: A rep from General Motors is coming to my shop tomorrow!

97EldoCoupe
06-09-10, 06:58 AM
The manager of GM Service Parts Operations in Oshawa is going to drop by my shop this morning to have a meeting regarding parts. If all goes well I'll be getting parts shipped directly from GM's warehouse at very good prices. Also he will get a chance to see my stud repair method up close.

This would be great. GM dealerships around here don't want to fix Northstars anymore. 10+ dealerships in the USA have switched to studs already- and this guy is high up- he has the power to recommend a complete switch from inserts.

Depending on the outcome of this meeting, I may be able to get parts below GM employee pricing on stuff like camshafts, lifters, gaskets & seals, pistons, rings, etc.... which would also be available to forum members....

Also I requested a quote from Delphi on 950 shocks and struts, for 98 Eldorado, 98 Devile, 98 STS, and 03 STS (Magneride). This covers many years, and will give me a rough estimate for hopefully all years of electronic suspension. This would be a HUGE order- but volume orders result in lower prices... I may need financial help in pulling this one off. I called my bank and the manager said there may be a chance in getting a business loan/LOC to help.

I know this doesn't really relate to "performance" of Northstar engines and probably shouldn't be in this forum, but I just hope there's good news soon for us guys with older Caddys who want replacement parts - cheaper -

I have my doubts about anything progressing with GM - but hoping for something from Delphi.

STSS
06-09-10, 10:01 AM
Jake, you are already THE MAN for us caddy lovers, but if you can get us cheaper OEM shocks, we may have to erect a statue!

Best of luck with GM.

97EldoCoupe
06-09-10, 11:20 AM
Thanks STSS -

The service operations manager was just here from General Motors. Wonderful news. I've established an account with GM and will be getting OEM parts at incredible prices. There is confidentiality involved and I can't mention everything, but GM is willing to work with me.

The guy's jaw dropped when he walked in to the shop. He saw a couple of my new bare blocks and parts and told me "You have got to send me pictures of this all!".

There are minimums I have to meet when it comes to ordering, but their terms are quite reasonable.

He is going to help me get dealers to switch to the stud repair method, also gave me some tips on how to market to GM -

One down. Now for Delphi-

Stingroo
06-09-10, 11:35 AM
Dude AWESOME!

Ranger
06-09-10, 11:37 AM
WOW! Great news Jake. I can see a TSB in the future regarding head bolt thread repair. Keep us posted.

STSS
06-09-10, 11:38 AM
:thumbsup:Good for you Jake!:thumbsup:

97EldoCoupe
06-09-10, 11:58 AM
Thanks all!

All I can say is I'm going to have to re-structure Northstar Performance just a bit. I can no longer be company manager / head gasket repair man. I can't keep up with it all. I'm missing important calls and emails sometimes to get a car finished. In order to move Northstar Performance forward I have to assume a manager position - I need good employees- My two that moved out West would likely work for me again, at the Manitoba location. The guy I'm training here now is doing an exceptional job with the stud installs/engine work / R&R. I won't turn anything over to him until he can be fully trusted to do the work, and then I'll still be QC for a while-

I've just about got a shipping contract secured with UPS, and shipping engines to/from the USA is going to go from over $500, down to $250 one way. UPS is more reliable too.

Many advancements are taking place and I've gotten a bit behind with my work. A few HG jobs have been slightly delayed- I just hope that my customers will understand for the next week or two, that even though I may be a bit behind, all of the work is going to get done correctly. For the time being I'm not taking any more HG jobs- after the 9 that I have in line right now, I will likely have John assume the "shop manager/foreman" position in Ontario here.

I have four engines to ship and as soon as my UPS freight account is 100% set up, the engines will be on their way.

Jeff at Engineered Performance (guy who built Mark99STS's limited slip differential) is going to work with me on replacement and performance transmissions.

Suspension is one of the road blocks - still waiting for a response from Delphi-

Thanks again everyone for all of the help so far!!!

97EldoCoupe
06-09-10, 12:08 PM
Oh - also - I just got a shipment of studs in from the USA - I am going to be switching suppliers soon - these new studs look like chrome, are smoother, have ROLLED THREADS, and are stronger. Torque tested to 110 ft. lbs. and no yielding - no stretching - Still refer to instructions for proper torque (75 ft. lbs. final pass) but this is good. Also they thread into the block with ease (no resistance from cut threads).

I still have some old stock to sell off- so only those who request ROLLED THREAD STUDS will receive these upgraded studs. Very similar in quality to A.R.P., if not matching their quality these sure can't be far off. I was getting too many from my previous supplier with nicked threads and I wasn't too happy - had to throw a bunch out.

These studs are manufactured in the USA as well as most of the parts of the stud kits. Buying these kits is supporting both the US and Canadian economies. Drill bits are also Made in USA, and the taps will be soon as well.

ga_etc
06-09-10, 12:23 PM
All great news Jake. I hope everything exceeds your expectations.

Rocket88
06-09-10, 03:03 PM
Wow.
Great news, Jake. Glad to see things are going so well. Disappointing that you will not be doing the work yourself, but I trust you will keep everything to your high standards.

Best of luck!

wallace902
06-09-10, 03:34 PM
Congratulations Jake!!

98eldo32v
06-09-10, 05:00 PM
Congratulations and continued success Jake. Keep the ball rolling........

eyekandyboats.inc
06-09-10, 09:52 PM
fantastic news Jake! i am gad to hear it all!... now lets get me some files so i can do decals and lables!!!!!

Stingroo
06-09-10, 11:18 PM
I could see a few Cadillacs wearing a "Studded By Northstar Performance for life" sticker. :thumbsup:

97EldoCoupe
06-10-10, 09:54 AM
Things are going well. But -

I am working WAY too hard. 7 days per week.

I want to do the work myself. Sometimes I take on too much work and think "I can do it" and collapse on my livingroom couch and fall asleep-

I love what I'm doing. I just simply need help- and a receptionist.

I owe a few people some apologies for delays. A few are forum members.

I will get back to all later with more updates-

eyekandy-talk to you soon-

97EldoCoupe
06-10-10, 09:55 AM
Wallace902 - Being my very first customer I owe much of this to you! THANK YOU SIR-

jaysblackcaddy
06-10-10, 10:55 AM
I have been following your posts and saw this morning that you have stopped taking any new jobs for the short term. I have a 2000 Deville that I believe needs a stud job done. Any idea when you may be back up for new customers. I am on the east coast in Connecticut and still think it would be worth my while to bring the car to you to have the work done. After reading all the positive feedback I simply don't think I'd have anyone else do it. Should I just call and get in line for a call back when all the good news for you falls into place.

97EldoCoupe
06-10-10, 01:05 PM
Hi Jay -

I am so proud to have people coming to me for their repairs! To have earned that reputation is rare and I am thankful-

I plan to have John here take over the shop for now. I plan to spend a little bit of time working on developments to automate and simplify the process (making it more efficient without sacraficing quality) because if I could keep up to the amount of work I have coming in, that would be great.

-automatic high pressure parts washer & hot air blow dryer
-more automotive equipment
-surface conditioning equipment

-chemical tank for cleaning castings & such

Since GM is doing away with the Northstar, I'd like to get ahold of some of their equipment, if that were possible-

I would like to get efficiency to the point, where, with a couple of highly skilled employees, one car would be leaving my shop every day with new head gaskets & studs & the bottom end resealed-

I think it's all possible but if I don't take some time to work on that, and set up the Manitoba shop, none of these improvements will happen.

I will keep everyone posted here. Thanks Jay-

sts2980
06-11-10, 12:11 AM
Jake, your level of commitment to both your customers and the Cadillac line is remarkable and rare. In fact, I like to research things (alot) before I make decisions, and it was your business that made me purchase my 600 dollar 98 STS when I saw the end coming near for my previous car.
If only I could find such honesty and integrity in other areas.....oh wait.....hey Jake, you know how to fix a central air conditioner, how about a transmission swap on my wifes windstar.......
happy to hear things going well, but find the balance of work and play......

ejguillot
06-11-10, 04:27 PM
Jake, congratulations on all your hard work paying off!

From a satisfied stud kit customer (installed studs early this year, 5K miles later and Absolutely no cooling system issues!) :thumbsup:

97EldoCoupe
06-11-10, 07:42 PM
sts2980 - I know what you do for a living - and I can judge your character by the way you speak and treat others - read part of my signature: Many times your hard work and dedication goes unappreciated. I'm sure there have been others, but let me be one to say thank you for all you do and all you tolerate on a daily basis to keep people safe. I know it's not an easy job. Since you're here; please be advised that as you read through my posts, you will read about my obsession with engine performance and a bit of racing at the 1/4 mile track in Sparta.....oh boy.....there's a time and a place for everything, and have no worries I'm not a street racer, I won't exceed the limits in town or around people, I know better-

As for the Windstar, I could put a Northstar and a 4T80 in it with a new TCC solenoid and converter, that would be the end of your problems with it! You and your wife would be side by side at the dragstrip, the Windstar pulling a 14 second 1/4 mile.....:highfive:

EJGuillot - I'm very happy to hear that all went well with your HG job and stud install! Nothing is nicer than cruising in a 2000 STS and giving it WOT every now and then to clean out the carbon. I am just finishing up a 2002 STS right now, and it sounded like a diesel because of combustion chamber carbon build-up. It was REAL BAD. The carbon was causing piston slap! I hope you enjoy your STS for years to come.

Destroyer
06-11-10, 10:07 PM
but I just hope there's good news soon for us guys with older Caddys who want replacement parts - cheaper -

Good luck with this venture man. There is however good news for guys with older Caddy's who need replacement parts. ME. The N*'s are giving back. I am having Northstar cars dismantled and sold for parts and then scrapped. Right now I have a kid taking apart my '99 Eldorado and I just bought a '97 STS today to be taken apart. Started out as a joke but these cars bring some decent money parted out. I already did a Mark VIII and those bring more money in parts but the Cadillacs are ok. I really get to live up to my name now, lol. A friend of mine who is a mechanic suggested taking cars apart, sounds like too much work to me. So I made a deal, he can use one of my warehouses rip them apart, I'll help sell the parts and I give him some money. So far so good and I'm not breaking a sweat over it. I'm not just doing N* Cadillac's even though I rather enjoy taking them off the road. I'm doing any high end luxury cars and sports cars, foreign and domestic. It's kinda fun as a side thing.

ponyboyt
06-12-10, 05:47 PM
The used parts market has been crazy around here, i havent been able to keep up, cant get the parts fast enough. I've had more than a few i had to ask to hold off hoping that this parts deal goes through for you. Actualy have 2 complete suspension systems here in great shape but ive asked people to wait and see what the prices are like... then again mayne im jsut doing that because i now have a 99 AND a 98 (well.. almost) to finish...

I know exactly how you feel Jake. My line of work is a lot less labor intensive, but i know what the hours are like. I find myself looking out the window lots of mornings and seeing the sky getting brighter, and realising i have a day job to be at in a couple hours. Thats why i have 2 phones now ;) I can shut the "help line" off when i need to.

Im brain storming, gimme a shout when you have 5 free.

sts2980
06-12-10, 08:17 PM
AWESOME!!!! Windstar with a Northstar.....:cool2:
ok, back to reality (I like what you thinking tho)
Considering testing the waters for a loan (I HATE DEBT...but sometimes you have to) and dropping 10-15 grand down on a good used Suburban or Yukon XL.
As far as the street racing goes......I told you a fews days ago I used to have a buick grand national....let me tell you I am to this day shocked I retained my licence..although the Halton Regional Boys may have seized my black beauty once or twice....:helpless:

97EldoCoupe
06-13-10, 09:47 AM
sts2980 - I guess we all had our toys and our fun -

Still miss my 1985 Pontiac Parisienne Brougham - that 403 could lay rubber from here until tomorrow. I used it to tow a trailer occasionally. A Lincoln Town Car once tried to pass me, I had the trailer behind (1500-2000 lbs), and I figured I'd see what he had under the hood - when he got up beside me I gave it WOT, and he could not pass. I eventually let him- but it was priceless to see the look on his face :)

Power is concentrated in the hands of a few. It just has to be used responsibly. That goes for a 300 hp Cadillac, a chainsaw, a 747 Jet, the power to change laws (yes you Mr. McGuinty you're not using your power responsibly), a power drill....... Power can accomplish a lot and it can also do a lot of damage. If that law that us Ontarians are faced with, would remove the street racers from the road who seem to think that 150km/h through a town or city is FUN, I'd have a lot less to say about it. The reality is they're handcuffing the wrong people.

One thing the government will NEVER change. We love our cars, we love to play around with them, give them WOT once in a while, and we are going to do that regardless of the laws they impose. with EPA and MNR emission laws getting stricter, it's more difficult to soup up our toys and keep them road legal, but it's still going to be done. The invention that Mr. Henry Ford, Robert Eli Olds, Louis Chevrolet, and many others built and mass-produced, got the USA and Canada to where it is now. They're forgetting this.

97EldoCoupe
06-13-10, 09:53 AM
Destroyer we may have to do a little bit of business someday with the Northstar parts thing.... good luck with the venture! :thumbsup: Just don't destroy any black on black ETCs that are in decent condition....

Submariner409
06-13-10, 10:08 AM
Destroyer, IF you part out a 2002 STS in Crimson Pearl, let me know.
Jim

sts2980
06-13-10, 02:16 PM
Dont mean to stray off topic here, but is that the same motor they used to put in the Pre 83 Trans ams? (I think it works out to 6.6 litres?)
If so I have a few experiences with that motor too.....
Had a lot of good times in an 84 Berlinetta with a 305 in it....Still searching for the 87-91 Black on Black IROC with a 350 TPI and 700R4......once I find one in my wheelhouse.....will beg and plea to wife.....and she will say no.....but I stay at it, (like I did with the STS-was a 3 week initiative to get approval) I will own one.....Cars of our youth....I got my licence in 1994, first car was an 85 K-Car, I still love it, and all of its deficientcies....it keeps us young at heart, I know once my boy is old enough, he will be a car guy too.....and he and Dad will find a resto project....hey...maybe it will be the old IROC I want so bad.....

97EldoCoupe
06-13-10, 04:41 PM
The 403 Olds was built from 77-79, so three years. It was installed in almost all of GM's full size cars as the biggest engine option available, code L80 if I remember correctly. The only option was a 4 barrel carb, power produced was between 180 and 200 hp (and that was B.S. they put out WAY more). They were also installed in the Olds Cutlass and the Pontiac T/A - actually the Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am was a 403 and not the Pontiac 400.

They had a bore of 4.351", the biggest bore of any GM engine at the time, and a stroke of 3.385", so it was oversquare and revved up REAL quick. I had headers and true duals on my Parisienne and it sounded SOOO nice..... they were also fuel efficient. I got above 20mpg with mine, but it was coupled to a 200-4R and 2.93:1 gears so it was only idling at 55MPH -

ryannel2003
06-13-10, 04:53 PM
Destroyer, let me know if you're parting out a 98+ Seville STS. Sub called first dibs but i'm looking for some parts on my Seville.

Jake, let me known when you're getting your suspension parts in. My STS is going to need front struts within the next 30k miles and I'd love to replace them with OEM Delphi parts. If I can do that, I'm gonna go with Monroe's aftermarket CVRSS system which is only $400 per side. GM's prices are absolutely absurd.

Stingroo
06-13-10, 04:56 PM
Sounds like my wagon. :) It's epic, sounds great, and I get like 20 city 24 highway. :) I love GM V8's. So awesome.

hueterm
06-13-10, 06:56 PM
Destroyer, let me know if you're parting out a 98+ Seville STS. Sub called first dibs but i'm looking for some parts on my Seville.

Jake, let me known when you're getting your suspension parts in. My STS is going to need front struts within the next 30k miles and I'd love to replace them with OEM Delphi parts. If I can do that, I'm gonna go with Monroe's aftermarket CVRSS system which is only $400 per side. GM's prices are absolutely absurd.

Let me know how those Monroes do, if that's what you end up with. My ETC will need them before long....

Destroyer
06-13-10, 10:17 PM
The used parts market has been crazy around here, i havent been able to keep up, cant get the parts fast enough. I've had more than a few i had to ask to hold off hoping that this parts deal goes through for you. Actualy have 2 complete suspension systems here in great shape but ive asked people to wait and see what the prices are like... then again mayne im jsut doing that because i now have a 99 AND a 98 (well.. almost) to finish...

So you are parting out cars too?

Destroyer
06-13-10, 10:21 PM
Destroyer, IF you part out a 2002 STS in Crimson Pearl, let me know.
Jim
Hey Sub, if one comes along I'll let you know. Right now I'm passing up on a lot of N* cars but they are usually mid 90's Devilles. It's 95+ degrees in Florida right now and these things seem to be blowing H/G's like crazy.

Destroyer
06-13-10, 10:22 PM

Will do. :cool2:

Rocket88
06-13-10, 11:10 PM
The 403 Olds was built from 77-79, so three years. It was installed in almost all of GM's full size cars as the biggest engine option available, code L80 if I remember correctly. The only option was a 4 barrel carb, power produced was between 180 and 200 hp (and that was B.S. they put out WAY more). They were also installed in the Olds Cutlass and the Pontiac T/A - actually the Smokey and the Bandit Trans Am was a 403 and not the Pontiac 400.

They had a bore of 4.351", the biggest bore of any GM engine at the time, and a stroke of 3.385", so it was oversquare and revved up REAL quick. I had headers and true duals on my Parisienne and it sounded SOOO nice..... they were also fuel efficient. I got above 20mpg with mine, but it was coupled to a 200-4R and 2.93:1 gears so it was only idling at 55MPH -

Just to clarify, the 77 Trans Am used in Smokey and the Bandit was indeed a Pontiac 400. Pontiac was building their own engines through 1978. The 403 didn't become ubiquitous in the Trans Am until 1979. For what it is worth, the 403 ALWAYS was equipped with an automatic transmission. All the hi-po Trans Ams through 1979 used the 400 with a 4 speed.

Major problem with the 403 was in oiling. Just didn't like to get oil up to the heads. So, while it COULD rev like crazy, it couldn't do it for a long time without blowing itself up.

Overall, a very nice engine.

Stingroo
06-13-10, 11:20 PM
I thought the Trans Am in Smokey and the Bandit was a '78?

edb150
06-13-10, 11:33 PM
Good luck Jake, hope it all works out. If you were close to Illinois I would give you a hand. I know how you feel with the long hours,I cant seem to ever get caught up. The HG jobs are dropping from the sky it seems. ps when you get a chance send me those parts we talked about. :thumbsup:

Rocket88
06-14-10, 08:53 AM
I thought the Trans Am in Smokey and the Bandit was a '78?

Nope. It is a 1977 Y82 special edition Trans Am.

sts2980
06-14-10, 09:38 AM
http://toronto.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1998-Cadillac-STS-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ210703373

no shortage of parts vehicles around southern Ontario, the one above is a pearl with tan interior, and is located in Oakville, Ontario, about 5 minutes from my house, and roughly 20 minutes west of Toronto. Asking a $1000, but I bet could be towed away for 500-600.

ponyboyt
06-14-10, 10:47 AM
So you are parting out cars too?

usualy when i need a bunch of stuff for a car, i find another car. My 97 needed control arms, i bought a 98 deville with new control arms and an entire new front end, for 700 bucks.

scrapped the body and sold off some other stuff, made my money back and got a whole front end for my car.

I also just picked up a 98 Z-rated STS with 110,000km's and no keys, for $700. Programmed the key that the dealer couldnt program and the car runs awesome. It hadn't ran in 11 months. On first start there wasn't even a small puff of smoke. Clear as hell, smooth and quiet. Everything under the heads has under 20,000km's.

Oh, it needed a tensioner.

Billy2012
06-14-10, 03:32 PM
Jake
My head gasket failed and I used your website to locate North Texas Performance. Tony just came and drove away in my 2000 STS today and he said it will be ready in 4 days.

I look forward to posting how great your studs are. Would have driven from Texas to Canada if it were possible.....

ponyboyt
06-15-10, 11:22 AM
Would have driven from Texas to Canada if it were possible.....

Drove mine 20+ kms with 0 coolant. Shut the car off at the shop and it fired right back up, needle was pinned.

Texas is kinda far though....

97EldoCoupe
06-16-10, 11:31 AM
Thank you Billy, Tony is top notch. I am literally swamped right now - just on a short break so I've gotta get back to work.

Either I need more sleep or I need more coffee - a 1/2 hour ago I saw my dog chase a turkey down my driveway. BANDIT THAT WAS MY LUNCH! I love having a shop a bit out in the country - you never know what you're going to see next....

Billy2012
06-16-10, 04:21 PM
I have been at the shop most of the day.... Tony is also doing a 99 Eldorado and I had the opportunity to see the bolts installed! Very cool.

Billy2012
06-16-10, 04:28 PM
I have attached a pic of the 99 head bolts

Submariner409
06-16-10, 06:17 PM
Studs ?

Nice stud design work, Jake. That's the real thing.

97EldoCoupe
06-16-10, 11:27 PM
Thank you Jim! The new ones that I've been shipping out with the rolled threads are really an improvement.

Over the last few weeks I have realized where I am most needed.

I believe I will finish up the cars I have here right now and stop taking bookings for a little while.

To all who have been emailing me with no reply- please hang in there- I'm either sleeping or working right now-

ponyboyt
06-17-10, 12:38 PM
Sigh...

Jake I bought another one. I think I need addiction counseling.

Oh well, at least this one doesn't need an engine.

waspie
06-17-10, 02:31 PM
i just ordered a stud kit on the 15th (emailed you from waspers @ ) and since I hadn't rec'd a shipping notice I'm wondering if I'll be getting the revised stud kit. If I have to ask to get it (as previously stated) than consider this as me asking for the revised kit :)
thanks!

here's a pic of two of the four total studs with threads left on them. these two pulled out the complete set of threads from the bottom up to where they were sealed (the other 2 only pulled a few threads).

this is my first northstar and i have to say its not nearly as bad as people have built it up to be, wouldn't mind doing a few more of these (got a wedding to pay for, the more side work i can do the better!)

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/5528/20100617142839.jpg

ponyboyt
06-17-10, 11:22 PM
o ya, Jake go nuts and use the old studs on mine, unless you need a test subject close to home?

97EldoCoupe
06-18-10, 09:05 AM
All engines I do here are using the time tested older studs. Waspie I'm pretty sure your kit did ship - let me check on that a bit later (please send me an email looking for tracking #) and I think I did send one of the revised kits out to you-

97EldoCoupe
06-18-10, 09:21 AM
Waspie - it was the revised kit sent. I will send an email to the one you paid with in a minute -

waspie
06-18-10, 09:59 PM
thanks jake :thumbsup:

codewize
06-21-10, 10:52 PM
A rep from GM is showing the CTS coupe at my local dealer this Friday. The dealer has invited our CLC club to be present for the viewing.