: WTH: "theft modleu" needs replacing and lost key.

Rickerbucks
06-08-10, 02:23 PM
Can I get some direction form you guys.

An autobody shop lost my key. They bought a new one from dealer A. They told me to take it to a local dealer (B) and have them set it up and give them the bill.

dealer B tries once to set key but aftetr NUMEROUS hours is unable to. Charge me $150.

i go back to body shop, who call dealer A who says that i go back to dealer B and ask they set up a new key under warranty.

Go back to dealer B and they try again but say i should go to a Caddy dealership.

Go to Dealer C. After two hours they have fugured out the theft module needs replacing.....that will cost $800.....WTF.

I said...forget it...I'm picking the car up.

1. What does a theft module cost in the US as oppossed to the massively overpriced cost in Canada?
2. Can anyone replace it or does GM have to do it.
3. Is there a plan B that deactivates the theft module to at least get the second key to work.
4. This is SO MUCH BS.....a lost key is going to cost $1300 - $1500....ABSURD. I'm sure the autobody shop is going to balk at that cost. I'm embarrassed to even suggest it to them.

perfect
06-08-10, 02:37 PM
Never heard of that but if the autobody shop lost your key then they are responsible for replacing and repairing any and all parts required.

I'd be even more pissed that an autobody shop "lost" my car keys. Ever watched "Gone in 60 Seconds"?? I'd force them to pay to have my entire car re-keyed. An employee could have easily slipped that key to somebody on the outside to steal your car!!

calidave
06-08-10, 03:19 PM
Never heard of that but if the autobody shop lost your key then they are responsible for replacing and repairing any and all parts required.

I'd be even more pissed that an autobody shop "lost" my car keys. Ever watched "Gone in 60 Seconds"?? I'd force them to pay to have my entire car re-keyed. An employee could have easily slipped that key to somebody on the outside to steal your car!!

Yeah. You don't just "lose" keys, not at an auto shop. I would definitely have the car re-keyed.

Besides, if you tell them it'll cost $1500, or tell them they have to re-key your car, I'd wager they "find" your key in short order.

Andringa
06-08-10, 05:06 PM
I'm confused. When I bought an extra key, getting the new key to work was simple.

If I remember correctly it is something along the lines of.
Start car with Key #1
Remove Key #1
With in 10 seconds try to start car with Key #2
The car now recognizes Key #2 as a valid key.

I also think that there is some procedure to remove the lost key from the computer. So even if someone has your old key they could use it to open the door, but not start the car.

Rickerbucks
06-08-10, 05:34 PM
This all happened about 8 months ago and I'm still dealing with this key issue. She actully fired the lot boy that day as I gather this was now the first pefromance isue with the kid.

Rickerbucks
06-08-10, 07:00 PM
I'm confused. When I bought an extra key, getting the new key to work was simple.

If I remember correctly it is something along the lines of.
Start car with Key #1
Remove Key #1
With in 10 seconds try to start car with Key #2
The car now recognizes Key #2 as a valid key.

I also think that there is some procedure to remove the lost key from the computer. So even if someone has your old key they could use it to open the door, but not start the car.

They claim the "theft module" is not funtioning and that they cannot reprogram the new second key to the car.

Gus_Mahn
06-08-10, 11:41 PM
I know if I ever get a tune, that all theft prevention will turned off.

Andringa
06-08-10, 11:44 PM
Sorry to hear that you have been dealing with this for so long.
I find it weird that the module would work well enough to identify your old key, while having a problem learning a new key.

Is it possible, that the new key that they bought for you, is either broken or not the correct part? I don't know how specific the keys are, could they have accidentally bought you a key for an sts or some other model?

Rickerbucks
06-09-10, 01:28 AM
Frankly that is why I came here to see if anyone had ideas.

Can the 'theft module" be de-activated with software?

heavymetals
06-09-10, 01:55 AM
Is the Onstar working?

If so call and explain.

"What should I know about the Immobilizer?

The Immobilizer is a passive theft-deterrent system. The system works when you turn the key to ON. The key uses a transponder that matches an immobilizer control unit in your vehicle. The correct key will start the vehicle."

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/gmfaq.html#8

http://www.teamzr1.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2148

odla
06-09-10, 07:19 AM
I would have got a letter from the auto shop stating that they are paying for the fix then gone back to the cadi dealer and did whatever they wanted to fix it. I would have got an estimate for the work to be done brought it to the autoshop and told them that they are going with me to pick up the car so THEY can pay the bill right there and then.

heavymetals
06-09-10, 12:11 PM
Frankly that is why I came here to see if anyone had ideas.

Can the 'theft module" be de-activated with software?

NO.

If it was that easy, there would be more stolen cars. :thepan:

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-09-10, 02:18 PM
I would have to suggest for you to speak with the GM of Canada Cadillac department. They would be able to help you best with this issue. Their phone number is 1-888-446-2000. I hope this helps you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Gus_Mahn
06-09-10, 11:44 PM
NO.

If it was that easy, there would be more stolen cars. :thepan:That's not right. SkullV turned it off on his '05 with a tuner. Not sure if you can get into the software without the transponder key though.

Rickerbucks
06-10-10, 12:21 AM
That's not right. SkullV turned it off on his '05 with a tuner. Not sure if you can get into the software without the transponder key though.

Well I do have the one key that still works

heavymetals
06-10-10, 01:26 AM
Well I do have the one key that still works

Why the heck didn't you say that in the first place?

Your theft module is fine.

The key is formatted for the module, not the other way around.

http://www.gmkeyremotes.com/?id=1215340&page=blogComments&blogId=124388

Very simple to!

http://www.cheapfobs.com/blog/key-programming/gm-mazda-ford/

source for key blank:

https://www.ikeyless.com/vehicles/cadillac/CTS/2005

Rickerbucks
06-10-10, 08:38 AM
I see BUT.......that is not working.

I have one original key that works. I bought a new second key from GM. I have had two dealerships that have spent several hours (and charged me $400) trying tot get the second key to work.

The fob works. It locks and unlocks. You put it the key and turn, the car turns over, catches and then stalls. A warning light comes on the screen "Key disabled" or something.. The GM dealers claim that after all their work they have determined the theft module needs to be replaced. Candidly I don't think that is the answer because as I say....$1300 to replace a key is BS.

heavymetals
06-10-10, 12:30 PM
If you read the procedure, you don't even need the dealer.

Rickerbucks
06-10-10, 11:41 PM
UNBELIEVABLE....

I read the instructions on the webiste and tried it.....No go.

I then went to the users manual....

"CDN owners...you require to have TWO keys to be able to service and reprogram a key. If you loose one....please visit your dealer".

I'm fit to be TIED.

Its just a waste of my TIME to write a lengthy letter to someone to GM to express my frustration.

heavymetals
06-11-10, 12:56 AM
So Canadian owners get hosed again.......:thepan:

heavymetals
06-11-10, 03:02 PM
Why write a letter?

You were given a phone # to call (by the Canadian rep no less).

You finally get around to reading the directions, and quite frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if you bought the wrong key blank. :thepan:

IMO it would be worth the $30 to find out if you really do need two keys to duplicate a key.

I can't see GM changing the system for Canada, but then who knows?

Call the #.

Rickerbucks
06-13-10, 10:02 PM
You know what....I will....I'll call that number tomorrow...

Thank folks.....I'll report back.