also slides out of the way. The difference is one you can see through.....

brougham
06-14-10, 09:09 PM
Normally speaking a sunroof is a metal panel that opens exposing the inside of the car to the outside. Might tilt or might slide out of the way, but in either case it's a solid, non-see-through panel that can be somehow opened.

A moonroof is a transparent or translucent panel that you can see through but doesn't necessarily open. In general, a moonroof will include a sliding panel to shield or unshield it.

On modern cars, moonroof is understood to include sunroof functionality - that is, there is a glass panel that can be opened or closed, or shielded or unshielded.

"Astroroof" is Cadillac's trade name for a moonroof. I *think* the "Astroroof" was one of the first examples of a moonroof on a modern car. It wasn't until the '80s that most other brands started to offer such a thing. The Saab 9000 and Audi 5000 (both ~'84) are amongst the first other cars I can think of with moonroofs.

Bingo. Altho Cadillacs and Chryslers and probably Lincolns had moonroofs in the 70s.

gornati
06-15-10, 08:15 AM
well i forgot i have the 78n sales brochure... i will triple check..

:)::)