: Poor acceleration when hot.

Big Windy Ext
06-05-10, 05:47 AM
When the outside temp is 85 or above my truck is a real slug . I have had it in a couple of times and they tell me they did software updates and various TSBs . If I use tow haul the problem isn't nearly as bad , I just feel like I'm beating on the truck , ride is aggressive . There are no codes , SES etc. . I have used more than one recommended injector cleaners . The funny thing is the SRX loaner they gave me was the same way, but not nearly as bad. Anybody have any suggestions or have a similar complaint ?

hcvone
06-05-10, 07:29 AM
If you are talking the difference of running the ac vs. not running the ac on a cooler day there will be a performance difference for sure, ac sucks a lot of power, having said that we have been in the 90's several days and without the ac on my trucks have performed fine, turn the ac on and sit in traffic and they don't perform as well. :) How many miles on your truck?

Big Windy Ext
06-07-10, 08:13 AM
24,000 miles . The dealer claimed a reprogram , some harness TSBs , but 20 minutes after leaving the dealer we are back at square one , but the trans is more tuned to what gear it should be in . I know about the ac draw but the heat is really zapping the life outta this thing like a fat guy ready to have a heart attack . We have had cooler weather again so it is running strong again . I wish the side vents were functional!!!

hcvone
06-07-10, 08:15 AM
24,000 miles . The dealer claimed a reprogram , some harness TSBs , but 20 minutes after leaving the dealer we are back at square one , but the trans is more tuned to what gear it should be in . I know about the ac draw but the heat is really zapping the life outta this thing like a fat guy ready to have a heart attack . We have had cooler weather again so it is running strong again . I wish the side vents were functional!!!

Not enough miles for a tune up, you run high test fuel? More important in the heat.

Big Windy Ext
06-07-10, 08:58 AM
Premium , we switched brands BP , Shell no difference . Also ran GM injection cleaner through it before we brought it in , as every dealer tells you that is what you need !

racingdc9
06-07-10, 11:09 PM
We just bought an 07 with 25k miles and i'm in Houston, mid 90's and truck is fine. We used to have a Lexus GX470 and Land Rover LR3 and they were sluggish during summer time, so I think the heat takes alot out of any car/suv

Ronin
06-09-10, 09:41 AM
Seafoam it!

I've started my own little Seafoam cult here locally. I did my neighbor's truck last week, twice actually. 99 Dodge Ram 1500, V-8 5.2 (gasser), 200+K miles.

Smoked like the Batmobile! Throttle response is much more snappy, mileage up, runs smoother, etc.

On direct injection motors (like the new MINIs) it's especially dramatic. The PCV is pumping all that oil vapor right back into your intake so you don't starve sea turtles of their precious oxygen (or something like that) which builds up sludge. If you don't have a oil catch can (or vent direct to atmosphere like I did on my diesel Excursion) over time that sludge build up will slowly choke the life out of your motor, like a sea turtle trapped in a plastic six-pack container ring...(sorry, I'm on a sea turtle kick today, probably should head to the aquarium to get it out of my system.)

Before anybody chirps that it's snake oil, many manufacturers have their own brand or service similar to Seafoam. I used the Dodge OEM carbon treatment on my Magnum R/T and it made a huge difference, particularly in throttle response and mileage. Think of it as steam cleaning the inside of your engine, which if you're not running meth injection (I don't think anyone here is on their Escalade, but I could be wrong...that gives me an idea if I end up supercharging my pig...anyway...) this is the next best thing.

YMMV

07maralade
06-09-10, 11:21 PM
Seafoam it!

I've started my own little Seafoam cult here locally. I did my neighbor's truck last week, twice actually. 99 Dodge Ram 1500, V-8 5.2 (gasser), 200+K miles.

YMMV

I seafoamed my escalade 07. It hated it...
It made really loud knocking noises, made violent shakes. I think it was a misfire. The computers really interfere with it. I shut off the engine after maybe 1/4 of a bottle and the engine was still running for 5 seconds after I turned the key off. I think it was the computers making it burn off all the excess seafoam still in the engine. I let it sit for 15 minutes, not too much smoke came out after.

Did it a second time, i poured maybe 3 teaspoons worth and it shut off by itself. Turned it back on, Stabiliktrak service, ABS service and TC service lights all went on as well as CHeck Engine light. Unplugged the battery and all is fine now.

I won't disagree that Seafoam is a GREAT product by out of the 6 differnent cars that I have seafoamed, the escalade is the only one that didn't like the treatment IMO.

Anyways, Use at your own risk.

I found a TSB, could this be why...

Make : CADILLAC Model : ESCALADE Year : 2007
Manufacturer : GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
Service Bulletin Number : 4168 Date of Bulletin :
NHTSA Item Number : 10022429
Component : POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
Summary :
LOW POWER, POOR PERFORMANCE, OR BUSY SHIFTING. *KB UPDATED 09-26-07. *KB

I dont have the details but maybe someone who has the access can chime in.

07maralade
06-09-10, 11:23 PM
Service Bulletin Number : 4112 Date of Bulletin : APR 01, 2009
NHTSA Item Number : 10023432
Summary :
SAG OR HESITATION ON ACCELERATION (NORMAL OPERATING CHARACTERISTICS). EQUIPPED W/ GASOLINE ENGINE AND AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION. *NJ UPDATED 1/30/08. *NJ UPDATED 10/01/08. *PE UPDATED 8/12/09. *PE

Ronin
06-10-10, 09:59 AM
I seafoamed my escalade 07. It hated it...
It made really loud knocking noises, made violent shakes. I think it was a misfire. The computers really interfere with it. I shut off the engine after maybe 1/4 of a bottle and the engine was still running for 5 seconds after I turned the key off. I think it was the computers making it burn off all the excess seafoam still in the engine. I let it sit for 15 minutes, not too much smoke came out after.

Did it a second time, i poured maybe 3 teaspoons worth and it shut off by itself. Turned it back on, Stabiliktrak service, ABS service and TC service lights all went on as well as Check Engine light. Unplugged the battery and all is fine now.

I won't disagree that Seafoam is a GREAT product by out of the 6 differnent cars that I have seafoamed, the escalade is the only one that didn't like the treatment IMO.

Anyways, Use at your own risk.

I found a TSB, could this be why...

Service Bulletin Number : 4168 Date of Bulletin :
NHTSA Item Number : 10022429
Summary :
LOW POWER, POOR PERFORMANCE, OR BUSY SHIFTING. *KB UPDATED 09-26-07. *KB

I don't have the details but maybe someone who has the access can chime in.

I haven't Seafoamed my Escalade yet because I don't have enough mileage on it. I caught your previous thread about Seafoam and the issues you had and the first thing I thought was that, frankly, you were doing it wrong and you may have seriously damaged the engine with a (partial) hydrolock, which would explain the loud knocking (if it didn't go away once the Seafoam was out of its system). I also wasn't sure which vacuum line you used to feed it in that could definitely make all the difference. Seafoaming is a two person job, and having someone keeping the RPMs up is critical because if it does bog down enough (which is normal), and you keep feeding it until it stalls, then you are creating the "perfect" scenario for it to hydrolock when you restart the motor. But with you having used it on 6 other vehicles, you're far from a Seafoam amateur so your results are interesting to say the least. I'm gonna take a looky-loo @ my truck today to see which vaccum line I'm gonna use and grab a can of Seafoam at AutoZone and give it a go; I only have about 16K on it but it couldn't hurt...(or could it?!)

I didn't look into it but I was curious if that tranny TSB was the same one for the notorious "clunking" which I initially had in spades, and went away as soon as it was performed. I thought the TSB included some TCM (re)programming and greasing the input/output shafts of the tranny or something?

101mph62
06-10-10, 01:23 PM
Generally when its hotter outside a car is going to feel more sluggish/slower. Obviously if the AC is on it would affect it as well. I cant really comment on my Escalade cause I dont really ride it hard. Although I have noticed a little difference between now(90s) and when I first got it (50s-60s). But for example with my supra, when its hot outside the car is extremely sluggish and slow, however come night time or when its cooler outside, it really moves. Pretty much night and day difference. So it wouldn't surprise me if your car was just sluggish cause of hotter weather.

07maralade
06-10-10, 10:36 PM
I haven't Seafoamed my Escalade yet because I don't have enough mileage on it. I caught your previous thread about Seafoam and the issues you had and the first thing I thought was that, frankly, you were doing it wrong and you may have seriously damaged the engine with a (partial) hydrolock, which would explain the loud knocking (if it didn't go away once the Seafoam was out of its system). I also wasn't sure which vacuum line you used to feed it in that could definitely make all the difference. Seafoaming is a two person job, and having someone keeping the RPMs up is critical because if it does bog down enough (which is normal), and you keep feeding it until it stalls, then you are creating the "perfect" scenario for it to hydrolock when you restart the motor. But with you having used it on 6 other vehicles, you're far from a Seafoam amateur so your results are interesting to say the least. I'm gonna take a looky-loo @ my truck today to see which vaccum line I'm gonna use and grab a can of Seafoam at AutoZone and give it a go; I only have about 16K on it but it couldn't hurt...(or could it?!)

I used to brake booster. The rpms have a mind of its own when I was feeding it the seafoam. Yes, I did have my buddy on the throttle. When the seafoam first when in, the rpms went to about 2k-2.5k all by itself. I kept on yelling at my buddy to back off the throttle a little bit but it was the escalade.

About the TSBs, there seem to be a lot of reprograms and Monday, I'm bringing mine in to get the seals replaced since I have a 2-3 shift flare and clunk. Thank you GM 100k miles warranty!

Big Windy Ext
09-01-11, 05:02 PM
I have the EXT in for service and asked them to address the sluggish when the temps are hot problem,according to my advisor the engineers have another software update to correct it . They must have been getting a lot more gripes to have another TSB and software upgrade (I'm thinking TEXAS!!)