: maintenance oil minder says 50% oil life left at 6k miles use

evois
06-04-10, 09:57 AM
my maintenance minder shows that I have used only 50% of oil life or 50% of oil life left and yet have used or done 6k miles already. I am using mobil 1 synthetic extended performance. do I need to change now or just wait until 25% or 10%?

TSS
06-04-10, 10:04 AM
my maintenance minder shows that I have used only 50% of oil life or 50% of oil life left and yet have used or done 6k miles already. I am using mobil 1 synthetic extended performance. do I need to change now or just wait until 25% or 10%?

Mine was about the same. I changed at 20-25% which usually ended up being about 8-9K miles. I know that Mobil1 is good beyond that, but I played it very safe.

Machado EXT
06-04-10, 10:07 AM
If it was me I would change it at 6k. Synthetic oil is rated to go a little longer but I would like my motor to be running in perfect condition and be safe about it.

evois
06-04-10, 11:01 AM
I have the extended performance which is good for 15k miles. that is(15k miles) my oil interval change currently in my 2003 honda pilot with 178k miles. I'll probably send a sample to blackstone once I have it changed at 10-11k miles(escalade hybrid).

hcvone
06-04-10, 11:38 AM
I use Amsoil sig oil that is rated to 35k miles and 17,500 severe use, but I change it at about 6k because the mini oil filter that these trucks use start losing their filtering ability before the oil goes bad, just can't see draining it out and changing the filter and putting the used oil back in, I change it myself so the cost is very low

TSS
06-04-10, 11:43 AM
I use Amsoil sig oil that is rated to 35k miles and 17,500 severe use, but I change it at about 6k because the mini oil filter that these trucks use start losing their filtering ability before the oil goes bad, just can't see draining it out and changing the filter and putting the used oil back in, I change it myself so the cost is very low

Excellent point about the filter.

North49
06-06-10, 09:29 PM
I have the extended performance which is good for 15k miles. that is(15k miles) my oil interval change currently in my 2003 honda pilot with 178k miles. I'll probably send a sample to blackstone once I have it changed at 10-11k miles(escalade hybrid).

Your hybrid may not even be using the gas motor that much anyway. If you do a lot of city driving on your electric system the oil is not in service like our Gas machines. Overall OLM is a good tool to use to be economical and environmentally friendly at the same time.

Blackstone Labs will give you the low down on your wear and the amount of protection left in you oil. A member on another forum that I frequent posted the actual reports from Blackstone. Great information and much appreciated if you would post yours :thumbsup:

Along with the synthetics ability to keep particles safely suspended, I do see concerns with filters starting to loose their filtering ability over time. Worse case scenario is when a crap filter disintegrates after a long period of time.

I am sure that most high quality filters and OEM replacements are good for well over 12,000 miles. Having said that, I too would at least change out a filter after 10,000 miles if I was going to run extended use oils to over 20k miles.