: head dowels

Harry Yarnell
06-08-10, 03:21 PM
I know this has been addressed before, but I didn't note it at the time, nor can I find it in the FAQ.
What's the best way to remove the four head dowels/pins from the block?

tateos
06-08-10, 05:55 PM
I don't know if it's the best way, but what I did, and it worked for me, is:

I inserted a bolt that fit snugly, but not too tight, in the dowel, so it wouldn't collapse; I actually used an old wheel stud I had laying around. Then, I clamped down on the outside of the dowel with 10" round jaw vice grip pliers, and turned, tapped, and pried, until the dowels came out. I put a putty knife against the deck (the block surface) to protect it, when I pried between it and the vice grips. I marred up and knurled the outer surface of the dowels somewhat - I ground down the raised portions on my bench grinder. I could have bought new dowels at the dealer, but just didn't bother. I inverted the dowels and inserted the previously "up" side down, into the block, just in case they were a little hard to insert due to the vice grip jaw marks...but they went in just fine. This left the fairly pristine side of the dowel on top, for the heads to drop down onto, which they did - perfectly. If you are using Jake's studs, you can discard the dowels - the appropriate studs already have the dowel machines in

edb150
06-08-10, 10:42 PM
Heres what i do. I have a bushing that fits around the dowel snugly(same height). I put a hose clamp around that so it does not split. I have a set of short extractors( about an inch long) that i put inside the dowel.The extractors have a hex for a socket which I break loose by hand with a ratchet and then an impact to spin it out while prying on it with a flatblade screwdriver. I clean them up on a grinder and also invert them. They are around 5.00 at the dealer .The bushing is an old starter bushing.once its out I usually hold the dowel with a vise grip and tighten the extractor which twists it out of the dowel. Did 4 today and saved them all

Ranger
06-08-10, 10:53 PM
Another method I saw posted here.

Insert an appropriate sized threaded rod and weld it to the dowel. Drop a larger diameter piece of pipe over the rod. Now put a washer and a nut on the rod and tighten it down, pulling the dowel. It should not take more than a spot weld or two and you will obviously want to cover the head to prevent any platter.

Harry Yarnell
06-12-10, 03:07 PM
Absolutely slick! Ranger's post was a joy to try. And succeed. Had all four out in 15 minutes