: 93 FWB Brake Lines Problem and Questions.

Daddy Lac
06-09-10, 09:04 PM
Hi Guys, still driving my Fleet around and loving it till today. one of my brake lines finally gave out to rust, and now im losing brake fluid like crazy!:mad: I took it to a shop and looked under it and found that these 2 brake lines run from the abs all the way to the rear as one piece! and they are very rusted. but i think i can manage to do this myself since they wanted to charge me like $470 for the job and i dont have that kind of money right now. So im wondering if anyone on here has done this with little difficulty. Im looking at lines from autozone but im not sure which ones to get. maybe you guys can point me in the right direction on how to go about this? Would like to get my baby back on the road again. so any help is appreciated. thanks guys. Would also like to know what the brake line width and lengths are on these 93 Fleetwood Broughams. If someone can look on the auto zone website for brake lines and let me know which ones to get would be cool :)

Stingroo
06-09-10, 09:15 PM
Well, I just did a brake line on my Caprice with the same motor as your FWB, so maybe I can offer a little insight.

From what I know:

The brake lines are most likely 3/8" in diameter; mine were and I can't imagine them using different ABS modules for all the cars... That would be very non-GM like.
They're held to the body by small clips, I don't know how to get them out of the clip, I cut mine out and re-routed it.
Flaring is nowhere near as hard as it seems. I learned how to do it from YouTube with a flaring tool borrowed from Advance Auto Parts.

Otherwise, best of luck. It wasn't that bad for me, and my mechanical knowledge is limited to literally.... not much. :lol:

Neil Clarke
06-10-10, 08:05 AM
3/8 is fuel line size
Don't you mean 3/16 ?

When it comes to brakes I usually tell people... if you need to ask how to do it... you can't do it
But it never hurts to have a go as long as you do it slowly , properly and check for leaks

Bleeding it up might be the trickiest part... don't get an air bubble in the ABS unit or $470 will seem cheap compared to what it might cost you in the end for someone to fix up your mistakes

Stingroo
06-10-10, 08:29 AM
Oh, yeah. Good call on catching that. lol I was pretty tired.

I agree with you on the "if you have to ask you can't do it", sort of. I figured mine out with the help of my dad, a set of line wrenches, and a forum full of guys. Took me abit to get my hands on some of the tools (tubing cutter.. urgh) but I eventually got the car all set.

jayoldschool
06-10-10, 09:51 AM
If it is the main line from the ABS to the rear, just cut out the bad section, double flare the ends (don't forget to put the new nuts on first!), add a section of pre-flared line, and bleed right rear then left rear. A good place to cut the line in the front is right where the line passes your left foot, and in the rear right before it kicks up over the axle.

Like Sting said, flaring is easy. Go to Harbor Freight or your local parts place, pick up a double flaring tool and a mini tubing cutter, then a couple sections of pre-flare line and a union. Make your cuts the same length as the new tubes.

You can do this yourself for well under $100, including tools, lines, and brake fluid.

Stingroo
06-10-10, 10:00 AM
I borrowed the flaring tool from Advance auto. I was on a super tight budget. :p

Here's the video I used to learn, by the way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVbHk0kkX8k