: Pedal Issue?

The-Dullahan
06-10-10, 07:50 PM
My gas pedal seems to require more pressure than normal all of a sudden to push down and certainly vibrates plenty. Possible Causes, Gentlemen?

outsider
06-10-10, 07:59 PM
could it be the throttle linkage? maybe try spraying it down with carb cleaner or wd 40?

I'm not too sure man, that would be my first guess. That or fuel filter?

The-Dullahan
06-10-10, 08:16 PM
could it be the throttle linkage? maybe try spraying it down with carb cleaner or wd 40?

I'm not too sure man, that would be my first guess. That or fuel filter?

That's what I figured about the throttle linkage. As for the fuel filter, one must remember than my carb has only a rubber fuel hose with a plastic in-line fuel filter, rather than the standard one inside piece with the hex nut.

sven914
06-10-10, 10:12 PM
Clean the carburetor and check the throttle cable for binding and sticking. Also check the pivots on the back of the pedal for sticking. The pedal is a little difficult to take off, but once it off you can see if there is less resistance in the throttle while driving. My gas pedal falls off occasionally (threads in the floor are stripped), but I can drive the car fine without it.

The-Dullahan
06-11-10, 12:01 AM
Best quote ever.

my gas pedal falls off occasionally, but i can drive the car fine without it.

Could only have been better if it were a steering wheel we were discussing.

sven914
06-11-10, 12:59 AM
^The worse was when the pedal slipped off the throttle lever, and somehow fell onto the floor board under it, so that the throttle lever could only be depressed about a quarter way down. I was stuck on the interstate and it took forever to get above 30 mph; I ended up physically ripping the pedal out of the floor, while coasting down the slow lane.

I find the engine to be a little more responsive without the gas pedal. The leaver has a smaller area, so it takes a while to learn where it is and it takes less pressure to push down.

The-Dullahan
06-13-10, 01:59 AM
Update time, as this was solved AGES ago.

It solved itself next time I started the engine.

Cleaned the linkage anyhow, having figured that could be the only answer to begin with.

Now Then, next problem

What's the best way to straighten out a front bumper WITHOUT replacing it with a new one I have no money for (saving for something else)?

outsider
06-13-10, 06:40 PM
depends how bad it is and how close you want it to be to straight...

could take it off and twist it back by hand with a bar in some cases.

Benzilla
06-13-10, 06:48 PM
I think it's time for you to "borrow" that camera again... we need the gory details!

The-Dullahan
06-13-10, 07:16 PM
I think it's time for you to "borrow" that camera again... we need the gory details!

Not remarkably noticeable, for instance, nobody but you and I have ever noticed and it has been that way for two years. Will do though.

Benzilla
06-13-10, 07:20 PM
Take some overall pics of the whole car while you're at it, I don't remember ever seeing any (or did I miss something?) other than the nice, shady, blemish hiding shots.

The-Dullahan
06-14-10, 01:59 AM
Take some overall pics of the whole car while you're at it, I don't remember ever seeing any (or did I miss something?) other than the nice, shady, blemish hiding shots.

Got some here. I have never actually taken photos with the intention of hiding anything, she just hides the flaws and rust on on her own fairly well.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/rwd-19xx-1984-deville-fleetwood-1985/193822-photos-i-promised.html

The-Dullahan
06-14-10, 01:59 AM
Wow, and that's twice I called a Buick a Chevy, in so many words.

greencadillacmatt
06-14-10, 02:50 AM
I never get tired of looking at that thing. :)

Benzilla
06-14-10, 03:06 AM
Wow, I love your hearse. Vaguely remember seeing that set now.

But that coffin! Where did you get that coffin? I friggin love it, It's gorgeous! Does it have a lid?

The-Dullahan
06-14-10, 03:24 AM
Wow, I love your hearse. Vaguely remember seeing that set now.

But that coffin! Where did you get that coffin? I friggin love it, It's gorgeous! Does it have a lid?

I built the coffin of course, with little more than a handsaw and screws, driver, hammer and nails. The Coffin has no lid, because I had no use for a lid whilst displaying it inside there (There tend to be a highly modified "Bucky" skeleton in there) so I have not made one. Maybe I need to get better photos of it, but basically, it is all wood with a richly lined plushy black satin interior, it is oversized and well padded, as it's for a Cadillac, not a Toyota. It is complete with handles, plenty of trim and a nice silver plate at the foot-end that says "At Rest"

Also, I know it's in there backwards. I keep it that way.

The-Dullahan
06-14-10, 03:27 AM
I never get tired of looking at that thing. :)

That's how I'm feeling about that project you're working on.

As for engine swaps in my car, I hope to have mine done eventually. Though 500's are a Gift from The Gods, I may end with with a Chevrolet 454 or possibly even 350, as though I would like to buy a NEW crate engine, you never know when you will need a part and those engines are easy to find replacements for.