: Ohio Speeding Ticket Ruling

Feffman
06-02-10, 03:38 PM
Just got this from a buddy in Cleveland. Be careful driving through Ohio.

Feff

Officer Estimates Enough For Speeding Convictions

By: Associated Press

COLUMBUS, Ohio - Ohio's highest court has ruled that a person may be convicted of speeding purely if it looked to a police officer that the motorist was going too fast.

The Ohio Supreme Court ruled Wednesday that an officer's visual estimation of speed is enough to support a conviction if the officer is trained, certified by a training academy, and experienced in watching for speeders.

The court's 5-1 decision says independent verification of a driver's speed is not necessary.

The court upheld a lower court's ruling against a driver who challenged a speeding conviction that had been based on testimony from police officer in Copley, 25 miles south of Cleveland. The officer said it appeared to him that the man was driving too fast.

Nutz
06-02-10, 04:26 PM
Not good, I live close. Thanks for posting Feff. :thumbsup:

thebigjimsho
06-02-10, 07:58 PM
Looks like it's time to appeal to the Supreme Court. The NHTSA states otherwise in speed detection...

Feffman
06-09-10, 11:53 AM
Lawmakers Pan Speeding Ticket Ruling, Working On Bill To Require Radar

Associated Press June 9th, 2010

COLUMBUS — Two leading state lawmakers want to overturn a ruling by the Ohio Supreme Court that says police officers can write speeding tickets just by looking at a vehicle and estimating how fast it is going.

State Rep. Robert Hagan, a Democrat from Youngstown, and state Sen. Tim Grendell, a Republican from suburban Cleveland, are working on bills that would require officers to use radar or other technology to verify a vehicle’s speed before issuing a ticket.

The American Civil Liberties Union says last week’s court ruling creates the potential for abuse.

In its decision, the high court said independent verification of a driver’s speed is not necessary if the officer is trained, certified by a training academy and experienced in watching for speeders.

Yeqon
06-09-10, 12:01 PM
Wow, that is pretty amazing. Here in Minnesota we have thousands appealing DUI's right now because the manufacturer of the breathalyzer isn't willing to give up a data code. Seem a far stretch from one state that is mandating coding on a device be available to prosecute and one that is going with the "Looks like you were going pretty fast" ticket.

mamawseldorado
06-13-10, 05:36 AM
Wow, that is pretty amazing. Here in Minnesota we have thousands appealing DUI's right now because the manufacturer of the breathalyzer isn't willing to give up a data code. Seem a far stretch from one state that is mandating coding on a device be available to prosecute and one that is going with the "Looks like you were going pretty fast" ticket.

I live in Ohio and it wouldn't be a big deal to me if they weren't letting 18 year old kids become cops. I say it all the time that someone needs life experience before they should have authority....

caddeville89
08-07-10, 02:16 PM
Ya, if they are going to arbitrarily slap me with a $300+ fine for "looking like you were speeding", I want some recourse. I have been in situations where I was NOT speeding, and an officer told me I looked like I was going too fast.