: Battery smoking after long drive - what is going on

repenttokyo
06-01-10, 06:43 PM
Sorry to deluge the forum with posts, but I am trying to get a bunch of stuff figured out on my new V.

Since I bought the car, I have had some trouble keeping the battery charged. I had it on a trickle charger in my house, and that worked for about a week. This morning I charged the battery for about 15 mins while it was in the car, and then took it on a 4 hour drive. At the end of the drive, the battery was emitting smoke, and making boiling sounds. Is the battery fried? What should I do? Is there a good Optima replacement?

ctsv154
06-01-10, 06:55 PM
I would get that batt out soon. These batteries are notorious for premature failure. At least let them load test it if nothing else.

repenttokyo
06-01-10, 07:05 PM
done and done - searching for a replacement as we speak!

ctsv154
06-01-10, 07:46 PM
Walmart has one that fits no think it's like a 78 or something like that. I think the factory batt is a 101 if I recall.

Stepside
06-01-10, 09:13 PM
WALLY-WORLD aka Wal-Mart ----- Model 78N $75 to $90+ depending on wheather or not you turn in a core.

CancerJCC
06-01-10, 10:08 PM
Yep 78N.

verywhitedevil
06-01-10, 11:22 PM
go with the optima red top side post from auto zone and don't look back
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/tt169/verywhitedevil/DSC02343.jpg

rand49er
06-02-10, 12:04 AM
Had a Taurus whose battery got fried by a faulty voltage regulator. Toasted some wires, too, plus both headlights, etc. I'll never forget coming back from Rochester, New York, across Ontario not knowing what the heck was going on. Got five miles from home when it finally died ... at night ... in the boonies. :banghead:

I'd check out the whole charging system before springing for a battery, but that's just me.

heavymetals
06-02-10, 02:24 AM
Odyssey makes a very nice battery :cloud9:

shredder
06-02-10, 03:35 AM
Odyssey makes a very nice battery :cloud9:

For these cars this absolutely the best way to go.

odla
06-02-10, 07:49 AM
how much and whats the part number for them?

AAIIIC
06-02-10, 10:54 AM
I'd check out the whole charging system before springing for a battery, but that's just me.
Based on the symptoms repenttokyo initially described, I wholeheartedly agree with this! The battery itself may be toast, but it's definitely not normal to have a battery smoking and making bubbling noises. I'd have the charging system checked out so you don't blow up a battery and potentially torch your car.

POS VETT
06-02-10, 11:19 AM
What kind of voltage does the car produce when the engine is running ?

It sounds like your car is overcharging the battery. The old battery may still be reusable but you need to check the voltage while the engine is running.

My bet is that your voltage regulator is screwed up and overcharging the battery, and that your old battery is reusable.

repenttokyo
06-02-10, 11:37 AM
at the start of the trip, the screen showed 14.1 - 13.8. At the end of the trip I believe it was around 13.4 - which I don't think would indicate overcharging...

the other issue is that the battery doesn't hold a charge. the car essentially sat in my driveway for 1.5 weeks, and i would start it to move it out of the way of other cars but not actually drive it. that is when i started to notice the problem with the battery, bc the battery kept going dead. this smoking situation only happened after the long road trip.

heavymetals
06-02-10, 01:38 PM
how much and whats the part number for them?

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1200mjt.htm

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/accessories/hd925_1200sm.htm

You need to fab a base.

I used a piece of 1/8" aluminum plate.

repenttokyo
06-03-10, 05:01 PM
took the battery out to replace it today - and found it was wet underneath, which makes me think the battery was in bad shape and possibly leaking. That could have caused the smoke!

ctsv154
06-03-10, 05:25 PM
Well it's probably wet because it got hot and boiled over. Generally that is caused by an over charged condition but these batts can do weird stuff when they start to go.

repenttokyo
06-03-10, 05:27 PM
Well it's probably wet because it got hot and boiled over. Generally that is caused by an over charged condition but these batts can do weird stuff when they start to go.

still can't seen more than 14.4 - 14.5 according to the computer with the new battery in.

with the old battery, it hovered around 13.8, and got as low as 13.5.

heavymetals
06-03-10, 06:16 PM
That 14.4 is perfect.

You might want to wash down the area that got battery soup leaked on with baking soda to neutralize any acid.