: reduced power and codes

VfastCaddy
06-10-10, 10:33 AM
Hope someone can help! '05 CTS-V with 94K (and original diff!)

3 times now starting from stop in 1st car goes into reduced power mode. Dealer found codes 1125 and 2126, which he says relates to the accelerator pedal assy and the ETC module. He cleared the codes after the 2nd occurrence. Car will run normally after shut-down and wait for 60s but check engine light burns for a while, then eventually goes out. Also, dealer found additional electrical wire leading from fuse box to accelerator pedal assy which he first claimed is an "aftermarket unknown" and means no warranty help. After an hour of talking this over, he "remembered" this wire was installed by a dealer in another city during previous ownership to fix this same problem! I've told him I want it returned to stock and the problem fixed because it's flat-out dangerous to drive in this condition.

History: accelerator pedal and ETC module were replaced at 51669 mi. during previous ownership but at my dealership. Both were replaced again by the same dealer, along with the powertrain control module, at 52309 mi. According to my service mgr, who says he knows the car well, the PO then took the car to another dealer where an electrical wire was installed as described above, supposedly to fix the reduced power mode occurrences that were happening then and are now happening again and that apparently were not fixed by the above parts replacements. He says he needs to do a "deep dive" that may take several days and I've scheduled it for next week. Car is still under CPO warranty for a couple more weeks.

Questions: 1. Anybody have any idea what this extra wire fix is? Is it something the techs figured out to fix a problem GM never could? 2. I've searched the forums but can't find much on these codes. Anybody got better data? and 3. Anyone know of any TSB's relating to this issue?

Thanks in advance.

STAGEUP
06-10-10, 11:07 AM
Mine had this same problem, but a new accelerator pedal fixed it. Weird.

EDIT- look at the pedal assembly for any hairline cracks. The technician that replaced mine told me that a hairline crack in the pedal assembly can cause a misalignment in the circuitry, and make the computer throw the car in engine reduced power mode. Even just side stepping the gas pedal by accident can cause the plastic on the pedal module to crack.

CTSV_510
06-10-10, 11:14 AM
I've never heard of an extra wire being installed to fix this problem. Usually the reduced power mode is related to a bad pedal or a problem with the electrical connections for the throttle body or MAF.

VfastCaddy
06-10-10, 10:47 PM
Thanks a lot for the info. If it gets figured out, I'll post the answer.

VfastCaddy
07-23-10, 10:31 PM
After 3 weeks of off and on efforts, finally fixed by dealer under CPO warranty.

1. replaced accelerator pedal position sensor: nope
2. replaced throttle control black box: nope
3. asked GM if they could rewire the entire engine car: GM: "what, are you nuts? That's a $1300 wire harness! Don't you fools know about the bad wiring crimp TSB?" (I'm paraphrasing/embellishing here.)
4. performed selective rewiring with some new connectors: fixed it.

God, I'm glad to have it back.