: Took A Little Trip In The V

Umpquacod
06-01-10, 03:36 PM
Just returned from a long (for me, at least) road trip in my '05 CTS-V. Packed more crap than was needed for me and my ladyfriend Rebecca, which necessitated the removal of the rear seat to aid in storage. Also took along one of those 12v-powered coolers that look like a center console. That rode in the center of the rear floor and was very cool (pun intended). Didn't have to mess with ice anywhere along the way.

Started in Umpqua, Oregon and went as far east as Deadwood, SD, where we toured Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Memorial, Sturgis, and a lot of local places. On the way we went through Glacier National Park, then spent a day at the place that actually inspired this trip: Little Bighorn National Monument.

The Custer battle has always piqued my interest; I've read every book I could get my hands on over the past thirty years or so. This trip finally brought the picture together in my mind. Now I'm buying more books and rereading the old ones to get a proper, informed perspective. If you've never been, you really owe it to yourself to go.

On the way back went through the Buffalo Bill Historical Center in Cody, WY, then to Jackson, WY along the Tetons, which are magnificent.

Total miles driven: 3,654. Which made the V turn just over 55,000 miles. Nary a glitch with the car on the trip....although it did tend to get pretty gutless in the higher elevations. Coming from a guy with two back surgeries under his belt, I couldn't be happier with the seat support and overall comfort of the car.

I zeroed out the Avg. MPG meter upon leaving. Upon return it showed 22.8 MPG. After going over many, many mountains and running pretty fast through the flatlands of Montana, I don't think I could ask for anything better. Even the deputy sheriff I made acquaintance with in Montana was impressed with how fast it'd go. :halo:

----Mac

thebigjimsho
06-01-10, 04:01 PM
Nice trip! Glacier National Park is a place I need to get to soon...

Houdini
06-01-10, 04:13 PM
Hmmmm, all that and not one single picture....pfff

liqidvenom
06-01-10, 04:46 PM
i know a good bit about V's already, this lady friend of yours you speak of we have no details on. please correct this asap.

Twitch
06-01-10, 04:49 PM
Road trips are great. And that is some nice mileage for one trip.

814V
06-01-10, 05:03 PM
Forget pics of the V we wanna see the ladyfriend

thebigjimsho
06-01-10, 05:10 PM
Super cougars ASAP!

Umpquacod
06-01-10, 06:09 PM
Jeez, you guys are a tough group. :)

Took over a thousand pictures on this trip and haven't sorted through them yet. Have posted a few to PhotoBucket, link below. Mostly from Little Bighorn, Rushmore, Crazy Horse & Cody Museum.

http://s640.photobucket.com/albums/uu121/Umpquacod/Mac%20and%20Rebeccas%202010%20Road%20Trip/

Cougars, huh? Doubtful. Lemme tell you guys that, when you're in you mid-sixties and have been rode hard and put away wet, you tend to take pictures of colorful spots along the way, not of one another. The three photos of Rebecca and I in this collection are the only ones I could find out of the huge group taken.

Interesting point. If you happen to be a "Little Bighorn" buff like me, take a look at the grave marker of Major (Brevet Brigadier General) Marcus Reno in the PhotoBucket pictures. He's the only member of the 7th Cavalry, present on June 26, 1876, to be buried in this national cemetery. His journey there could fill several books. He died of tongue cancer, a lonely, drunken and disgraced man, in the late 1880s, court-martialed and drummed out of the army. It wasn't until many years later that a court of inquiry reinstated his commission, had his body disinterred and relocated to the Custer Battlefield Cemetery.

Hey, at least I got a couple of pictures of the car in this group to retain forum relevance. :-)

----Mac

shadybx7
06-01-10, 06:54 PM
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu121/Umpquacod/Mac%20and%20Rebeccas%202010%20Road%20Trip/DSC_2660.jpg
nice plate

thebigjimsho
06-01-10, 07:20 PM
Cool pics. But don't get me started or I may hijack your thread for my old cross country pics...

AG'S-V
06-01-10, 08:57 PM
Good stuff!

Umpquacod
06-01-10, 09:24 PM
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu121/Umpquacod/Mac%20and%20Rebeccas%202010%20Road%20Trip/DSC_2660.jpg
nice plate

Thanks. Kinda goes with my background in several ways.

liqidvenom
06-01-10, 09:25 PM
cool pics

rand49er
06-01-10, 11:17 PM
Nice trip and nice pics! Geez, I'd love to go there.

You prodded some old memories. Had a roommate in college from Monroe (Mich), just north of Toledo (Ohio), where Custer apparently spent some time way back when. There's a statue of Custer there. The roommate was in a jug band with four other guyz from Monroe ... it was called Custer's Last Band. As God is my witness ...

Umpquacod
06-02-10, 12:42 AM
Nice trip and nice pics! Geez, I'd love to go there.

You prodded some old memories. Had a roommate in college from Monroe (Mich), just north of Toledo (Ohio), where Custer apparently spent some time way back when. There's a statue of Custer there. The roommate was in a jug band with four other guyz from Monroe ... it was called Custer's Last Band. As God is my witness ...

Custer's Last Band undoubtedly survived better (and longer) than the original Custer. :)

FWIW, I've really (as in REALLY) gotten into researching the whole Little Bighorn thing. There's a wealth of info out there on the subject, a lot of which diametrically opposes one another. Hard to figure out what's bs and what's real....but I'm trying. My Masonic Lodge has asked me to give a presentation on Custer/LBH when I feel properly prepared. Might be fun.

You oughtta get out there, Randy. Neither of us are getting much younger...and I've got you by a few years. Just wish my car was as fast as yours.

PISNUOFF
06-02-10, 09:36 AM
Did you happen to notice what objects were on the back side of Mt. Rushmore??? I almost wrecked my motorcycle when I saw this. I also got stuck there for 4 hours during a hail storm, lots of fun.

Umpquacod
06-02-10, 12:20 PM
Nope, didn't think to look at the back of Rushmore. Pretty cool pic you took.

Did you happen to make it to Crazy Horse? Be curious as to peoples' impressions of that setup. Guess I listened to too much hype about it before looking at it, but I was less than impressed. Expensive to get in; seemed like a good way to hawk their wares. They've been working on that thing for 62 years now (since 1948). I know it's large, but that ain't much progress in that amount of time.

I spoke to a local kid running a rock shop near the base of the mountain. Asked whether he thought they'd ever finish the monument, he replied "Hell no! They're making too much money on it as it is."

PISNUOFF
06-02-10, 12:47 PM
I didn't make it to too many sites as it was thhe motorcycle rally and I was busy with a cycle of party-recover-party-recover-etc...

2manycars
06-02-10, 01:16 PM
Very Cool :)

Sounds like a great trip!!

If any of you have never been, the Black Hills and the surrounding area are some of the prettiest and most historical in the country... and there is a ton of things to do and see there.

I grew up and went to college in Rapid City. The places you visited were my old stomping grounds. We are going back to see family and friends in July actually.

The Battle of Little Big Horn is a fascinating story. Not sure what your take on it is, but as I learned it, Custer went into battle totally full of himself and with out much of a plan. He was known to be a playboy partying type, and not much of a leader actually. Many around there feel that he basically lead his soldiers to a certain death, in the way he approached the battle... and he would have maybe been court marshalled if he survived. Having the big guns does not ensure a win, as we are also learning again and again today, and through-out history.

Did you happen to make it to Crazy Horse? Be curious as to peoples' impressions of that setup. Guess I listened to too much hype about it before looking at it, but I was less than impressed. Expensive to get in; seemed like a good way to hawk their wares. They've been working on that thing for 62 years now (since 1948). I know it's large, but that ain't much progress in that amount of time.

I spoke to a local kid running a rock shop near the base of the mountain. Asked whether he thought they'd ever finish the monument, he replied "Hell no! They're making too much money on it as it is."

Having a monument for a business, is a license to print money. I always thought about (still do) being in that business ;)

When I was in college, I worked in the high end stereo/ video store in Rapid. The old man who started Crazy Horse and has since pasted away (Korczak Ziolkowski) used to come in every winter, and buy the very very best of the latest and greatest equipment at that time... pay to have it delivered, and pay to have it installed - he would spend a small fortune.

All of the family members are millionaires many times over, and live large. I think in the beginning he had good intentions, but now they are sitting back and raking it in. It really bugs the Locals!

"No" - it will not be finished in my lifetime.

thebigjimsho
06-02-10, 02:11 PM
Uh oh...

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2241/2287429/4482063/309887330.jpg

Umpquacod
06-02-10, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the "local" take on the Black Hills and Crazy Horse, 2manycars. Must've been a great place to grow up in.

Interesting about Crazy Horse Memorial's main man spending so much money. That's kinda the take I got while wandering through the huge covered areas at the monument where they sell anything Indian. His restored "home" was filled with expensive instruments and equipment of the type to which you refer.

The kid I mentioned (at the rock shop) pointed to two newspaper clippings hanging on the wall. Each spoke of separate, private donations of $5 million to the memorial fund. Both were dated 2010....that's ten mil just in this year alone. Quite a business.

As for Custer, I'm convinced that he was a total narcissist and very arrogant. I think, however, that besides his bad tactical decision to split his troops, he was very hampered by the actions of Major Reno (who's always been the goat about the LBH) and, particularly, Captain Frederick Benteen. Benteen's recalcitrance in going swiftly (or at all) to Custer's aid when ordered to do so, and in so doing not resupplying Custer's battalion with ammo, definitely contributed to the annihilation of Custer's troops.

But it did allow Benteen to survive.

Oh yeah...and the 10,000 Indians, including over 2,000 warriors, didn't help Custer's odds any. They'd all gathered there to celebrate their victory at the Battle of the Rosebud. Custer apparently had intelligence (from his Crow scouts) alluding to this fact, but chose either to ignore it or to disbelieve the large numbers relayed to him. Bad choice, George.

I'm sure it's in poor taste, but the whole experience put me in mind of the punchline to an old joke, wherein Custer stands atop a hill and exclaims "Look at all them F-ng Indians!"

AAIIIC
06-02-10, 03:25 PM
My baby at Little Bighorn back in March 2008, when I drove from RI/CT to WA.
http://www.submariner.org/thepno95/Pictures/Cross%20Country%202008/little%20bighorn1%20-%20clean%20car%20(Medium).jpg

It is pretty interesting to stand on the actual grounds, read through even the brief descriptions of how the battle progressed, and get a feel for where people were coming from and what they would've been seeing. Particularly there, where (as far as I can tell) very little has changed with the terrain, vegetation, etc.

In contrast, a few years ago on my way to a track event at Virginia Intl Raceway, I stopped at the Staunton River Battlefield State Park (http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state_parks/stb.shtml) in southern VA. You basically can't see anything of the battlefield, because what used to be open fields and farmland has become re-forested (naturally) over the past 140 years. Kinda took the fun out of it. "Ahhhh, here I stand on the Confederate earthen works, looking out at the terrain upon which the Union forces advanced. Well, that's what I'm imagining I'm looking out at, because in reality all I can see is the trees that are 50ft away." :(

Anyway, glad to hear you had a successful road trip. I hit a couple of those spots on my cross-country trips in 2008 and 2010, but still have a few to get to. As James said, Glacier NP is definitely on the list of places to get to.

3Fletch
06-02-10, 10:08 PM
Great to see another V owner in Oregon. Not many of us out here. Looks like you had a great trip. I will be heading to Yosemite in a few weeks.:bouncy:

Fletch

Umpquacod
06-02-10, 11:01 PM
Oregon, huh? What part you be from/in?

Agreed that there're very few of us around in this state. I understand that a few reside in the Portland area, but down here in the Banana Belt I've only seen two...and one was mine. :)

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-03-10, 02:50 AM
Cool trip. I've been to the battlefield once but it was a long time ago (I'm from Billings, MT). I've also been to Mt Rushmore and a few other places in SD (also a long time ago), but never been to Glacier yet.

Umpquacod
06-03-10, 07:28 AM
Cool trip. I've been to the battlefield once but it was a long time ago (I'm from Billings, MT). I've also been to Mt Rushmore and a few other places in SD (also a long time ago), but never been to Glacier yet.

Billings is an interesting place. Only city we visited where I actually got lost in traffic. Dunno if they're a new thing there (they look new), but they have these traffic "roundabouts" that spin you around and shoot you out like you're in Europe. Wasn't expecting anything like that in Montana.

BTW, I now understand why it's called the "Big Sky State." Beautiful! And a PITA to drive across in one day. :)

3Fletch
06-03-10, 08:32 AM
I'm in the Medford area "Eagle Point" to be exact. I was searching for several years before I found my V. There are a few up in Portland but not many in my area. I find myself explaining the differences between our V and the standard CTS all the time (Even to the Local Cadillac dealer-shop). I'm not sure where Umpqua is but I would guess it's around the Umpqua rivers which I am aware of since I fish them a bit. We head to the coast several times a year (Brookings-Bandon) on family weekend trips. Maybe I will see you out there somewhere...

UnsafeAtAnySpd
06-03-10, 11:49 AM
Billings is an interesting place. Only city we visited where I actually got lost in traffic. Dunno if they're a new thing there (they look new), but they have these traffic "roundabouts" that spin you around and shoot you out like you're in Europe. Wasn't expecting anything like that in Montana.

BTW, I now understand why it's called the "Big Sky State." Beautiful! And a PITA to drive across in one day. :)

Yeah, Billings is definitely unique to the rest of the state in size and a few other things. If I were to move back to MT, it would be to here. The roundabouts are fairly new. A few weeks back was the first time I had been here in about half a year (I'm visiting right now as well) and it's crazy how much things have changed.

Umpquacod
06-03-10, 01:00 PM
I'm in the Medford area "Eagle Point" to be exact. I was searching for several years before I found my V. There are a few up in Portland but not many in my area. I find myself explaining the differences between our V and the standard CTS all the time (Even to the Local Cadillac dealer-shop). I'm not sure where Umpqua is but I would guess it's around the Umpqua rivers which I am aware of since I fish them a bit. We head to the coast several times a year (Brookings-Bandon) on family weekend trips. Maybe I will see you out there somewhere...

The community of Umpqua (pop: 290) is about 20 miles due west of Sutherlin (exit 136). I'm right on the main Umpqua River...can hit the water with a rock from my deck. Supposedly great fishing, I'm told, but couldn't prove it by me, at least for the big fish. I'm more of a bass kinda guy. I keep a boat in the water all summer for that purpose...if summer ever gets here!

Be happy to have you stop by for a bout of bass fishing...or steelhead or salmon if that's your gig.

As for the V out here, my few neighbors are still wondering how that silver luxury car, driven by the old guy in bib overalls, can sound so irreverent. :) I couldn't find one locally either...had to go to Phoenix for a decent one.

----Mac