: Question about dual exhaust on my 68 Calais

PsychoBillyCadillac
06-03-10, 10:37 PM
I'm looking into having a dual exhaust setup installed on my 1968 Calais and was curious if any of you out there who have done this before had any tips or suggestions for this modification. Any concerns I need to know? I would like the car to have a nice throaty sound but don't know if I want to go over the top with glasspacks. Any suggestions on a good set of high flow mufflers that have a great sound as well?? Thanks.

PsychoBillyCadillac
06-06-10, 11:45 AM
Anybody?

Angry Matt
06-06-10, 01:02 PM
When I had my '70 brougham I had duals put on it. All I used was 2 1/2" pipe 40 series flowmasters and it was pretty loud. It wasn't too bad inside the car, but everyone behind me said it sounded like a race car. If I could do it again I'd probably buy quieter mufflers, like 50 series flowmasters, but I'm not really into the flowmaster sound. Never had any experience with other brands. You can always add resonators if it makes too much noise.

cadillac_al
06-06-10, 10:18 PM
Summit has Thrush welded mufflers real cheap and I think they sound pretty nice and not as loud as a flowmaster.

djcwardog
06-08-10, 05:27 PM
I like Dynomax mufflers. For cars like ours you may also want to consider having resonators welded in right at the back and before your chrome tips. Be sure also to have a cross-over or "balance" pipe welded in right near the front of the pipes not far behind where they come down off of the exhaust manifolds. Any decent muffler shop can do all this for you. The idea is to get a good sound when you floor it but not have droning or resonance in the rather large cabin of our big Caddys - and your 68 is bigger than a 79...

Stingroo
06-08-10, 06:23 PM
I have Magnaflow mufflers on my wagon and they're quite loud when you get on it. It's not too loud around town, but on long trips it can definitely turn into a drone.

Just throwing my two cents so you can see what the options are. Then again, I have a full exhaust system too. Headers, no cats, etc.