: BIG TIME Electrical Problems on 94 FWB!!!!!!

CADDYDADDY13
05-29-10, 10:25 PM
I am having big time problems all of a sudden with my 94 Fleetwood Brougham!

On Wednesday I noticed that the Passenger side front window wasn't working. Then Friday Morning I tried it again and all of a sudden it worked!!! Good right!!?
Well then when I got to work i shut the car off and none of the power features were working. The locks didn't work and I tried the power seats and they didn't work. Also the door lights weren't turning on!
So When I went out to the car later on break still nothing. Then after work I went to the car and everything was working fine.

Today I went out to start the car and it wouldn't start, the lights turned on on the dash and it dinged but wouldn't start. Then after trying a couple times the lights all turned off and dings stopped and was as if car was dead. But the Battery is brand new! So I waited a few minutes and then went to start the car and it started fine.
So I went to pull it into the shade so I could wash it and as the car started to move I noticed flickering in all of the lights. As I pulled into the spot, and stepped on the brake the lights dimmed with every press on the brake, and the engine seemed to lose power.

After I washed the car I went to start it to move it, and nothing was working again and the car wouldn't start. No lights came on and engine wouldn't even attempt to turn over. it was as though no battery was in the car. Then after turning the key a ton of times to try and get her to start some weird dinging sound started that didn't sound like the normal dinging. But still nothing. I checked battery cables and they were fine.
Then as I was getting out of the car after giving up I started to hear a ticking sound in the dash to the bottom left of dash. I got pissed and left the car and took a different car home. I got my other set of keys thinking maybe it had to do with the pass fault key. and came back to the car about 30 minutes later. I got in and she started right up. But none of the power features worked. And the temp control was turned on all of a sudden and it would not turn off. Nothing happened when I pressed the buttons! Then after car idled for about a minute all of a sudden everything worked again!!!!!!!!

So I started to drive her out of the driveway and she started kind of sputtering losing power!! Almost like she wanted to stall out.

What the heck is going on!!!!!????????? I can't drive her!!

Anybody have an idea?? Or has anyone had similar problems??

HUF
05-29-10, 10:54 PM
So you recently changed the battery? Have you put a new battery because you had some of the symptoms at the time?

CADDYDADDY13
05-29-10, 11:37 PM
I put in a new battery because before i bought the car it had been sitting undriven for several months and it was an old battery. It was giving off a weak reading(the car started fine with it in however). But it needed one.
It had none of these symptoms at the time, until just a few days ago.
All of this is new!

CADDYDADDY13
05-29-10, 11:38 PM
I put the battery in about a month ago

jayoldschool
05-29-10, 11:50 PM
Every time I have had a problem like this, it has been a bad battery connection. Take apart the battery terminals (pop the metal bolts out of the rubber end caps), clean using baking soda and water, lube using dilectric grease, and put back together making sure the connections are snug.

HUF
05-29-10, 11:58 PM
^+1 The cables sometimes rot under the insulation. You would not even see it.

CADDYDADDY13
05-31-10, 01:14 AM
What would cause that ticking sound i heard in the dash.... and the strange dinging? I can't imagine that a loose or bad cable could cause that?

Stingroo
05-31-10, 07:36 AM
Could be though, like a bad ground and something is going screwy underneath somewhere.

Electrics are annoying.

CADDYDADDY13
06-01-10, 08:29 PM
Well I brought the car into the shop today. So we will see what he says!

jayoldschool
06-01-10, 08:36 PM
Did you do what I told you first?