: Traffic updates on factory navigation unit?

whisler151
06-02-10, 02:30 PM
I've had this car since it was new and I don't ever remember receiving real time traffic updates on the factory nav. Randomly the other day I got an update letting me know there was traffic ahead. Sure enough it was correct. Now I get them all the time. Even if I'm not using the guidance, I just press the traffic (TRAF) button and it lets me know if there are any accidents, blocked lanes, debris in roadway ect.

Does everyone have this or did mine just start working?

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n6/whisler151/2007%20CTS-V/IMG_0220.jpg?t=1275502890

heavymetals
06-02-10, 02:33 PM
XM radio traffic is an additional service to XM radio.

I am 99% sure your paying for it. :eek:

Jon
06-02-10, 02:44 PM
I wish my '04 had that

whisler151
06-02-10, 02:54 PM

Hmmm, maybe they added it for free. My XM bill is still $9.99.

AAIIIC
06-02-10, 03:34 PM

I got an email from XM the other day saying they were providing XM Traffic to subscribers free, as I recall until 6/7/2010.

Interesting that whisler's was actually providing him useful information. Mine didn't tell me jack shit as I drove from northern VA to CT and back over the long weekend. As per usual, there was heavy traffic around NYC, but I never got any sort of alerts. (It's definitely working - normally if I press the TRAF button it tells me a subscription is required, now it searches and then pops up a report.)

rangerrob
06-02-10, 03:37 PM
i've always wondered why my traffic button never did anything, even when I had XM... is there anyway to go around XM to get traffic updates via the traffic button? it'd be nice if I could somehow integrate my sprint navigation traffic info from my blackberry to the nav unit in the V... as the sprint traffic info is pretty accurate, any ideas? weather would be a cool feature too... wishful thinking...

Jon
06-02-10, 03:51 PM
i've always wondered why my traffic button never did anything, even when I had XM... is there anyway to go around XM to get traffic updates via the traffic button? it'd be nice if I could somehow integrate my sprint navigation traffic info from my blackberry to the nav unit in the V... as the sprint traffic info is pretty accurate, any ideas? weather would be a cool feature too... wishful thinking...
'04s did not have XM Nav Traffic. Only late 05 and up did.

Ours relies on RDS.... meaning... it's useless

whisler151
06-02-10, 04:23 PM
I got an email from XM the other day saying they were providing XM Traffic to subscribers free, as I recall until 6/7/2010

I'm not sure how much extra it is. I'd pay no more than $5/month for it though. It was useful but by no means necessary. It is cool that it will suggest alternate routes.

2manycars
06-02-10, 08:17 PM
'04s did not have XM Nav Traffic. Only late 05 and up did.

Ours relies on RDS.... meaning... it's useless

How can I tell if my 05 was a later model that has it?

50 4Ever
06-02-10, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure how much extra it is. I'd pay no more than $5/month for it though. It was useful but by no means necessary. It is cool that it will suggest alternate routes.

Ive had it two years on my 08 Z06 and I think it's only a couple bucks a month. I only get alerts when I have a trip in the GPS, tells me what the problem is and asks me if I want to re-route. I don't subscribe for the V because I just drive that around town and it is not worth it, but going cross country in the vette I think it is well worth it.

:thumbsup:

odla
06-03-10, 07:23 AM
is there some way to update the 04 v to have this? is it a software update or hardware?

c4ss
06-03-10, 11:32 AM
For as little as I use the navigation in the V, this would serve me no purpose. The navigation in the V is brutal.

sefa01
06-03-10, 11:39 AM

It's $3.99 a month--and they won't discount it. But you can still get big discounts ($77 per year) for the regular XM.

Personally, I love the FM Traffic with XM Radio. In the New York/Boston corrider where I do my driving, I get plenty of info. It's always on when I use the NAV--which is one reason I'll use it even when I know where I'm going. But even when the NAV is off, it will give you alerts--but sometimes much too late to detour.

heavymetals
06-03-10, 01:24 PM
is there some way to update the 04 v to have this? is it a software update or hardware?

Hardware and not cheap.

I had a big discussion with GM (I lost) about the fact that the 05's advertised XM radio traffic, but if you got an early one, it didn't.

They could care less.

JimmyH
06-03-10, 04:38 PM
they want you to fall in love with it and subscribe to it. same way cable and sat companies sometimes turn on premium channels for free, hoping you'll stumble to them and then want them back after they go away.

XM is hurting right now for cash. you can tell when they start calling and sending out letters for cheap lifetime subscriptions.

JimmyH
06-03-10, 04:40 PM
those traffic updates are spotty too. one day, when I had my 09 CTS, I was driving along, and my radio all of a sudden mutes, and I hear this voice telling me "left lane ends ahead". Scared the living crap out of me. but it was correct. and it did the same thing the next day. the third day, when they opened the left lane back up, it no longer announced it. so it worked. but that was one time, out of many while I owned the car. There plenty of other lane closures that were never announced.