cts-v2009
06-01-10, 02:49 AM
So

556 hp vs 620 hp

Enjoy all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJNG5S5ZxpM

mugatu22
06-01-10, 04:02 AM
That Bentley certainly is nice, on an entirely different planet in terms of cars.

I'd still take 3 CTS-Vs and build a 3-car garage for that price though, LOL.

neuronbob
06-01-10, 09:57 AM
That Bentley is HOT....and obviously very fast. AWD=better hookup at the line, too.

ItsJustMyCaddy
06-01-10, 10:07 AM
There have been two replies so far. One resorting to the "it's fast but I could mod my caddy and buy a beach house" and the other with a tasteful "car is awsome". Hopefully as this thread grows, there will be more of the latter and less of the former. No offense Mugatu, while your point is totally accurate, those arguements never go anywhere productive.

CTSV4now
06-01-10, 10:28 AM
They both seem to be going very slow. I call BS on this so called race.

TMC CL65
06-01-10, 10:32 AM
The Continental Supersport is an incredible car. However, I think some facts should be added to the discussion. The Supersport edition drops some serious weight (over 300lbs) even from the Continental Speed model. Part of that weight reduction program was the deletion of the rear seats. They actually install a pretty cool carbon fiber brace across the former back seats for added structural rigidity. The fact that it is a two seater and costs as much as it does puts it in the stratosphere of high performance cars. Me personally...I would select a bunch of cars before even thinking about this Bentley (i.e. Lambo LP640, Ferrari 599, SL65 Black Series, etc.). That shouldn't take away from how nice the Bentley is. I just think they should have compared apples to apples, for instance a ZR1 would have been a more appropriate drag race partner.

Tom

Yeqon
06-01-10, 10:32 AM
I still love the Bentley. Would look much better with matte paint however! Red is for Ferraris and that is it! It always reminds me of in the movie "Doomsday" when she is TRYING to out run a beat up old pick up truck in a flying spur!

Caroutisine
06-01-10, 01:08 PM
Cool video :)

Vlakaz
06-01-10, 01:13 PM
They both seem to be going very slow. I call BS on this so called race.

I second your opinion. Seemed like a very tame start from the V.... perhaps they started the V in 3rd gear?

plus, the guy in the V is a pretty built big dude, that probably makes up the weight difference between the cars.

onebadcad
06-01-10, 01:30 PM
The Supersports is nice, but not a great comparo to a 4-door that is priced at 1/4 of it. I thought the Bentley would win by more than 2 car lengths. While I can appreciate its rareness, exclusivity and engineering, I can think of many cars in the $275K range that are more fun to drive. To each their own, if you can afford one, you do not need to listen to anyone else's opinion.
BTW, removing the rear seats is ballin'!!!

wfo
06-01-10, 02:52 PM
I'm thinking the V wasn't driven as agressively as it could have been. In any event, the Bentley is in a world of it's own. Exudes quality and substantialty and lots of ponies, but all at Caviar prices. I don't get the comparo with a $65k car anyway.

TMC CL65
06-01-10, 03:41 PM
Some test results from Car & Driver shows them to be pretty close performance wise. Is the car in the video a manual? If so, the driver's skill becomes that much more important:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q1/2010_bentley_continental_supersports-short_take_road_test

Continential Supersports:
0-60: 3.6
0-100: 8.7
0-130: 14.7
0-150: 21.1
1/4 mile: 12.0 @ 118mph

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/09q2/2009_cadillac_cts-v_automatic-short_take_road_test

CTS-V (automatic)
0-60: 3.9
0-100: 8.7
0-130: 14.8
0-150: 21.5
1/4 mile: 12.2 @ 119mph

Fubar75207
06-01-10, 04:53 PM
The Continental Supersport is an incredible car. However, I think some facts should be added to the discussion. The Supersport edition drops some serious weight (over 300lbs) even from the Continental Speed model. Part of that weight reduction program was the deletion of the rear seats. They actually install a pretty cool carbon fiber brace across the former back seats for added structural rigidity. The fact that it is a two seater and costs as much as it does puts it in the stratosphere of high performance cars. Me personally...I would select a bunch of cars before even thinking about this Bentley (i.e. Lambo LP640, Ferrari 599, SL65 Black Series, etc.). That shouldn't take away from how nice the Bentley is. I just think they should have compared apples to apples, for instance a ZR1 would have been a more appropriate drag race partner.

Tom

It looks like it has seats back there but I don't know the car well enough to speak with authority. I do agree that this is an apples & oranges test. However it is still cool to see two warhorses go at it.

Thanks for the post.

TMC CL65
06-01-10, 05:47 PM
It looks like it has seats back there but I don't know the car well enough to speak with authority. I do agree that this is an apples & oranges test. However it is still cool to see two warhorses go at it.

Thanks for the post.

On April 1st Bentley announced that they are now offering an option (additional $5K :confused:) for rear seats.

The red Supersport in the video appears to be the same one tested by all the publications. Here is a picture below, you can see the carbon fiber brace, the back "wall" is upholstered in the same quilt pattern as the front seats:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q1/2010_bentley_continental_supersports-short_take_road_test/gallery/2010_bentley_continental_supersports_interior_phot o_14

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q1/2010_bentley_continental_supersports-short_take_road_test/gallery/2010_bentley_continental_supersports_interior_phot o_26

Tom

CVP33
06-01-10, 08:32 PM
Well that settles it for me. I was on the fence, but now it's the Bentley. :cookoo:

Stupid comparison from the who gives a flying sh!t department. Waiting for the Evo IX vs. GT3 comparison next. :suspect:

Caroutisine
06-01-10, 08:47 PM
I second your opinion. Seemed like a very tame start from the V.... perhaps they started the V in 3rd gear?

plus, the guy in the V is a pretty built big dude, that probably makes up the weight difference between the cars.

Yea, I bet he has to eat a lot to keep that weight up :)

mugatu22
06-02-10, 04:58 AM
There have been two replies so far. One resorting to the "it's fast but I could mod my caddy and buy a beach house" and the other with a tasteful "car is awsome". Hopefully as this thread grows, there will be more of the latter and less of the former. No offense Mugatu, while your point is totally accurate, those arguements never go anywhere productive.

1) Who made you arbiter of this thread?

2) I didn't say anything about modding a CTS-V or buying a beach house.

3) No offense either, but my observation wasn't an "arguement."

4) It's ironic that I defend/compliment the CTS-V on a CTS-V board, and you call me out and say that you're hoping for more "tasteful" comments on how awesome the Bentley is. :cookoo: I assume you're keeping track of everyone's posts?

It's funny that I also find the Bentley a superior car (though apples to oranges once again) but I kept that to myself so as not to offend the locals who are extremely defensive of their CTS-V's. Back off.

TMC CL65
06-02-10, 02:19 PM
On April 1st Bentley announced that they are now offering an option (additional $5K :confused:) for rear seats.

The red Supersport in the video appears to be the same one tested by all the publications. Here is a picture below, you can see the carbon fiber brace, the back "wall" is upholstered in the same quilt pattern as the front seats:

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q1/2010_bentley_continental_supersports-short_take_road_test/gallery/2010_bentley_continental_supersports_interior_phot o_14

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/car/10q1/2010_bentley_continental_supersports-short_take_road_test/gallery/2010_bentley_continental_supersports_interior_phot o_26

Tom

My bad! The follow up video on youtube does indeed show that the Supersport tested has the optional rear seats.

Tom