: Question for Ground Control kit owners - do the springs hang loose?

repenttokyo
06-01-10, 06:12 PM
I am about to have my car passed through provincial inspection, and I want to put my GC kit on beforehand. If the springs hang loose when the car is in the air, it won't pass. Will this happen with the GC kit and 500 / 550 lb springs?

Thanks!

ctsv154
06-01-10, 06:17 PM
If you adjust them correctly, no. You can have the car lowered and there will be no air gap in between the perches and springs.

repenttokyo
06-01-10, 06:19 PM
do you know off the top of your head which settings will ensure a lack of gap? i appreciate such a quick response.

ctsv154
06-01-10, 06:53 PM
There really is no setting. Once you install them you just spin the perches to the desired ride height. You will have no air gap even lowered. While the car is in the air the springs should have some tension on them. How much is up to you and how low you want the car.

thebigjimsho
06-01-10, 07:59 PM
When the car is in the air, the rear springs will hang loose. If you can wait, I'd wait...

repenttokyo
06-01-10, 08:13 PM
When the car is in the air, the rear springs will hang loose. If you can wait, I'd wait...

what about shackles for the springs?

the issue is, the car is currently on cut springs, and it won't pass with those either...

thebigjimsho
06-01-10, 08:23 PM
what about shackles for the springs?

the issue is, the car is currently on cut springs, and it won't pass with those either...
shackles?

ctsv154
06-01-10, 08:24 PM
You can run the pearches down so the springs are not loose. I always have a little tension on my rear springs even in the air and the back end is as low as I want it to be.

darkman
06-01-10, 08:26 PM

I am trying to reconcile this with this previous discussion.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2004-2007-cadillac-cts-v-general/190904-cts-v-trailing-arms-more-rubber-4.html#post2160440

repenttokyo
06-01-10, 08:50 PM
shackles?

a friend has shackles on his miata coilovers to keep them from hanging when the car is jacked.

thebigjimsho
06-01-10, 08:52 PM
For me, the springs are loose but if the shocks are in place, they stay put. Hitting the jump at Grattan showed no ill effects...

rand49er
06-02-10, 12:24 AM
For me, the springs are loose but if the shocks are in place, they stay put. ...Yup. Same here.

A couple of times after I had the car jacked up, one of the springs hadn't settled into its perch properly when I lowered the car. When I drove it down the road, it suddenly dropped into the perch with a BOOM! First time it happened, I dang near soiled my pants!