: W4M vs. HPTuner vs. D3

BlownV
06-05-10, 04:03 PM
Seems these are the three big tuning options available out there. Curious if anyone has experience with more than one and what their preferences/experience was?

MiamiV
06-05-10, 04:12 PM
bump. Good question

PGA2B
06-05-10, 10:57 PM
Dan???

leija_01
06-06-10, 12:28 AM
From experience, and being a tuner. I will strongly stand with HPTuners. 2.23(Beta) opens up so many more options then most, you have the ability to even the torque nannies on the blower itself(since ours is a OEM blower.)Transmission parametersare all visible, meaning that you can adjust everything to idle rpm, torque management to Tap Up/Tap Down shifts. Motor wise, You can play with the variable valve timing on these motors, but You shouldn't expect much. The trickiest part with this car, That I have had to deal With is transmission. The trannie has a wayyy bigger brain than most. 6L80s have sooo many settings it gives me a headache just thinking about it. haha. If you have any questions about HPTuners and what not, let me know. I have been using it for quite a few years. Great program, simple UI. Best bang for your buck honestly...

BlownV
06-06-10, 02:25 PM
Looks like HPTuners is also the most costly but you get what you pay for. Sounds like this is the best route to go since the car will most likely not ever outgrow the tuning software. I come from the DSM community where I have used DSMLink and AEM EMS. EMS is a pain to tune IMO, unless you have a good base map from someone else. DSMLink is probably the most tuner friendly software that I have ever used...very intuitive controls. How would you rate the ease of HPTuners? I have seen programs that are extremely powerful but you practically need a PhD to understand how to use it.

BlownV
06-09-10, 08:46 PM
Any input on W4M or D3?

PGA2B
06-09-10, 10:33 PM
W4M is a SCT programmer with custom tunes. I have heard Jesse uses some specific transmission tweeks. Ask Littleelvisdan as he has one.lvis

CIWS
06-10-10, 07:17 AM
I think for the most part D3 is out of the STS-V business. But I don't work for them so perhaps if someone is curious they can PM a rep here and ask.

MiamiV
06-10-10, 02:57 PM
Which one is better for warranty?

PGA2B
06-10-10, 04:17 PM
Neither. Before you take it back to the dealership you need to return the tune to stock. I suggest getting a spare PCM and have one with the flash and your stock for warranty.

CIWS
06-10-10, 05:29 PM
Neither. Before you take it back to the dealership you need to return the tune to stock. I suggest getting a spare PCM and have one with the flash and your stock for warranty.

:yeah:

If the warranty is a concern, that's the best way to do it and not chance them seeing a tune in the computer.

BlownV
06-10-10, 09:32 PM
I was under the impression that one of them that was a tune 'box' that interfaced with the PCM and once unplugged and removed from the vehicle, would return the PCM to stock config. since it was not actually a reflash? Not correct?

PGA2B
06-11-10, 12:01 AM
D3 has one but I believe it is for their intake to adjust the MAF settings for the new amount of air.

CIWS
06-11-10, 07:02 AM
D3 has one but I believe it is for their intake to adjust the MAF settings for the new amount of air.

:yeah: It wasn't a true computer Tune.

BlownV
06-11-10, 10:54 AM
Interesting...that does answer one question I asked though...our cars do run a MAF. Do they also run a MAP sensor?

silverws6ta
06-12-10, 12:58 PM
Interesting...that does answer one question I asked though...our cars do run a MAF. Do they also run a MAP sensor?

Both; and yes --- in our case it measures positive kPa thanks to being blown.

BlownV
06-12-10, 02:13 PM
Thank you for the information.