: Does anyone else have a creaky seat?

Ive's V
05-29-10, 11:48 AM
Hello all, I was wondering if anyone else had a seat that seems to have just enough movement to give a creak or shifting feeling. My driver's lower seat cushion, seems to have a little play in it, so when you are clutching, it gives just a little. I'm not yet sure if its the cushion or the seat tracks. They can't be overly worn, since the car has 19000 miles on it, and I've owned it since 10000 miles. The previous owner was not a big guy, and I'm definitely not, so it's not like excess weight is a contributor. I just wanted to see what all of you guys have experienced.

rand49er
05-29-10, 11:59 AM
All quiet here.

Have you tried Vaseline on the backside of your thighs?

j/k :hide:

gsx-lex
05-29-10, 12:05 PM
I also have this feeling, but I've always contributed my size (not overweight, but definitely a heavy guy) to it. I also felt this in my Evo and Mini as well. I know exactly the feeling you are describing.

Ive's V
05-29-10, 12:27 PM
All quiet here.

Have you tried Vaseline on the backside of your thighs?

j/k :hide:

You funny guy! It's not creaking between me and the seat, its between the seat and track....

ahahnu
05-29-10, 02:13 PM
My passenger seat is loose, if I can call it that. It rattles when I'm driving around. I went to go tighten it and it seems to go below the carpeting. Beyond my capabilities.

trhs75
05-29-10, 05:10 PM
I think my driver's seat creaks each time I get in, then I think it's pretty quiet. I'm around 150 lb.

Ive's V
05-29-10, 07:00 PM
Tomorrow, I'm going to investigate where its coming from. I'll post what I find.

CadzillaTN
05-29-10, 08:06 PM
the front of the seat rails sit in a groove of the frame, not too snug really. you should check the 2 bolts holding the seat down which are on the back of the rails. one bolt holds the seat to the frame and the other is under a plastic cover. other than that, there are 2 bolts holding the bottom seat section onto the frame itself, but they shouldnt be loose and you cant get to them without taking the seat out. at 19k miles this should all be fine. the seat also has has some play at the pivot point of the back and bottom sections but it wouldnt creak. it could also be the springs under the pad if you hear it as you plop down.

Houdini
05-29-10, 10:32 PM
My 07 gives a slight movement/creak every time I get out of it. Feels like something is a tad loose. I'm going to check the bolts when I get back from vacation. Sunburn is a biatch! :)

jrosevear
05-30-10, 07:43 AM
My 06's shifts a tiny bit every now and then too. It generally happens when I'm flinging the car into a corner... not a moment when you want to be distracted by a loose seat! I've mostly gotten used to it at this point, but if anyone finds a fix, I'd like to hear about it.

Ive's V
05-30-10, 11:42 AM
[QUOTE=jrosevear;2259692]My 06's shifts a tiny bit every now and then too. It generally happens when I'm flinging the car into a corner... not a moment when you want to be distracted by a loose seat! I've mostly gotten used to it at this point, but if anyone finds a fix, I'd like to hear about it.[/QUOTET

That is the exact feeling I'm experiencing. I'm going to see if I can figure out where its coming from today. With kids, I have to steal the time away.

sthorn71
05-30-10, 01:23 PM
I am a big dude and I have a noise that comes from the right side of the seat rubbing against the center console. I tried leather conditioner and no luck with it. Has anyone else had this issue and thought of a way to resolve?
While were on annoying noises my steering wheel whines when I turn it. Iassume of I took it to the dealer they coulos resolve but if there is a quick fix I would love to know it.
Thanks and enjoy the long weekend!

Ive's V
05-31-10, 09:23 AM
FIXED!!!! There are 2 10mm nuts that hold the plastic seat frame to the metal tracks. Those 2 nuts were loose. But to go one step further. That plastic seat frame is bolted in the front, but slips through a rectangular hole in the back. Where the plastic is sitting against the metal, it can slide back and forth. Take the nuts off and the seat cushion will lift. Move the seat back rearwards a little and the cushion will pop up. I put 2 pieces of felt on the portion where the plastic sits against the metal, then reinstalled the cushion and tightened the nuts. No more movement or noise. I decide to check the passenger seat that gets very little action, and those nuts were a smidge loose too. Remember my car is low mileage, these nuts have to loose on everyone's car.

SFBayV
05-31-10, 11:46 PM
thanks for the tip on the loose bolts. Mine still seem to be fine after 61K. I haven't felt any looseness nor have I heard any rattling or squeaking. Not that I would over the sweet music of 3" B&B's.

-C

Ive's V
05-31-10, 11:54 PM
thanks for the tip on the loose bolts. Mine still seem to be fine after 61K. I haven't felt any looseness nor have I heard any rattling or squeaking. Not that I would over the sweet music of 3" B&B's.

-C

You are welcome. I'm thrilled and that it was easy to boot. The car feels totally great now. I was happy with it before, but when something so simple bugs you and you can make it gone, its awesome. I love my car more now.

cvettr/cts-v
06-01-10, 01:11 PM
FIXED!!!! There are 2 10mm nuts that hold the plastic seat frame to the metal tracks. Those 2 nuts were loose. But to go one step further. That plastic seat frame is bolted in the front, but slips through a rectangular hole in the back. Where the plastic is sitting against the metal, it can slide back and forth. Take the nuts off and the seat cushion will lift. Move the seat back rearwards a little and the cushion will pop up. I put 2 pieces of felt on the portion where the plastic sits against the metal, then reinstalled the cushion and tightened the nuts. No more movement or noise. I decide to check the passenger seat that gets very little action, and those nuts were a smidge loose too. Remember my car is low mileage, these nuts have to loose on everyone's car.

Did you by chance take pictures so everyone that has said they had similar issues would easily identify the nuts in question? Or are they easy to find?

Ive's V
06-01-10, 04:21 PM
Did you by chance take pictures so everyone that has said they had similar issues would easily identify the nuts in question? Or are they easy to find?

I'll take some pictures tonight and post them. They are easy to access without removal of anything. I'll post them after the kids are in bed.

cvettr/cts-v
06-01-10, 05:21 PM
Thanks, I like to visualize as much as possible.

CadzillaTN
06-01-10, 06:06 PM
I am a big dude and I have a noise that comes from the right side of the seat rubbing against the center console. I tried leather conditioner and no luck with it. Has anyone else had this issue and thought of a way to resolve?
While were on annoying noises my steering wheel whines when I turn it. Iassume of I took it to the dealer they coulos resolve but if there is a quick fix I would love to know it.
Thanks and enjoy the long weekend!

not sure how big you are, but im guessing bigger than average if you have to mention it. the right side of the seat is supported by a crappy tubular frame design whereas the left has a nice firm stepped plate (to protect the airbag). i would say this right side cant 'bend', but i dont know how big you are..if more than 250 all bets are off. you need lube for that seat side..or maybe a piece of black felt stuck to the console just where the pleather meets plastic.

otherwise, there is also a small 'arm' that is attached to the frame on each side which not only supports the pad for your bottom rib area, it holds the crappy plastic lumbar support net.. this arm on the right side was bent out about 10 degrees on mine from years of leaning on it. when i hammered it back in, my seat no longer rubbed. now, it has worked its way back out a bit. ive been wrangling this pece of shit seat for a while now, trying to get it even and feeling equally supportive... next step (round 4) is to weld a pie wedge behind this arm to keep it from moving again and weld a plate parallel to the frame that will provide a similar support feeling to the lelft side from the mid back up to shoulder.

f this seat. and the f'n useless suede too.

CadzillaTN
06-02-10, 01:29 AM
'loose' bolts mentioned by Ive are circled in red, slots in green

darkman
06-02-10, 12:46 PM
I had not been following this thread, but I came accross the attached.

Ive's V
06-02-10, 01:30 PM
'loose' bolts mentioned by Ive are circled in red, slots in green

That would be them. I couldn't have taken pictures that good myself. The red circles were loose. The green circles is where I added felt to where the seat cushion touches the metal track. By the way, I loved my car before, but its amazing how solid it feels when the seat does not move.