: Damage estimate on my V?

biiz1957
06-06-10, 07:12 AM
Negotiated a left turn ....a little to fast.... and hit the curb hard on the right rear tire. Barely limped it home. Now right rear tire aims right... a lot.... and the left rear tire does slightly as well. Bent axel... frame? I am sure Insurance will cover it any ideas?:mad:

TroyFleming
06-06-10, 08:07 AM
Well it doesn't sound right that both wheels are leaning right. That is consistent with a bent backwards frame from right wheel force. Rarely do curbs have that much force to bend these V frames. however they can bend the upper and lower control arms on these cars quite easily from a simple curb hit, but rarely do they ever continue the force through to other side unless both wheels hit.

biiz1957
06-06-10, 10:33 AM
Actually the right rear tire is bent in and from the bottom rear and facing right and the left rear looks like it may be leaning in a little from the top but pretty much facing straight. Hard to believe the frame is bent??:rant2:

TroyFleming
06-06-10, 10:46 AM
Actually the right rear tire is bent in and from the bottom rear and facing right and the left rear looks like it may be leaning in a little from the top but pretty much facing straight. Hard to believe the frame is bent??:rant2:

I have repaired alot of these cars over the years and the rear frame doesn't bend easy, only from a rearward hit it collapses. Those curves in the frame are not there just to fit in the space they are designed for certain direct forces. Just as the lower control arms have certain curves to deflect the force in smaller mishaps like hitting a curb.

Sounds to me that your right lower control arm is bent, with possibly a slight twist on the trailing arm and a wheel more then likely bent. Now the leftside I would guess only has the appearance of being inwards because of the bend from the rightside hit creating a cambered look.

Without seeing car it's a guesstimate. Personally I wouldn't run it through insurance at first. I would take it by a reputable dealer bodyshop and tell them you need an estimate and will not be using insurance. You will get a trusted estimate this way. Make sure the dealer uses a laser system. If you need any parts let me know.

biiz1957
06-06-10, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the advice. I probably should pick up a wheel since is is probably bent and really scuffed....It is not going to be cheap.