: Motor Specs

BlownV
06-11-10, 12:03 PM
Two questions I can't seem to find any answers to right now without tearing about my own engine...

Anyone have any ideas on dimensional specs for our engines? I mean very detailed drawings of the block and heads.

Second, anyone have any evidence to support what our engines are capable of putting out reliably as far as HP/TQ? I am assuming we are limited by material properties of crank and/or connecting rods and associated hardware. Possibly pistons as well but I suspect they are slightly overdesigned to compensate for the numerous possible things that can occur on forced induction engines to produce a lean condition.

I have been in contact with some friends intimately familiar with twin-screw superchargers (Whipple specifically) and have an idea in mind if you see where I am going with this.

Florian
06-11-10, 02:30 PM
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/enginemasters/articles/cadillac/0504em_cady/index1.html

F

BlownV
06-12-10, 03:25 PM
Thanks for that link Florian...definitely answered a few of the questions I had about our motors. Looks like I'm going to need new rods and pistons for where I would like to head with this project. I still haven't been able to track down specs on our heads, as far as intake port size and location. Hopefully I won't need to pull my supercharger just to take the measurements.

coach123
06-12-10, 07:31 PM
BlownV... Maybe these pics will help you out. I snapped a few while I had the supercharger off. Are you thinking about porting the intake and exhaust ports of the head?

BlownV
06-12-10, 09:09 PM
Those pics definitely do help and lead me to believe that I can accomplish what I am planning on...unfortunately I am probably going to need to either find a scrapped head to measure or pull mine apart to do so.

I am doing some research into the efficiency (specifically adiabatic) of our supercharger/intercooler system. As you probably know, twin-screw superchargers are much more efficient in general than roots style and provide much crisper throttle response. Typically they are not intercooled due to their high efficiency and generally operate at higher boost levels (15-30 psi).

Working on some numbers now to see if a twin-screw setup (such as a Whipple) could provide a serious boost in mass flow rate of the intake charge while maintaining the same intake air temps without an intercooler. If the temps are higher but I still see hope in changing out the supercharger for something with a much more efficient compressor map then meth injection may be the solution.

To me the biggest issue is going to be the adapter plate between the twin-screw and our heads to line up the ports since there is no kit available for our vehicles. Snout length and pulley diameter should be pretty straight forward.

Even if this worked out though and I saw 100-150hp increases in power, I suspect that the next weak link is going to be rods and pistons. Might be a little pricy but I know I can have some new ones machined from billet. Of course our block is aluminum too so this all may be opening a can of worms I do not want to touch...maybe an LS9 would be cheaper? lol

Florian
06-13-10, 12:55 PM
you can buy an new LC3 motor less s/c for around 3K.....

F

BlownV
06-13-10, 01:45 PM
But what are the hp/tq limitations of the components in the LC3...no one seems to know. Not much point in going through all of this if the block is only good for 600hp.

550HP STSV
06-17-10, 01:52 PM
you can buy an new LC3 motor less s/c for around 3K.....

F

Where?