: Help Please!

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-29-10, 02:34 PM
So here I am at the track and I'm pretty sure my steering rack just went out on me. Here's what happened. On only the third lap of the first session (so not even really pushing it that hard yet) I go to turn and it is hard as hell to. I straighten it out brake harder and turn in again. Very hard to turn even at speed. Stopped and engine off I can't even really turn at all. Fluid in pump is full. Belt is good. Pump seems to be straining hard against the rack when running. With front wheels off the ground and engine off, wheels turns but feels weird and seems to 'catch' throughout movement. Everything 'looks' fine under the car and with the suspension. Any other suggestions? I don't even know how I'm going to get home. Fml.

thebigjimsho
05-29-10, 02:58 PM
I don't have any answers for you. How does the pump sound when turning? Does it make any groaning at all?

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-29-10, 03:22 PM
After messing with it somemore it does seem like it might just be the pump. I think I'll attempt to drive it home. The pump does groan bad. Orignally I was thinking it was trying to work against the rack.

Edit: how hard is the pump to replace?

heavymetals
05-29-10, 04:53 PM
Fairly easy, but if you have an LS6, there is one bolt that is just an ass kicker.

Removal is about 1/8 (if that) of a turn at a time. :rant2:

sak_v
05-29-10, 05:08 PM
the intake box needs to be removed and few bolts. One thing you have to be carefull is the reservoire. DO NOT BRAKE IT !!!!
it took me 2 months to get it. and when removing the power steering try to keep the pullie on it.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-29-10, 07:41 PM
Any disadvantage to disc@onnecting the throttle body? That's how I just pulled the one from my parts car. It gave me access to all three pump mounting bracket bolts. Headed back home with the pump now.

darkman
05-29-10, 07:54 PM
Any disadvantage to disc@onnecting the throttle body? That's how I just pulled the one from my parts car. It gave me access to all three pump mounting bracket bolts. Headed back home with the pump now.

The only disadvantage to disconnecting the throttle body (on an LS6) that comes to mind is the need to drain some coolant first. If that allows access - go for it. (I had to remove my radiator to get to my power steering pump because the bottom bolt was rounding off on me.)

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-29-10, 11:44 PM
Well, I swapped the pumps out. Everything seems to work fine now. I'm thinking about heading back to the track in the morning. I'm kind of nervous that it was something else that caused the pump to all the sudden crap out like that though. I would hate for something else to go wrong again.

AAIIIC
05-30-10, 12:12 AM
I killed a PS pump with a couple of auto-x events with maybe under 36k miles total on the car. Based on that, it doesn't seem like the pumps have much tolerance for abuse. I went to the first auto-x and at the end of each run the pump was whining like there was no tomorrow. Once the fluid cooled off it was OK. Went to a second auto-x months later and by the end of my 4 runs the pump was done - little to no assist. Fortunately, it was covered under warranty. The replacement has somewhere in the 15-20k range on it, with a number of track days and a couple auto-xs, and is doing good so far. I plan to add a bigger cooler, as others have done, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-30-10, 12:18 AM
Yeah, this one lasted quite a while. As far as I know it's the original pump. I pulled into the paddock area last night showing 100,002 miles which includes 15 track days. So yeah, hoping that it is just the pump. I had a check ride scheduled to move on to HPDE 4 today too. :angry:

thebigjimsho
05-30-10, 12:24 AM
Never replaced my original pump. It would whine on cold days and after hot laps but if I replace the fluid regularly using the turkey baster method, no problems...

UnsafeAtAnySpd
05-30-10, 01:27 AM
They last for 100k miles. :D

I'm pretty sure I'm going to head back again in the morning, dark and early... fingers crossed...

I've had enough shit going on lately. The worst is that my car breaking down at the beginning of a track weekend is a minor one compared... :(