: Motorcycles anyone?

carguy16
08-29-04, 05:50 PM
Anyone here interested in motorcycleS? Im not talking about Harley Davidson, although I wouldnt mind having one, Im talking about fast ones like Suzuki and such...

I've seen some really nice motor cycles out there, some have great painted colors, and just look awesome, I'd love to take one out for a spin.

On the other hand, I would be scared to death to take one out for a spin! I rode on a Harley last year as a passenger without a helmet, for about 10 minutes and was that scary! I was looking every where think a car would plow into us and I would be eating pavement. :( I might consider getting a motor cycle if I traveled in a convoy and we all had assault rifles, you know, to deter off any jack asses that want to tail gate us or give a hard time...

And of course, helmet! No way in hell would I ever go out with out one, they can save your life. A leather jacket is a plus as well, would anyone ever wear shin guards and knee guards while reading a motor cycle? Id be tempted to do that, you know just in case anything bad happens.

Pricing isnt that bad either. Anyone know what the 0-60 on them, quarter of a mile is either? I havnt been able to find any web sites that give away information.

barge master
08-29-04, 07:41 PM
Motorcycles rule dude. I have a Sportster, and while it's not my dream bike, it sure is a blast to own. Riding on the back of one is very unsettling, don't base your opinion on that. A lot of people will tell the horror stories about this person they knew who died and don't do it blah blah,but who doesn't know of someone killed in a car? Once you get a bike, things are never the same again. You'll never want to be without one either. BTW I'm really not that into Harleys, they look nice and make a lot of noise, but they are overpriced and way too antiquated. I'm getting a Yammy V-MAX next or a Road Star Warrior. Something that the throttle is more than a volume control.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-29-04, 07:59 PM
I ride this bad mother :
Getting ready to bore and stroke it out another 21cc...should be good for a bit more speed

http://www.pocketbikeplanet.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=513&size=big&sort=1&cat=500

Use to have a Suzuki RM125 Dirt bike(among other 2 wheeled fun machines) , sold it before i left alaska , looking at Buell Lightnings ..probably buy one in '07(after college )

By the way , rideing a good real motorcycle is a nice break from the everyday world of 4 wheels and steel , give a nice connection to the road and whats around you ...It almost feels like your decideing what happens next or something ..hard to explain , in a car its like a taped show , but on a bike its like your really there and its live TV ....

But these pocketbikes are a ton of fun because they are so responsive , albiet not street legal ...But ive found a few good parkinglots and i have a blast ! :drinker

barge master
08-29-04, 08:18 PM
Those things are all over now. They look like a lot of fun.

Stoneage_Caddy
08-29-04, 08:22 PM
therea ton of fun , but your right there everywhere and none of these kids ride with any sense (on public roads)

best fun with 400 bucks i ever had (gonna be another 200 to get it bored and stroked)

D148L0
08-29-04, 09:32 PM
With bikes you get a feeling you don't get from any car... I love them. I had a custom bike and a sport yamaha. A friend of mine like to take my custom bike and give me his GSX -R 1100 for a couple of days every now and then. That one and the R-1 have amazing acceleration. You are standing still, and the next breath you take the whole world is just a blurred mix of colors... beau-ti-ful! And the way they scream...
Sold the yamaha, got a bad accident in the custom one.
However, as soon as possible I'll get a harley. :lildevil:
Best advices:
Wear a helmet and a good leather jacket.
NEVER drive drunk (duh!)
Don't speed on the streets. Specially when breaking those two.

RBraczyk
08-29-04, 11:45 PM
Lets see we have
2001 Ducati 900 Super Sport (red)
2003 Ducati 999 Monoposto Limited edition (yellow, only 100 in the us)
Both desmoquattos.

carguy16
08-30-04, 04:11 PM
I know, the sport bikes look awesome, especially the 12,500 RPM! Acceleration is a plus, Im sure you could pick up some chic's too.

I cant believe how many idiots I have seen on those Sports bikes, where they dont wear a helmet, zoom in and out of traffic, pass between two lanes of cars, and floor it in wrong situations. If anyone cuts them off, they will go flying from their bikes.

I would LOVE to put a Ninja suit on, boots and all, and have a helmet and black gloves on!!! It kinda creep's people out. Dont they actually have ninja classes out there? I cant stop thinking of Beverly Hill's Ninja, that was a good movie, or those typical Fast and Furious movies where Chineese guys on motor cycles have those automatic machine guns...Is this the movie I am thinking of??? I dont remember what movie it was, but I think there was a guy on a motor cycle in a Ninja suit...

Another thing that looks creep is popping wheels, I dont know about you, but I like both wheels on the ground, i'd be scared of falling back to much and scraping myself on the pavement and being ran over by the car behind me...

majax
08-30-04, 05:00 PM
Yeah those crotch rockets look so awesome, now that the college students are back in town I'm sein a few around. My brothers plan with his free $4,000 schalarship money is he is gona buy one off ebay brand new for like 2,000(they are there) and he'll be able to sell if for close to actual retail price. So he hopes but it could be to good to be true. Your right carguy, a lot go around w/o helmets and what not:cookoo:, such idiots oh well thats what I call natural selection ;). But those things look so sick! and go so fast its just awesome!

:cycle:

barge master
08-30-04, 09:47 PM
OOOOOH,RB got Ducatis huh? I've never ridden one but I hear they're like nothing else.

RERM
08-30-04, 09:55 PM
Dream bike...Aprilia's, yes Ducati and Honda are more popular, but these two look awesome!!! :worship:

RBraczyk
08-30-04, 10:58 PM
I'll take some pic's, gotta find my POS camera.

SuperSport
09-05-04, 10:48 AM
Anyone here interested in motorcycleS? Im not talking about Harley Davidson, although I wouldnt mind having one, Im talking about fast ones like Suzuki and such...

How's a 100+ horse/100+ lb ft tq 95" Twin Cam in a Dyna chassis grab ya? It may not be a crotch rocket but it'll stretch your arms out and ball your @ss up on the seat when you whack the throttle. An American made, air cooled, push rod Big Twin has a soul unlike all of the plastic clad, overhead cammed 18,000 RPM redline jap stuff that seems to be all the rage now. To each their own but it's like comparing a '70 Big Block Chevelle SS with a buzzed out Honda Civic.
Just my $.02...

Stoneage_Caddy
09-05-04, 10:51 AM
because its all about torque !!!!!!!

gimme LB FT over big redlines anyday

Swangin-&-Bangin
09-05-04, 01:25 PM
Nothing is like rolling down the highway streched out over a Chopper!!! I'd give just about anything to be able to get back in the saddle... Here are some pics of my late S&S 107 CI, 03 Big Dog Chopper... R.I.P. :(

Before the Accident
http://www.directconnectwholesale.com/Mp3/Chopper_Front.jpg

http://www.directconnectwholesale.com/Mp3/Trailer_side.jpg

http://www.directconnectwholesale.com/Mp3/trailer_back.jpg

At the accident
http://www.directconnectwholesale.com/Mp3/exhibit7.jpg

At the pound
http://www.directconnectwholesale.com/Mp3/pound_side.jpg

SuperSport
09-05-04, 01:43 PM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune S-&-B. The chop looked good! The after pics were painful to see.

Swangin-&-Bangin
09-05-04, 01:47 PM
Sorry to hear of your misfortune S-&-B. The chop looked good! The after pics were painful to see.

It's ok,, I'm happy with still being alive!!!

Swangin-&-Bangin
09-05-04, 01:57 PM
I also owned a GSXR 750 at the time of the accident.. After I got my chopper I never rode the pocket rocket any more. Thankfully so.. I think if I would have been on my GSXR I would definitely not be here.. I can't believe how well the chopper took the impact. I think the stretched out forks & strong frame acted as crumple zones which absorbed a lot of the impact. The GSXR would have disintegrated in such a high impact collision.. The State Trooper testified that they believe it was at least a 100mph impact.. I was at least going 50mph in one direction and the truck that hit me was going at least 50mph in the other direction.. There was no braking by me nor the driver of the truck.... Head on with a 1970 Chevy Pickup on the highway.... My bike totaled the truck also..
http://www.directconnectwholesale.com/Mp3/exhibit11.jpg

1caddy96
09-05-04, 02:34 PM
hey yeah definately buy a bike! i was looking into getting one then got my permit. the next day i bought a bike, brand new '03 Suzuki Intruder, Sportster 800. I never even rode before. i bought the bike last fall and drove it as much as i could all winter. I drove up to Laconia New Hampshire for Bike Week. No helmets up there and it was awesome me and my girlfreind had the times of our lives. it was THE greatest investment i ever made. infact i need a bigger bike now, not enough umphh!

barge master
09-05-04, 07:52 PM
Holy shiwow SnB !! You must have an angel on your shoulder. Forget the freakin bike, just the fact you didn't get the toe tag is unreal. How bad did you get hurt, was it one of those year in the hospital deals?

Swangin-&-Bangin
09-06-04, 02:10 AM
Holy shiwow SnB !! You must have an angel on your shoulder. Forget the freakin bike, just the fact you didn't get the toe tag is unreal. How bad did you get hurt, was it one of those year in the hospital deals?

I lost my left leg mid thigh down... It actually happed at 3:30AM Sept 6th, 2003.. It will be a year exactly tonite.. I was in the hospital that did the amputation for about 2 weeks. Then I went to a rehab hospital and was released to go home on Oct 3rd, 2003...

barge master
09-06-04, 07:15 AM
Well, I guess that beats the paralysis or TBI route. One of my buddys lost a leg above the knee and it was tough watching how dicouraged he became trying to recover. In the end he accepted his fate, and adapted to it quite well. Losing a knee made it tougher to get going for sure. I learned a lot about life watching him. It's amazing how many one legged people walk among us, pardon the pun. I know probably 3 others. That's just the chance you take with a bike. It ain't scarin' me none. Do you see yourself riding again?

Swangin-&-Bangin
09-06-04, 11:56 AM
Well, I guess that beats the paralysis or TBI route. One of my buddys lost a leg above the knee and it was tough watching how dicouraged he became trying to recover. In the end he accepted his fate, and adapted to it quite well. Losing a knee made it tougher to get going for sure. I learned a lot about life watching him. It's amazing how many one legged people walk among us, pardon the pun. I know probably 3 others. That's just the chance you take with a bike. It ain't scarin' me none. Do you see yourself riding again?

I really don't like trikes, and I don't think I can ride a regular bike anymore. So I don't think I will be riding again.

carguy16
09-06-04, 08:33 PM
I also owned a GSXR 750 at the time of the accident.. After I got my chopper I never rode the pocket rocket any more. Thankfully so.. I think if I would have been on my GSXR I would definitely not be here.. I can't believe how well the chopper took the impact. I think the stretched out forks & strong frame acted as crumple zones which absorbed a lot of the impact. The GSXR would have disintegrated in such a high impact collision.. The State Trooper testified that they believe it was at least a 100mph impact.. I was at least going 50mph in one direction and the truck that hit me was going at least 50mph in the other direction.. There was no braking by me nor the driver of the truck.... Head on with a 1970 Chevy Pickup on the highway.... My bike totaled the truck also..
http://www.directconnectwholesale.com/Mp3/exhibit11.jpg

That's the one thing that really, scares me about motorcycles. I dont know whats safer, a Geo Metro or a motorcycle???

barge master
09-07-04, 10:28 PM
Let me lay it out this way CG16 and tell me if it makes sense to you.

Consider all the bike crashes in a given period of time, and take away:

Drunk bar crawler cowboys on Harleys
Insane young guys on crotch rockets going at mach 1
People with bad tires/brakes etc... on their bikes
Inexperienced, nervous or daydreaming riders
People who for whatever reason, did not use their heads and see they were coming upon a potentially dangerous situation and act accordingly

These are all catagories you can choose not to belong to if you wish, and a lot of wrecks fit into them.
That leaves deer and other animals running into the road
Unforseen sudden actions by others that will crash a car just as easily and cannot be avoided. Usually due to :drinker
Hazards like fuel spilled on the road

It is all up to you for the most part, sometimes it's just your time to go and you can't escape that. I don't know what the circumstances of SnB's crash were, but I haven't seen too many that didn't have some role on the part of the rider that could have minimized it. My buddys crash was because he wasn't paying attention. He got hit head on and it wasn't technically his fault, but even he says he should have seen it coming.
If you decide to do it just remember, ride like everybody on the road was out to kill you, and no booze EVER, not one drop. You need your 100% reflexes and judgement so you can SPEED SAFELY!!! :thumbsup:

Swangin-&-Bangin
09-07-04, 11:06 PM
In most cases the rider usually has something to do with the accident. But my accident was completely out of my hands.. The details are..
18 year old drunk & high on weed driver going down the wrong way on a 4 lane toll road. The accident happen right as I topped a hill. There was no time to make any evasive maneuvers... I don't drink nor do I smoke... I beleive that everything happen for a reason. Maybe the reason behind this happing to me was to show people that miracles still do happen. I didnt even have a helment on and when I was thrown in the air off the bike I pancaked on the ground head first. I sustained a c1 fractured vertabrae, a dislocated right arm, fractured pelvis, & the loss of my left leg. I have no earthly idea how I survived this. I know people and have seen peeople get killed on there motorcycles who mearly hit a curb..... The kid who hit me was sentenced to a half way house and 10 years probation. He got off with not going to jail because he did not have a prior record

But with all this said.. I still would jump on another bike if I could... There is nothing like it!!!

rollincatera
09-07-04, 11:08 PM
bikes are fun....but you've got to be careful.

i ride an 03' buell firebolt xb9r.

you can see it parked next to my catera ;)

rollincatera
09-07-04, 11:10 PM
nice thing about those new buells in the gastank/oil tank is intergrated into the frame of the bike...

the exhaust is underneath the bike. it corners like no other motorcycle on the face of this earth.

the front brake on this thing is also one of a kind....makes stoppies a breeze ;)

Stoneage_Caddy
09-07-04, 11:33 PM
YES ! finnaly a buell owner ...

How does that bike treat you ? Im still mulling over a lightning low .....Used ducattis are tempting me tho ....

rollincatera
09-08-04, 07:28 AM
it treats me great man...the handling on the thing is like non-other. that is one thing i can out meneuver anyone in...Anyone.

any challenges?

barge master
09-08-04, 06:44 PM
Yeah SnB, you are one lucky guy, and big props to you also for the positive attitude about it. That is a life altering event, and all you can do is accept it and live to fight another day. Keep on keepin' on bro.
Rollin' you got good taste in bikes there. I was looking at a Lightning the other day and it was tempting. As much as I'd like a crotch rocket though, the riding position is too bent over. Plus I still have a streak of total recklessness and that would only exasperate the situation.

Caddy Man
09-08-04, 11:35 PM
i like crotch rockets...but WOW...this bike caught my eye the first time i saw it...abosultley stunnin,...a work of art. I need to have one!!!! :worship: Harley Davidson V-Rod

rollincatera
09-09-04, 09:31 AM
i really liked the vrods when they first came out too..

Stoneage_Caddy
09-09-04, 10:38 AM
i like the engine in it more than anything , someting about a porsche designed harley engine .....

carguy16
09-09-04, 03:21 PM
Anyone know what insurance would be for one of these crotch rocket motorcycles???

Body injury would probably be high...And they would crumble easily in an accident...They go fast and have lots of HP...= Out the window insurance?

68CoupeDeVille
09-09-04, 03:53 PM
If you want a stylish sportbike with loads of torque and a sporty ride that won't break your back (a la Ducati) or your bank your best bet is the Suzuki SV1000S. With good cans it makes a sweet rumble as loud as a Buell or Ducati and you don't have to worry about the severe quality issues Buell has had and the short service intervals of Ducati's Desmo valve train.

My insurance is only 40$/month. But it's the bare minimum. No collision and no theft coverage. Just liability. So if someone jacks it or if I wreck it I'm stuck making payments on scrap aluminum. Theft adds something like $2000 more/year, and full collision coverage for a bike like that with a 22 year old driver is about $4500/year (More than half the cost of the bike! Out the window, for sure!!). But the required minimums are acutally pretty cheap. Makes sense: if I hit someone in a car I'll do minimal damage to their vehicle. My bike and my body will be destroyed but...

Don't forget that wearables have to be replaced more often on a sportbike than on a car. Sport tires are gonna last you, at most, 5k miles. Oil change intervals are shorter, and you have to pay close attention to the wear and tear of your suspension components, shock fluid has to be changed sooner than you'll think.

It's all worth it though.

Swangin-&-Bangin
09-09-04, 06:46 PM
I had full coverage on my Chopper and liabilty on my Suzuki GSXR 750.. The full coverage for my Chop (valued at $35,000) ran me $350 per month, and liabitly on my gsxr was about $50 per month..

rollincatera
09-09-04, 10:46 PM
yeah insurance is no joke on those things. i think they quoted me 2k/year for my bike. .... i pay 200 every 6months and have nothing but liability.