: Escalade ESV running rich

Muskie
06-03-10, 09:39 AM
I have a 2007 Escalade ESV that is exibiting all the tells of an engine runnning a bit rich. Black sooty exhaust, smell of exhaust, feels a bit down on power and MPG in the tank (of course it is an Escalade). One more thing, under acceleration it feels like it surges a little.

Is this a common issue, fuel injectors dirty? Any thoughts are appreciated.

hcvone
06-03-10, 10:41 AM
How many miles? How is the air filter? Ever used any fuel injector cleaner in your tank? May have a dirty t-body or just need a tune up. What grade of fuel do you use?

07maralade
06-03-10, 01:08 PM
do you have a vibration at idle? How many miles? Check the air filter, run some chevron fuel injector cleaner.

Cadillac Cust Svc
06-04-10, 11:56 AM
I would suggest having the vehicle checked by a dealership just to make sure that there isn't something actually wrong with the vehicle. You should still have the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty which would cover this kind of a fix for your vehicle. I hope that solves your issue.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Muskie
06-05-10, 08:26 PM
How many miles? How is the air filter? Ever used any fuel injector cleaner in your tank? May have a dirty t-body or just need a tune up. What grade of fuel do you use?

46k, air filter is brand new and changed regularly. I have not dumped FI cleaner in the tank as yet. Tune up is not out of the question.

Muskie
06-05-10, 08:28 PM
do you have a vibration at idle? How many miles? Check the air filter, run some chevron fuel injector cleaner.

It does seem to have a bit of a stuble at idle. More than I would expect. As i mentioned it also seems to surge or accel unevenly. Air filter is brand new and I will look into fuel injector cleaner.

Thanks!

Muskie
06-05-10, 08:33 PM
I would suggest having the vehicle checked by a dealership just to make sure that there isn't something actually wrong with the vehicle. You should still have the 5 year 100,000 mile powertrain warranty which would cover this kind of a fix for your vehicle. I hope that solves your issue.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Thanks Jeff,

Probably not a bad idea. I do plan on taking it to a dealership to check it out. I just want to have some idea of whether or not this is common to these vehicles at 45k. Car has been bullet-proof otherwise!

hcvone
06-06-10, 07:56 AM
46k, air filter is brand new and changed regularly. I have not dumped FI cleaner in the tank as yet. Tune up is not out of the question.

I would tune it or have it tuned up, fuel injectors could use a cleaning for sure, t-body maybe dirty and you would want to check or have someone check the wires too, at 46k miles it's not too soon. :)

Muskie
06-06-10, 07:34 PM
Thanks for you suggestions. I have a pretty good idea of how to address the issue now.

Muskie
06-11-10, 12:15 PM
If anyone cares:

It did turn out to be a very dirty throttle body. The dealership also had to "re-learn idle". They also "reprogrammed the ECM with latest updates"

...Oh...and it was all covered under the powertrain warranty.

That is why these forums are so useful!

07maralade
06-12-10, 12:33 PM
Powertrain?? Are you sure it wasn't bumper to bumper?