: Nitrous?

BlownV
06-04-10, 03:11 PM
Curious if anyone has done any testing to see how well our cars take to nitrous?

Based on how badly our blowers suffer from heat soak I would guess that a small NO2 shot (30-50hp) would help stabilize intake temps and actually provide closer to 45-70hp at the wheels thanks to the cooling effect in addition to the added O2.

cadillac94pimpin
06-04-10, 05:44 PM
There was a post a while back saying our cars do not like nitrous for some reason. I cant recall right now. What you are saying does make sense. Like a small shot.

DraganHawk
06-04-10, 09:16 PM
I'm sure a little 75 shot won't hurt anything:yup:

BlownV
06-04-10, 10:40 PM
I haven't started digging enough yet to find all the specs for the sts-v but someone here knows I'm sure...do our cars run off of a MAP or MAF sensor? or both?

CTSVmapper
06-04-10, 10:52 PM
There was a post a while back saying our cars do not like nitrous for some reason. I cant recall right now. What you are saying does make sense. Like a small shot.

Thats like saying some cars dont like Air.

If it didnt respond well, its
a) user screwup
b) tuning - or lack of
c) setup - mechanical and knowledge of combining the FI and n2o. Limits of components

_ I dont own an STS.. but the basics are the same for any combustion motor.

BlownV
06-05-10, 04:58 PM
While the basics are the same for any internal combustion motor, some cars take better to nitrous then others simply because of the restrictions presented by different components...components that are often overlooked by someone just bolting on a dry kit per say.

Things like ignition that may need boosting on some vehicles to cope with the additional power and maintain a good spark on colder plugs while other vehicles have over-designed ignition systems already. From my experience the differences in the ECU's from car to car are what make tuning for nitrous such a PITA today compared to back in the good ole days.

Some cars will pull timing like crazy, go into limp mode, or just start acting in ways you can't even predict as soon as you start introducing intake temps and airflow rates different than stock.

I am curious though if our cars run a MAF sensor that could accurately monitor airflow enough to allow use of a simple dry kit, and additionally if our fuel injectors can support the required additional fuel flow?

Second, if that is not possible then does our fuel pump support a high enough flow rate to 't' a line out of the fuel return or add a FPR to splice into and run a wet kit?

joex1
12-28-10, 04:39 PM
Bump...anyone running nitrous? I have a wet kit lying around and am about to get in on the Spectre CAI group buy, figured it would be the perfect time to throw on a little 50-75 shot.

wait4me
12-28-10, 04:47 PM
Wet kits work perfect. We do them alot here. ;) a 30shot to 100 works excellently. Wet kit only though.. Unless you are adding fuel via tuning with a custom operating system we have that adds fuel when the switch is flipped.

joex1
12-28-10, 05:08 PM
This is an NX wet kit coming off an LS2 in a Trailblazer SS right now, figured I could tap it into the Spectre intake if I pick that up...that way if I need to use the warranty I could just yank the whole thing and throw the stock airbox in.
Any reliability issues with the motors holding the additional power so far?

wait4me
12-28-10, 05:24 PM
No, You have to use a plate system or put the nozzles as close to the throttlebody as possible. DO NOT PUT IT NEAR THE AIRBOX. It is to far away and will cause fuel puddling, and other major drivability issues.