: need help, i get 6.7-7.1 mpg city

escaladetony
06-05-10, 03:38 PM
hello guys, i have a quick question. i have a 2010 escalade esv AWD and it says average mpg(which is all city driving) is 6.7-7.1... is this true? and i have 770 miles on it.. thanks

kars79
06-05-10, 04:24 PM
I get like 11 miles a gallon mostly city driving on a short wheelbase lade.
I don't think you should get any worse than 9 miles a gallon on esv even tho it has only 700 miles on it unless you are towing .

mdadgar
06-05-10, 04:36 PM
I get like 11 miles a gallon mostly city driving on a short wheelbase lade.
I don't think you should get any worse than 9 miles a gallon on esv even tho it has only 700 miles on it unless you are towing .

The ESV weighs 200 lbs more than the short wheelbase version. That's not going to cost 2 mpg.

Put another way, do you get 9 mpg with a passenger in the car? Nope. :)

- Mark

WaterKing
06-05-10, 04:46 PM
Are you zeroing the AVG MPG after every fillup? That is the only way to somewhat accurately gauge the mileage. My EXT only drops below 14 when I tow and then only to about 12+ with the trailer that has the huge ramp sticking up into the air. I have noticed that several runs of hard accelerating seems to tell the computer to use more gas for the entire tank. If I marsh mellow the gas pedal for a couple of trips it invariably starts to get MUCH better gas mileage for the entire tank....Sorta like it memorizes driving style for the tank.... Mileage did magically increase by about 1.8 right after the first oil change.. My city driving does not have a lot of idling in stuck traffic.

My Exhaust pipe was very black and sooty....Got a Blackbear tune in Jan and my mileage increased to about 19 highway/14.5 city even with the simultaneous addition of heavy 24" wheels/tires (100lbs each). No more soot in pipes either. Second best mod to truck. Bed Slide is first.

kars79
06-05-10, 05:58 PM
The ESV weighs 200 lbs more than the short wheelbase version. That's not going to cost 2 mpg.

Put another way, do you get 9 mpg with a passenger in the car? Nope. :)

- Mark

I said mostly cIty driving I get 11.
If All my driving would be in town I probably will get 10 or so.
Esv should get 9 miles with extra 200 pounds.

Thanks Mark :)

Mark !!!

steve841
06-05-10, 06:46 PM
Don't let your teenage son drive anymore... :tisk:

mdadgar
06-05-10, 11:33 PM
I said mostly cIty driving I get 11.
If All my driving would be in town I probably will get 10 or so.
Esv should get 9 miles with extra 200 pounds.

Thanks Mark :)

Nahh, I get about 10.5-11.0 in pure city driving in my ESV.

Close, though. :)

- Mark

vfjdesign
06-06-10, 12:07 AM
Nahh, I get about 10.5-11.0 in pure city driving in my ESV.

Close, though. :)

- Mark

I drive a combo of mostly city and about 16 miles on hwy everyday I
get 13-14 avg with my 2008 ext. Seems like all city on esc should be
much better than 7! I only use premium I still think that 7
is a very low mpg. I will ck with my bro in law he has suburban ltz

hcvone
06-06-10, 07:54 AM
Get a locking gas cap to make sure no one is stealing your fuel, it has happened to several of our customers. One of them came in claiming they are now getting 4 mpg in their new Escalade, after driving their truck I told them that was impossible, they got a locking gas cap and now get 12 mpg, I think their son was stealing, or should I say borrowing their fuel.

thetobins
06-06-10, 02:33 PM
07 esv with 30k get 9.5mpg since new average city and highway. all highway is much better, remember awd and 22's make a difference.

Fast Eddie
06-06-10, 06:23 PM
I am surprised at my new 2010 mileage. My 08 ESV always averaged out at 11.1-11.3 local LI traffic. The new regular 2010 Escalade with 3600 miles gets 11.2-11.3. I expected to get better mileage from the 10. Driving style has not changed at all, premium fuel always.

I would say 7 mpg is certainly wrong. Are you calculating it by gallons pumped/miles driven or by the cluster's display? If it is the display then I would go to the dealer and try and get a reflash/engine check...

101mph62
06-06-10, 10:36 PM
I drive about 15-20 miles a day. mostly back and forth to work. It is all city driving and according to the DIC i average 15.5 MPG, and i use premium only. So i guess thats pretty good. Theres no traffic but it is still not highway driving.

lousy_investor
06-07-10, 12:06 AM
I think it also depends on the kind of city driving. Not all city driving are the same. I once hit a stretch that was horrandace. Bumper-to-bumper and I probably averaged 15 km/h the whole way. Mileage was scary when comparing to the more typical city driving (including "reasonable' rush hour traffic).

kars79
06-07-10, 04:13 AM
I think it also depends on the kind of city driving. Not all city driving are the same. I once hit a stretch that was horrandace. Bumper-to-bumper and I probably averaged 15 km/h the whole way. Mileage was scary when comparing to the more typical city driving (including "reasonable' rush hour traffic).

I agree.
You can drive in a town with 100k people or LA.
They are both city driving but it makes a huge difference what kind a traffic you deal with.
Otherwise I doubt trucks which came out of same production line would have a difference of day n night.

escaladetony
07-06-10, 04:06 PM
Don't let your teenage son drive anymore... :tisk:

hhaha funny cause im actaully 16... 17 in 2 months and i use this ESV as my driving car with my mom so im hard on it constantly..... we did a 80 mile road trip and i reset the MPG gauge and got 17.3...and city i havn't done yet.. and i now have 2k miles

Kickboxer
07-06-10, 04:45 PM
09 ESV AWD and get roughly 9.8 with 24"'s in city. 18+ highway. I drive moderately aggressive but certainly not like I stole it.

Poindexter
07-08-10, 04:18 PM
That's probably accurate considering it has so few miles on it. I would give it about 3000 miles (first oil change) before I started watching the MPG. Also check your tire pressure. I run mine at 40 psi to get the friction down. The dealership likes 35 to soften the ride. Do you mileage testing on sunday when there is less traffic. You get zero mpg when standing still. I get 11-13 mpg in the city and 17-22 on the highway depending on speed, wind, and terrain.