: Barbara Ann finally has a birthday!

sven914
06-05-10, 12:00 AM
I was snooping around under the passenger side dash, trying to find the blower motor because that took a dump today (more on that later), and I found an inspection tag.

http://carphotos.cardomain.com/ride_images/3/2503/2881/31256440109_large.jpg

At 8:53, on April 4th, 1989, she passed inspection for the security and defogger systems, which means assembly probably began on the 3rd and was completed on the 4th.

I wonder how many of you guys have these little tags hanging out in your dash and don't know it...

Stingroo
06-05-10, 12:02 AM
That's REALLY cool, actually. Congrats. :)

Aron9000
06-05-10, 12:05 AM
Neato!!!

As far as the blower motor goes, its super easy. Its under the hood on the passenger side up next to the cowl in the corner. You undo 4 bolts, it pops right off, then you take the plastic squirrel cage off the old motor and put it on the new motor. Took me all of 30 minutes, cost $15 for the part.

77CDV
06-05-10, 12:07 AM
At least it wasn't April 1.

sven914
06-05-10, 12:21 AM
Neato!!!

As far as the blower motor goes, its super easy. Its under the hood on the passenger side up next to the cowl in the corner. You undo 4 bolts, it pops right off, then you take the plastic squirrel cage off the old motor and put it on the new motor. Took me all of 30 minutes, cost $15 for the part.

Thanks, I'll check there. I was looking under the dash because my service manual describes it as being in the "RH Front of Dash," so I was thinking I would have to take the glove box out again. Being in the engine compartment makes my life a lot easier.

I'm pretty sure the motor burned out because for about 5 minutes before it stopped working, there was this obnoxious odor coming from the vents. It smelled like someone was microwaving hand soap.

csbuckn
06-05-10, 01:49 AM
Your thinking a couple days to manufacture a brougham? I would of thought a week maybe. Maybe thats wishful thinking. What do you plan to get her next year, maybe an engine detail? Dont know if you need one but I thought that would be a groovy present

sven914
06-05-10, 02:13 AM
^I usually set aside some money to get some small problems taken care of, and I usually have the work done in spring. If no more OE parts fail, then I might put a little into the cosmetics; the bumper is full of holes and there is some rust on the rear quarter panel that I want taken care of before it gets worse.

I don't know for sure how long assembly took, but with 29,000 Brougham's (about 79 cars per day) coming out of Arlington Assembly in '89, I can't imagine it taking longer than one shift to complete one.

The-Dullahan
06-06-10, 02:22 AM
Yeah, I've heard about that before, never went through there looking for one. I'll find one eventually, probably while getting my A/C fixed.

sven914
06-09-10, 12:21 AM
Found the blower motor... 15 minutes and $30 later I can now drive and see where I'm going at the same time.

water walkin warrior
06-09-10, 01:23 PM
^
I don't know for sure how long assembly took, but with 29,000 Brougham's (about 79 cars per day) coming out of Arlington Assembly in '89, I can't imagine it taking longer than one shift to complete one.

Mine was from Arlington too. Are we invited to the party since we're family? :lol:

The-Dullahan
06-09-10, 05:23 PM
Mine was from Arlington too. Are we invited to the party since we're family? :lol:

I think all our cars are family, right? Even Sting's Chevrolet is a close cousin.

Oh crap...Mine's the "weird" member of the family that everyone shakes their head at. Oh well, she's fabulous anyhow.

I am getting curious and may soon go about playing about my dash to find my tag. I wonder, as far as commercial chassis go, how much time difference there is between producing the chassis to the final project is done.

Hah, though I don't think they would produce a second tag, my car kind of has TWO "birthdays".

ALSO...Why does Sven know what Microwaved hand soap smell like?

sven914
06-09-10, 06:41 PM
All Brougham's produced after 1987 were manufactured in Arlington. Before that, Cadillac RWD's were produced in both Texas and Detroit Michigan. The 11th digit of the VIN denotes the assembly plant; 9 stands for Detroit and an R indicates Arlington.

Sting's Caprice might have been built in Texas, but Caprices (and other B cars) were also produced at the Willow Run plant in Ypsilanti Michigan (VIN W).

And you don't want to know how I know.

mjs182004
06-10-10, 12:26 AM
Mine has a neat little sticker on the back drivers door saying it was made in Arlington, Texas. You can kinda see it in this picture. Texas is blue! I'm sure most of the cars have this sticker though.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/mjs182004/1991%20Cadillac%20Brougham/IMAGE_114.jpg