: ground control question

wcryan
06-10-10, 07:59 PM
Out of all my picks I think im gonna go with Ground Control. I just want prior experiences from people that have bought a setup for their car. I have ccw's with 275's in the back and 245's in the front, and im just wondering if I get GC's will the rear rub. They already do if I take a corner hard, but I dunno if lowering it with GC's will make it rub more. And another thing im wondering is the install. Me and my brother (who is a mechanic for GM) have pretty good experience with doing installs on pretty much everything with my car. How long did it take you guys to install these?
Thanks,
Ryan

Twitch
06-10-10, 08:44 PM
Two people shouldn't be more than a few hours. And that's being conservative.

You should not be rubbing now. Maybe somethings wrong with your suspension. If everything is well, and your rubbing at stock height, obviously it'll get worse if your lowered. The only thing you can hope for is that the stiffer spring rate will help.

Don't forget the "Feffman fix".

Tony

wcryan
06-10-10, 09:30 PM
feffman fix...... You'll def have to fill me in with what that means..... but my ccw's they rub in the rear on the inside of the rim at hard turns... I have no idea whats that about but I was informed about the rub before I even bought the rims which made me think that it was normal.

thebigjimsho
06-11-10, 12:51 AM
They must be incorrectly setup. I have 9.25" rims and 275/40 18 PS2s and had zero rubbing even on the track...

odla
06-11-10, 06:55 AM
grease the heck out of all the bushings.

Natedog
06-11-10, 11:42 AM
can the GC install be done by one person ?

odla
06-11-10, 01:05 PM
yes it can.

repenttokyo
06-11-10, 01:15 PM
i have yet to install my GC kit, as I am a bit daunted by the process. I do stuff like oil changes, alternator replacements, etc, but i find suspension to be intimidating. is this the kind of project where I am gonna half to take it to a pro halfway through bc I have made a mess?

Twitch
06-11-10, 02:16 PM
can the GC install be done by one person ?
I did mine at night. No problem.

i have yet to install my GC kit, as I am a bit daunted by the process. I do stuff like oil changes, alternator replacements, etc, but i find suspension to be intimidating. is this the kind of project where I am gonna half to take it to a pro halfway through bc I have made a mess?
Tough question. Some people may not be the best mechanics, but they love to wrench. For them, it's easy.
Some people, it's just not there thing. Based on your post, I'm not sure which category you fall into (no offense).
It's not a hard job, but a few things are a PITA. If you really want to do it, I don't think you'll regret it.

Go for it. It's great knowing your car feels/looks better, and you did it yourself. :cool2:

PS Don't forget the extra washers

repenttokyo
06-11-10, 03:10 PM
yeah, i've been reading up on the feff thing. i don't have air tools - will i be ok with an extensive set of hand tools?

sslider02
06-11-10, 03:16 PM
My GC setup should arrive any day. ONE NOTE: you MUST get different swaybar endlinks when lowering the car (or raising the car as I just learned)! I just snapped all 4 of my stock endlinks with the STOCK suspension, because I put on 245/40/18's (1 inch smaller diameter), so it increased the separation 1/2 inch on the endlinks and wallaaaa, I am now on the web trying to find adjustable endlinks....anyone have any good feedback/sources on ADJUSTABLE ENDLINKS?

thebigjimsho
06-11-10, 03:42 PM
ebay Powergrid. There is also a member here attempting to fab some up...

Twitch
06-11-10, 04:14 PM
yeah, i've been reading up on the feff thing. i don't have air tools - will i be ok with an extensive set of hand tools?
You'll need a spring compressor.

My GC setup should arrive any day. ONE NOTE: you MUST get different swaybar endlinks when lowering the car (or raising the car as I just learned)! I just snapped all 4 of my stock endlinks with the STOCK suspension, because I put on 245/40/18's (1 inch smaller diameter), so it increased the separation 1/2 inch on the endlinks and wallaaaa, I am now on the web trying to find adjustable endlinks....anyone have any good feedback/sources on ADJUSTABLE ENDLINKS?
Something is wrong here. Z06 endlinks on the front are recomended, not a must. We all leave stock endlinks in the rear. I actually tracked my car with GC lowered and stock endlinks and didn't have a problem.
You need to look into this further. You may end up snapping the expensive replacements. It already happened to someone. Not sure but he may have installed them wrong. Good luck.

Tony

CTSVrolledOUT
06-12-10, 04:51 PM
I have the same set up and I rubbed...

wcryan
06-12-10, 06:17 PM
The tires don't rub at all. It's the inside of my rim that rubs a little when I take a corner really hard. If I am correct I think they are 10 in the rear. Not 100% sure but the guy that had them before me said they would do that a little. They clear the calipers by about the size of a matchstick and the bar (forget what it's called) on the inside of the wheel. How could they be setup wrong? I'm no mechanic but I don't know what can go wrong when mounting your wheels to your car

PISNUOFF
06-13-10, 10:39 AM

I ran GC lowered 1" with stock sway bars and links for 2 years. I had MANY track days included also, some with 245/40 r-comps and some with 255/45's. I never had an issue with end links. You should only have to switch end links if you change sway bars, and even then the stock links in the rear work just fine.

Sslider - Due to the suspension geometry, the 1/2" difference at the tire does not equate to 1/2" at the end links. Something is definitely not right if you broke all four at the sane time after only changing the tire size.