: Service advice in LA California

ronr
05-29-10, 11:12 PM
One of the guys I work with has an '04 V and he took it in because he was getting a low coolant message. He lives in LA (Hollywood area) and the dealer he took it to must be a little too used to the Beverley Hills crowd. Here's what they suggested:
- New brakes (all 4 corners with 60k miles on the odo) $700
- New tires @$300 (Falken RT615's that I paid @$165)
- New radiator and water pump (to fix low coolant problem) $1,600 (note, no visible leaks or puddles)

Needless to say I suggested he go pick it up but now he does need a place to take it and have it checked.

Any suggestions/recommendations from those of you out that way?

ronr
06-01-10, 06:28 AM
Nobody?

perfect
06-01-10, 11:47 AM
I had my local KC dealer try to sell me on the replacing the water pump idea. They did a pressure test (twice) and could never find a leak.

I decided that it wasn't worth the cost of "fixing" the water pump when there was no evidence to support that it required it.

Our coolant systems do sometimes leak slowly. Darkman will be here shortly to explain why and some of the possible solutions to fix it.

BTW, my dealer insisted that my water pump was the problem and that it would fail. 12k miles later it's still fine and my coolant just needs to be refilled every few months.

perfect
06-01-10, 11:48 AM
Also, I would find a new dealer. I hate when they try to push brakes/tires/BS when I take my car in for a completely non-related issue.

heavymetals
06-01-10, 01:53 PM
This guy is very good and fair.

Jeff @ Jeff's Auto 818-998-4410

rand49er
06-02-10, 12:34 AM
New tires fix low coolant levels every time. :rolleyes:

ronr
06-02-10, 08:23 AM
New tires fix low coolant levels every time. :rolleyes:

I know, right! Maybe I just need to make a trip out there and help him fix the problems... and visit the beach of course :thumbsup:

Gary Wells
06-02-10, 09:13 PM
D3 in Signal hill.
They specialize in late model CTS-V Cads.
They are also a supporting supplier / vendor of this site.