: Road America - GT Track Days - 6/28 & 29

silver02stang
05-29-10, 09:17 AM
Yes - 6/28 & 6/29 are a Monday and Tuesday. Is anyone going and on what day? Both? I'm not going to be running, but seeing as I have yet to see a V1 on a track (I rarely see one in town) I'm planning on coming out there as a spectator. It would be nice to come out when the majority of V owners are out there - even if its just one. :2thumbs:

crankedupforit
05-29-10, 10:35 AM
I'm trying to get out there at least one day. Depends on what happens after Autobahn. Maybe I'll see you there.

thebigjimsho
05-29-10, 02:03 PM
June 28th is V-Day at Summit Point. I bet many in the midwest/Great Lakes area are going to that...

silver02stang
05-29-10, 02:17 PM
Hmm. Where's Summit?

PISNUOFF
05-29-10, 06:07 PM
Summit Point, Virginia.

crankedupforit
05-29-10, 08:37 PM
A bit far from cheeseland. Road America is 40 minutes from me. Summit is a must do and is on my bucket list.

darkman
05-29-10, 10:14 PM
A bit far from cheeseland. Road America is 40 minutes from me. Summit is a must do and is on my bucket list.

Threadjack - you need to free up some PM space.

crankedupforit
05-30-10, 07:08 PM
Threadjack - you need to free up some PM space.

Thanks man. I've attended to it.

Mallett Hammer
05-30-10, 09:48 PM
I was actually thinking about doing this and probably will. I have a friend that is going to race his fully prepared vette and he says that I have to do it because it is way more fun than auto-x. My only experience is with auto-x'ing but I want to give it a shot my with V. Although I haven't gotten to auto-x the V yet because of a long list of issues. I used to auto-x my 350Z and I loved it. So much fun and I can only imagine that a road course would be even more fun.

silver02stang
05-30-10, 10:00 PM
I'm trying to get out there at least one day. Depends on what happens after Autobahn. Maybe I'll see you there.

is there a particular day your leaning towards?

silver02stang
05-30-10, 10:01 PM
Summit Point, Virginia.

... a bit far. i aint driving to Virginia quite yet... perhaps some other time.

Mallett Hammer
06-21-10, 08:03 PM
Last day for online sign up is today! Lets get some others to join in on the fun with me. I don't want to be the only V out there.

crankedupforit
06-21-10, 08:44 PM
Last day for online sign up is today! Lets get some others to join in on the fun with me. I don't want to be the only V out there.

I'm down for Monday. I signed up 2 weeks ago.

crankedupforit
06-21-10, 09:30 PM
I checked the register and didn't see you yet. Let's hook up.

thebigjimsho
06-21-10, 10:51 PM
Let's hook up.
Okie dokie, then...

kirchbed
06-22-10, 12:50 AM
Summit Point, Virginia.

Actually it's West Virginia. Similar look, less money.

crankedupforit
06-22-10, 09:40 AM
Okie dokie, then...

Shmot azz

Mallett Hammer
06-22-10, 09:49 AM
I wish I would've came back and check the site to see that you were doing Monday. Are you only doing Monday? I signed up for ONLY Tuesday because I was looking at the weather and the weather for Monday was looking a little iffy. I also wanted to give Ron Davis another day to potentially get me my new radiator that I ordered from them like 2 weeks ago. Figured that might be a nice thing to have being that I am going to start doing more track days and auto-x events.

crankedupforit
06-22-10, 02:08 PM
I wish I would've came back and check the site to see that you were doing Monday. Are you only doing Monday? I signed up for ONLY Tuesday because I was looking at the weather and the weather for Monday was looking a little iffy. I also wanted to give Ron Davis another day to potentially get me my new radiator that I ordered from them like 2 weeks ago. Figured that might be a nice thing to have being that I am going to start doing more track days and auto-x events.

I'm monday only. They may let us switch days, but I 've got something going at work Tuesday. Good luck if I don't see you.

Mallett Hammer
06-22-10, 07:26 PM
I'm monday only. They may let us switch days, but I 've got something going at work Tuesday. Good luck if I don't see you.

Darn! Looks like it wont work out this time. I got in touch with a friend of mine and we are going to trailer the car to the event. I am located in Hartland, which is due West of Milwaukee on I-94 so we are looking at about 2 hour travel time. Have you even ran at Road America before? Where are you located in WI and what have you got done to your V if anything?

crankedupforit
06-22-10, 09:46 PM
Darn! Looks like it wont work out this time. I got in touch with a friend of mine and we are going to trailer the car to the event. I am located in Hartland, which is due West of Milwaukee on I-94 so we are looking at about 2 hour travel time. Have you even ran at Road America before? Where are you located in WI and what have you got done to your V if anything?

First time at RA. I'm in Kenosha county near the Illinois border (Trevor). My car has a few track mods. See my sig. Brakes and tires are the things to concentrate on with the equipment. Suspension mods are a plus. Power is already there even with a stock V. RA has some really long straights so it should be fun with our cars. You'll have a blast, relax and don't feel you need to prove anything.

silver02stang
06-23-10, 11:03 AM
I'll be coming out on Monday but only as a spectator. I'm workin in Madison on Tuesday so I'll only be able to make the one day. I'm just going to be glad to finally see a V1 out there. I frequent RA as it's only about 45min from my place. I've seen a few V2's run (one rolled), I just saw a V coupe this past weekend (parked - not racing, and the first one I've seen outside of Chicago Auto Show) during NASCAR, but never a V1. I'm looking forward to it as its fun even to just watch some times. My V is still my daily and with the travel I'm required for work, I can't afford to be out my primary vehicle if something were to happen.

Mallett Hammer
06-23-10, 08:49 PM
First time at RA. I'm in Kenosha county near the Illinois border (Trevor). My car has a few track mods. See my sig. Brakes and tires are the things to concentrate on with the equipment. Suspension mods are a plus. Power is already there even with a stock V. RA has some really long straights so it should be fun with our cars. You'll have a blast, relax and don't feel you need to prove anything.

I know exactly where that is I have a friend that I play golf with all the time that lives in Kenosha. I've played a few courses and tournaments down in that area. Sounds like you have some fun suspension things done which will pay off big time. My suspension is stock for now because I finally got the car running again and all my money was invested in that venture.

Oh believe me I know I have nothing to prove especially when it comes to road racing. I am beginning to understand the cars limits for auto-x, but those limits are going to be far different from the limits on RA. I just want to prove that I am not a dumb kid that is driving this nice car and of course have fun.

Have fun and let me know how it goes for you!

silver02stang
06-26-10, 09:46 PM
Hey! What time are you guys going out there? As I mentioned earlier, I can't run but I'm gonna come out and "spectate" and it just dawned on me that I never figured out a timeframe.

crankedupforit
06-27-10, 11:13 AM
Hey! What time are you guys going out there? As I mentioned earlier, I can't run but I'm gonna come out and "spectate" and it just dawned on me that I never figured out a timeframe.

Track sessions start around 8:00am. Look for a redline V

Mallett Hammer
06-28-10, 02:57 PM

Yep 8:00 tomorrow morning is when the fun begins.

My V is black. If your in the paddock stop by. I'll have a friend of mine along that will be spectating also and I'm sure he'll be looking for company. We have a huge 26' enclosed trailer that is silver and an F250 will be pulling it. Shouldn't be hard to spot it!

crankedupforit
06-28-10, 09:16 PM
Just got back about an hour ago. Road America......a drag strip with 14 corners! Don't be afraid to short shift and use 5th on the main straight and the hurry downs. You can hit a buck thirty easy on the main. It's easy to wring out 3rd gear to much and get the oil pretty hot. Use 4th to approach turn 3 and the carousel. Enjoy!

silver02stang
06-28-10, 09:41 PM
it was nice meetin you today. that V of yours sounded fantastic ripping out of turn 3 as you headed towards 4 and the treacherous turn 5 :). i know mine is my daily but one of these days i'm gonna suck it up and wring 'er anyway

crankedupforit
06-28-10, 09:48 PM
it was nice meetin you today. that V of yours sounded fantastic ripping out of turn 3 as you headed towards 4 and the treacherous turn 5 :). i know mine is my daily but one of these days i'm gonna suck it up and wring 'er anyway

Nice meeting you and the family Josh. Sooner or later you'll get your V out there. It's hard to resist.

Mallett Hammer
06-30-10, 07:46 AM
I'll I can say is that was one of the most insane things I've ever done! I had the same instructor as your did so we had a great time and he had a good understanding of the car. My first two scessions I just ran the car in 4th gear the entire time just to get familiar with everything...especially the line. My last two scessions of the day I was utalizing 3rd to 5th gear. I ran into some serious brake issues. I thought for sure that I was going to be good with my setup, but I definantly wasn't. The pads were on fire and I flat out just couldn't stop. Braking zones for me where like at the 7 marker....which really doesn't exist but I had a point in my mind where I needed to throw out the anchor.

My setup that failed was the EBC red stuff pads and thier matching slotted and milled rotors. After some research and talking to many yesterday I learned that stock rotors and carbotech pads are the way to go. He mentioned that you had great brakes! What were you running again?

That back stretch with the kink was pretty crazy. I was getting really close to topping out 5th gear there just before turn 12. Looking at the speedo at that point was not easy to do because there is so much else going on. I think I saw 146.

I also went on a ride with the guy, Rick, who had that fully prepared C6 Z06. Words can't even describe what that ride was like. His braking zones compared to mine where seriously half, and man did that thing have stick through the turns like none other. Felt like I was on a roller coaster ride, but way more fun.

Overall such a great day and I didn't brake anything other than fry some pads off!!

crankedupforit
06-30-10, 12:36 PM
I'll I can say is that was one of the most insane things I've ever done! I had the same instructor as your did so we had a great time and he had a good understanding of the car. My first two scessions I just ran the car in 4th gear the entire time just to get familiar with everything...especially the line. My last two scessions of the day I was utalizing 3rd to 5th gear. I ran into some serious brake issues. I thought for sure that I was going to be good with my setup, but I definantly wasn't. The pads were on fire and I flat out just couldn't stop. Braking zones for me where like at the 7 marker....which really doesn't exist but I had a point in my mind where I needed to throw out the anchor.

My setup that failed was the EBC red stuff pads and thier matching slotted and milled rotors. After some research and talking to many yesterday I learned that stock rotors and carbotech pads are the way to go. He mentioned that you had great brakes! What were you running again?

That back stretch with the kink was pretty crazy. I was getting really close to topping out 5th gear there just before turn 12. Looking at the speedo at that point was not easy to do because there is so much else going on. I think I saw 146.

I also went on a ride with the guy, Rick, who had that fully prepared C6 Z06. Words can't even describe what that ride was like. His braking zones compared to mine where seriously half, and man did that thing have stick through the turns like none other. Felt like I was on a roller coaster ride, but way more fun.

Overall such a great day and I didn't brake anything other than fry some pads off!!

Sounds like you had as much fun as I did. Joel was a great instructor and he pointed out a lot of good lines. At the end of the day I could really feel my times were improving. I was hitting the carousel in 4th carrying a lot more speed and setting up for taking the kink flat out. I never looked at my speedo in the hurry downs but if I saw 146 I'd have a condition brown, so I never looked. Mastering 14 to set up for the straight was key and Joel taught that corner well. I was hitting 5th by the start finish line, but to tell the truth I was also a bit tentative heading into turn 1 and usually dropped the hooks by the driveway. My pads were new Hawk HP+ all around. Never faded. Those Vettes were off the chain. I held one off in the kink but by turn 12 he was eating my lunch (the last session was everybody). Then he disappeared. I am definitely going back with MVP track days in October.

PISNUOFF
06-30-10, 02:50 PM
Am I missing where everyone is posting vids????

crankedupforit
06-30-10, 04:06 PM
Am I missing where everyone is posting vids????

We're broke buying brake pads Brian. :bonkers: Seriously though I'm getting a camera.