: No Way I Can Keep Her Stock

BlownV
06-02-10, 01:23 AM
Hello Everyone,

Just purchased an '07 STS-V last month after I sold my 5-yr project car...a 723awhp 2.0L 4-banger. I know I won't be able to keep myself out of the engine bay for long on the V. I have been reading through the forums on here and trying to get a feel for the tribal knowledge associated with this vehicle. I think I have started to wrap my head around the common information for a start but I have a couple questions.

First, very simple one, any basic maintenance that anyone recommends completing since this is a used vehicle (19k miles btw)? I have done a fluids flush on everything but the trans and diff. Replaced the brake pads with Hawk HPS and put on a set of dimpled slotted rotors. Tires seem ok for now on tread but as soon as they are ready I will replace the horrible runflats.

I have read about the need to update the PCM. Does anyone know what the newest version is or specifically what to look for on the service bill (code) to complete this job?

Lastly, my performance plan thus far is to get the Borla/GMPP exhaust and install with the drone delete inserts, pick up tuning software, and get the D3 Stage 1 and 1.5 intakes. I would like to increase the 'whine,' deepen the exhaust note, free up some hp and stiffen up the trans. I think this is a good start but does anyone have any input/experience?

As far as tuning goes...I have seen that W4M is very popular on this forum and I know that D3 also makes a PCM interface controller. Any suggestions on the best bang for the buck or benefits for each?

Thank everyone and I am looking forward to being a part of the forum.

Dave

cad08stsv
06-02-10, 02:37 AM
Welcome, BlownV,
I think you have a good start on your plans. As you stated you have read various threads on Mods and would like to do some palimiary mods to get started.
There are a few guys here that have quite a bit of knowadge on these rides. I sent mine out to D3 for some body work and the stage 1 & 2 intake. I also
had them install the larger reservor and Methinal injection. That may be a little over kill, but I have read where some guys complain about overheating after
a few runs down the track. (or Road racing) A couple of guys, me including are working on some polyurithine bushing, we are sort of on hold until we can solve
the front sway bar issues, but I think they will be resolve soon. There is also a Blower project going on, I'm not quite sure where it stands right now. There are threads on that also. Luke at Lindsay Cadillac is a good source for parts, or GM parts Direct. After shipping from those guys. Luke's prices are as good as any. So again welsome to Fun Cadillac. The people here are good people. I am building a Hot Rod as well. Feel free to write. Not everyone agrees with me, but then that is the fun part. Best of luck and to you and your family.
Russell :welcome:

Psycho-albanian
06-03-10, 09:07 PM
I have the borla system with the d3 stage 1/1.5 intake on my car and it's awesome. I got my car tuned at livernois motorsports it put down 390 h.p./388 tq. just waiting for coach's dyno result to purchase the steigemeier snake bite port.:thumbsup:

BlownV
06-04-10, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

I am also looking forward to the dyno results. I am curious to see where the $/hp for that mod compares to the blower upgrade from D3.

I am having a little difficulty stomaching some of the prices for the simple mods like intake and exhaust when I know I could model and draft up some identical ones at work and have them fabricated for half the price.

coach123
06-04-10, 04:54 PM
I have to agree with you on this one which is why I chose to go a path less traveled for my hp gains. Compared to other cars our performance mods are very expensive. I guess its a lack of business competition that keeps the prices high. I need to still get a full Cold Air Intake fabricated as I only have the first half completed. I just can't find myself paying close to 1k on a full cold air intake that suppliers are currently charging. Its a shame that Wait4Me got rid of his STS-V so soon our we would have a large variety of low cost performance parts like the new CTS-V's have.

BlownV
06-04-10, 09:51 PM
I really don't blame you at all. For my last vehicle there were plenty of relatively cheap parts available up to a certain desired hp range and then once you got there everything was custom anyway. I am thinking that I may use my available resources to design and fabricate my own parts for the V. I work for the DoD on things much more complicated than any of these parts and we don't pay this much. Paying $1000 for a full exhaust is one thing...but like you said $1000 for an intake is just absurd when the cost to fabricate is less than a quarter of that. I also agree that the reason is most likely lack of competition as well as the low number of vehicles made.

Psycho-albanian
06-04-10, 10:04 PM
wait4me's sts-v got smashed by a tree falling on it.

jedhead
06-11-10, 03:42 AM
Our V8 is small in displacement when compared to other supercharged V8 ie: MB AMG 5.5L, CTS-V 6.2L. I think our engines are pretty much at the limit for any really large HP/TQ gains without spending tremendous amount of money. I do know of someone who is adapting the eaton from the ZR1 to our engine, but the cost is in 5 figures (custom blower manifold casting is getting developed). Also our engine is dead. GM is not doing any more development on the engine. I just added a Corsa Exhaust and I was going to add a tuned ECU. The tuned ECU gave me the same peak tq and a little less peak hp.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/789410/original/stsv-dynosheet2.jpg

Bob

BlownV
06-11-10, 11:52 AM
Which ecu tune program was that? So I can avoid it lol

jedhead
06-11-10, 06:47 PM
Its a tuned ECM from wait4me. The only reason that I can think of for the lack of increased performance, is that the ECM came from outside of California which can be tuned for 93 octane fuel. Here in California we only have 91 Octane fuel and maybe some timing was pulled because of impeding knock. My concern was that the tune seemed to be a little leaner than I was comfortable with. I haven't decided to re-tune the ECM or leave it stock. My STS-V seemed to show one of the higher outputs that I have seen for stock. I did get the ECM reflashed to the latest factory tune before dyno testing and the new tune seemed more powerful than before according to my but dyno. If I get a new tune, I think I will flash the ECM with the latest flash then just make some minor changes to improve throttle response and bring the boost quicker.

Bob

BlownV
06-12-10, 03:20 PM
I was initially looking at W4M as my go-to for the tuning but after hearing how it all works I may decide to dish out the money for HPTuners. I will give W4M a call this week and figure it all out. Thanks for all the information

rwwrrr
06-19-10, 02:35 PM
Well if anyone is interested in casting my company does do aluminum castings both permamnant mold and high pressure die castings. We also add composites in the aluminum for things like increased strength, wear resistance and weight reduction. Sure the cost of the tooling is not cheap but once the tool is completed the cost of the casting is significantly reduced as opposed to CNC'ing one offs...