: Is the CTS-V a long term car?

rpm_69
06-05-10, 03:13 PM
I have an 04 CTS-V (in service date is Mar05) with 53K on it. It is stock except for a BMR diff brace I added after the diff bushings were replaced. The CPO warranty runs out in Mar and I have had a few trips to the dealer for a new alternator, motor mounts, diff bushings, and they recently disassembled the tranny and replaced any worn synchos, shift forks, and gears.

After March this stuff stops being free, and I am wondering how long I should hold onto this car. Anyone running one up to 100K without frequent part replacements? I am an old married guy with kids, so I don't drive around like a teenage ass, beating the car to death. I do get on the throttle and carve up turns for fun, but nothing that should be considered stressful for a car sold to compete with M3/M5's.

Is it a keeper or time to unload it before I get into a an endless string of expensive maintenance?

heavymetals
06-05-10, 03:29 PM
You own a 6 year old obsolete car.

If all your worried about is warranty, you should have bought the 100k 10 year.

rpm_69
06-05-10, 04:34 PM
You own a 6 year old obsolete car.

If all your worried about is warranty, you should have bought the 100k 10 year.

What do you mean by "6 year old obsolete car"? Does that mean after 6yrs I should not expect any reliability out of my CTS-V? Why would you say that? Has your CTS-V been a maintenance nightmare? I like to keep cars for the long term as it is smart economic move. I had a 94 325i that I kept for 225K miles and it was very reliable. I just don't want a car that requires a trip to a mechanic every few months to replace the latest broken item, and another repair bill.

I have the CPO warranty. It is a bumper-to-bumper warranty from the manufacturer for up to 100K or 6yrs from the in-service date of the vehicle. IDK what a "100K 10 yr" is. Is that a GM warranty or are you referring to buying an aftermarket warranty?

An aftermarket warranty may be an option, but it is only a good buy if I expect to have problems with the car. So the original reason for my question still stands. Are there any CTS-V owners who have found the cars to be reliable and not needing frequent maintenance to get to 100K?

Do you have 100K on your CTS-V? Have you had a lot of unexpected maintenance?

heavymetals
06-05-10, 04:42 PM
Obsolete has nothing to do with reliability.

The last car (an MB 320e) I had before I got my V I kept for less then a year.

The car before that (a MB 300TD wgn) you couldn't kill and I had that for 14 years!

My V I have had since new and for the last 5 years it has been pretty reliable except when I start to work on it. LOL

I wouldn't buy an aftermarket warranty, but then again some people have had good luck with them.

rand49er
06-05-10, 05:38 PM
A guy posted up here a few weeks ago that he had 175k on his car with only normal maintenance stuff ... and he said he drove the car about like you're describing maybe even a bit more spirited. This guy also said he had a salesman friend (IIRC) who heard about a V with 213k on it. :eek:

Mind you, you're gonna have a clutch go every 100k or sooner depending on how you drive plus brakes/rotors/tires/alternators/PS pumps/other wear items, but the motor's internals should be good to be considered "a long term car."

ahahnu
06-05-10, 06:03 PM
109,000 here. Changed the PS pump, and radiator. Those are the only two things that weren't expected to go, but then again it is a machine. I think I'm going to need a belt soon. Other then that, ask anyone and they will never guess my car has such high mileage.

thebigjimsho
06-05-10, 09:59 PM
I bet future repairs on your awesome V will be much, much less than future new car payments. I would keep it much longer...

rpm_69
06-05-10, 10:58 PM
I was actually looking at a similar priced used car from Acura or Mazda. I would not be adding any car payments. I see a lot of "my tranny/diff/whatever exploded" posts (and it's to be expected that people are trying to solve a problem on the forum), and my car has been to the dealer too much this year. The v1 of the CTS-V has a bit of a problem child rep. So I was looking for some "I had a problem free 100K miles" posts. Any more? I like the Caddy and am just looking for a reason to keep her longer, and to renew my paid supporter status.

kevm14
06-05-10, 11:31 PM
I am trying to end up with a reliable car by purchasing one with about 60k on it.

Your car is either going to turn into a basket case, and would thus be one for the next owner, or failures will slow down dramatically after the first 50k, which I call the teething years. One of my cars has 260k on it and I never drove it easy. No it doesn't have 400hp, but still. The car should be built to handle itself, you know? If affordable 400hp means you have to dump money into it annually, I'm not sure that's a trade off that I'm willing to make.

heavymetals
06-06-10, 12:34 AM
If you think your gonna buy a hot rod (like the V) and not throw money at it, your fooling no one.

maxspeed96ct
06-06-10, 01:24 AM
There isnt a car out there that wont need $$ tossed at it once warrenty is up, any car will need something. Ive also had some bad luck with some aftermarket brands like SPEC which is total junk and fitment with my kooks aswell.

And keep in mind performance cars always need alittle more depending on how you drive and etc.

If your out banging gears at 6k dont be suprised if your blow a rear end or a clutch.

If your really that concerned you can buy something With a V-tek and you can redline gears all day. I've had alot of beater hondas and they run great, and I beat on them hard. But remeber most of them put down about 100ftlbs of tq down to the ground .

thebigjimsho
06-06-10, 01:26 AM
Look, my '04 exploded a diff and the second one was replaced due to excess noise. My moonroof switch failed. The battery was replaced as was the radiator. My diff bushing was replaced as well. And my early '04 needed a reflash for the oil temp reading too high when it wasn't.

To me, especially for a first year car, the V has been VERY reliable. The LS6 and Tremec T56 trans is pretty stout and should see pretty high mileage for its use. The latest diff is also a stout piece that should really last awhile.

I really don't see a well maintained, not crazy far from stock V ever being a problem child...

greddy91
06-06-10, 02:39 AM
Sorry, but if I'm keeping a car through a heavy depreciation phase - it's going to have the V moniker on it. I know the guys that bought these new hate it, but I bought my '05 2 years ago for 23K with 16K miles and I would expect to still get that in return for the condition it's in.

maxspeed96ct
06-06-10, 09:20 AM
Sorry, but if I'm keeping a car through a heavy depreciation phase - it's going to have the V moniker on it. I know the guys that bought these new hate it, but I bought my '05 2 years ago for 23K with 16K miles and I would expect to still get that in return for the condition it's in.

Our V's have really dropped in value, But to be honest all cars have and always will.

Baltimore07V
06-06-10, 10:21 AM
Overall the V is extremely reliable, especially considering the class it is in. No it will not be as reliable as a Corolla, but it is 4000+ lbs, pushes out 400hp/trq, and is a monster on the track. This causes you the driver to accelerate hard, brake harder, drive faster, and go around corners quicker. This causes greater wear and tear on the car.

However when it does break, its cheaper then a Toyota to fix. The parts are made by GM, and can be installed by an GM certified place (though most do their own work, or have a trusted mechanic).

So yes, the short answer is, Yes it is a long term vechile. Mine has 31k on it, and I've put 14k on it in the last year. I have basic mods, and I don't see me getting rid of it any time soon.

Vet+BB=V
06-06-10, 01:18 PM
I would agree that the V can be a long term car! However it could be a short term disaster if treated in such away. You have to remember that any car, and I do many any will have failures of some sorts. This may be from abuse or regular wear. But if you treat your V right, keep it serviced and and enjoy it for what it is then it will last as long as you want it to. And as many have said the inevitable repair cost will likely be less that the payments, registration, and deprecated cost of a new car! My 05 V has almost 50k on it, no warranty from day one when I bought it, and I plan on kepping it as long as possible. My view may be a bit skewed because I am a mechanic for another brand, but none the less trust and enjoy my V everyday!

Good luck with your decission!

thebigjimsho
06-06-10, 08:49 PM

Our V's have really dropped in value, But to be honest all cars have and always will.
I love how all the n00bs who bought cheap over the last couple years assume all of us old guard are weeping and gnashing our teeth. Not so. I have enjoyed V ownership for over 6 years and paying MSRP and being one of the first in the area to enjoy V ownership has been awesome.

As for depreciation, that hit the brakes about a year ago. Many cars nosedive and then correct. We are in a correction phase. Eventually, a well maintained V will never go down in price and will only appreciate...

greddy91
06-07-10, 01:45 AM
I love how all the n00bs who bought cheap over the last couple years assume all of us old guard are weeping and gnashing our teeth. Not so. I have enjoyed V ownership for over 6 years and paying MSRP and being one of the first in the area to enjoy V ownership has been awesome.

As for depreciation, that hit the brakes about a year ago. Many cars nosedive and then correct. We are in a correction phase. Eventually, a well maintained V will never go down in price and will only appreciate...

It's not an assumption - Maybe not you specifically, but elder threads are littered with similar depreciation comments.

Don't worry though guy... buying cheap doesn't keep me from being an elitist a-hole. I'm a legit member of the v club... I have the stigma. :-)

thebigjimsho
06-07-10, 07:20 AM
It's not an assumption - Maybe not you specifically, but elder threads are littered with similar depreciation comments.

Don't worry though guy... buying cheap doesn't keep me from being an elitist a-hole. I'm a legit member of the v club... I have the stigma. :-)
Alrighty, then. Carry on...

KaMaSuTrA
06-07-10, 12:51 PM
I bought mine cheap for a daily driver/winter beater with 48k and so far I'm pretty happy with it at 62k.

Granted I've had to have the motor mounts replaced, radiator replaced, and factory nav/cd player replaced all within the Warranty/GMPP period.

I've so far only had to pay for one shock absorber throughout a 1 year and 6 month ownership. The car does have its quirks but it hasn't left me stranded so its doing its job. I've also taken it to the track twice and it gave me no issues other than the typical wheel hop.

xcaliber50
06-08-10, 11:03 AM
I bought mine about 15-16 months ago with 40k miles on it. Now it has 63k miles. I plan on having it 4 1/2 to 5 more years so this car easily see 175k miles on it before I trade up to a V2. I don't see this as a problem because I use this car as a daily driver to and from work which is a 75 mile round trip. It's an easy ride becasue I just hop on the interstate and set the cruise control at 75 til I get to work. In the time I have had the car i've only had to replace wear items.

jrosevear
06-08-10, 11:59 AM
I bought mine cheap for a daily driver/winter beater with 48k and so far I'm pretty happy with it at 62k.

You bought a 400 hp RWD car as a "winter beater"? Winters in Chicago must not be as bad as I'd heard...

KaMaSuTrA
06-08-10, 01:56 PM
You bought a 400 hp RWD car as a "winter beater"? Winters in Chicago must not be as bad as I'd heard...

Haha, it was a nice upgrade from a 93 Honda Del Sol Si. I originally wanted an EVO 8-9 but the market at the time was ridiculous for a stock MR.

Plus with 400hp you can melt the snow underneath the tires :bouncy:

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs278.ash1/20544_295369874271_647094271_3478465_7902386_n.jpg

ba83
06-12-10, 06:24 PM
My question is that how much does it cost if the Diff goes. ????

SS from the "Wood"
06-12-10, 08:18 PM
^^most would concede... a left nut!

repenttokyo
06-12-10, 08:37 PM
the diff is like $1600 bucks brand new from GM - used is much cheaper - that's really not that bad for a major component, in my opinion.

ba83
06-13-10, 04:25 PM
Most problems show up after 75k , the engine and Tranny are solid and If you look the true cost to own , the V is much cheaper than a M3, M5 etc
$1600 is not bad for the Diff , I assuming that these parts would still be available in the next 5 years or so. Does the 04-07 Cts V share the same diff with any other GM vehicle.

rand49er
06-13-10, 07:46 PM

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs278.ash1/20544_295369874271_647094271_3478465_7902386_n.jpg Flurries.

jrosevear
06-13-10, 10:38 PM
My question is that how much does it cost if the Diff goes. ????

You could buy an 06-07, not go crazy with hard launches, and not have to worry about it...

KaMaSuTrA
06-19-10, 01:09 AM
Flurries.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs186.snc3/19352_298538434271_647094271_3487124_1397437_n.jpg

Yea, just a little bit.

Baltimore07V
06-20-10, 02:59 AM
I can tell you honestly, my V will be with me for a long long time. There is a passion in this car, that I have never felt with any other cars I have owned or driven. My ultimate goal is to get a used F-150 for my daily beater, and then turn this V into a monster.

But more importantly its special. Other car ethusiasts notice it. Even stock, it has an aura. Not like an M3, or A4. Its a notice like "Holy crap its a V! I haven't seen one of those before". There is also a lot of respect for the V, as those who have found the furry on the street/track before. A guy who works with me, who drives a modded 350Z, said he raced a V once. Said he won't do it again as it walked him like he was driving a Prius. His words, not mine.

All in all, treat the car right. Keep the maintence up, and you will have a car to love for a long, long time. And the maintence is cheap, comparably to other cars in this class (eg. VANOS).