: How to remove battery 73 Fleetwood hearse

That_Hearse_guy
05-28-10, 11:37 PM
Just had the car towed to my home, how in the hell does this wierd battery holding mechanism work???

77CDV
05-28-10, 11:39 PM
I think you have the battery tray with the lever accutated holder. IIRC, if you pull the lever toward the front of the car, the holder should disengage.

That_Hearse_guy
05-28-10, 11:43 PM
yes, but where is the release for the lever? I tried prying, pulling, and cussing it out and none of them worked, normally the cussing will do the job. This one is pretty rusted mind you. Is the release generally under the car? at the top? etc etc?

77CDV
05-28-10, 11:52 PM
There's a retaining screw that holds the rod to the radiator cradle. Remove it, then move the lever out from under the retaining clip and pull forward. If it's really rusty, you may need to let it soak in a penetrating oil to free it up. I wish my Fleetwood wasn't in the shop or I'd look and give you better pointers. This is all I can gather from the FSM.

YourMainParadox
05-29-10, 09:13 AM
I have a 73 fleetwood hearse and there is nothing holding my battery in <.<

That_Hearse_guy
05-29-10, 09:24 AM
thanks for the info, ill be trying that first thing this morning.

What kind of hearse? Mine is a Miller Meteor, picked it up for 750, it had been sitting for 3 years, added some oil, anti-freeze, and some fuel and she fired right up. 27XXX original miles, straight from the funeral home.

The other thing that struck me as odd, was the fact that it has crank windows, and non-power seats. This is the first Hearse of the 5 i have had that has been like that. Normally they are all power everything, but hell, the less electronic BS the better as far as im concerned.

The-Dullahan
05-29-10, 03:11 PM
During the sixties and seventies, many Hearses were not built with power accessories, for the same reason even modern work trucks are often purchased without them. Nine--out-of-ten of these were MM Hearses, rather than Accubuilt or some smaller chains. Many Cotner-Bevington hearses were built that way as well. Haven't heard of many MM Hearses built that way after 1970 though.

77CDV
05-29-10, 03:25 PM
Considering the purpose of a hearse, and the distance one would normally be driven in the course of it's intended duties, the lack of accessories is not surprising. Their function was to look dignified and provide suitably muted grand transportation for the passenger's final ride. The comfort of the driver was not a high priority.

The-Dullahan
05-30-10, 01:18 AM
Considering the purpose of a hearse, and the distance one would normally be driven in the course of it's intended duties, the lack of accessories is not surprising. Their function was to look dignified and provide suitably muted grand transportation for the passenger's final ride. The comfort of the driver was not a high priority.

Exactly why 80's Brougham Hearses don't have leather interiors...not YET anyhow...

That_Hearse_guy
05-30-10, 09:44 AM
True, however out of the 4 Ive had, they had all been equipped with the power stuff, windows at least. They were all Superiors though, this is my first MM.

Also i figured out the battery, felt like a complete *******, i really....really dont know how i missed the lever. Thanks though sir.

The-Dullahan
05-30-10, 01:23 PM
Superior, it's more than a name.

Yeah, those MM's were always weird like that. (not that I'd pass up a nice one if I had the chance. I saw a great '72 Hearse for sale in Georgia that I'd have purchased immediatley had I never purchased my own and invested all those countless thousands into Her...Damn, I'd be a wealthy man.

YourMainParadox
05-31-10, 08:54 AM
Mine is superior but no power anything

The-Dullahan
05-31-10, 04:47 PM
Mine is superior but no power anything

Because yours was built in the 70's. Only about 50% of the Hearses built in the 70's by Superior had power accessories. By the eighties it was all of them (never heard of one that DIDN'T), but they did not all have all the options (cruise control, etc) and to be honest, I ADORE roll-down windows. I really hope you and I both make it to the FL meet, I really want to check out your beautiful chariot.

YourMainParadox
06-01-10, 04:20 AM
I won't be making it to the meet unless it is in jacksonville. I go to a car show here every 2nd saturday of the month. The hearse has cruise control but it does not do anything :(

The-Dullahan
06-01-10, 02:59 PM
I won't be making it to the meet unless it is in jacksonville. I go to a car show here every 2nd saturday of the month. The hearse has cruise control but it does not do anything :(

Mine has no cruise control, which has puzzled forum members, as some of them presumed that all '87 Broughams had it. I have the wire harness for the engine and such, so really, if I purchased a switch and the faceplate for the dash, I could install it, but why do that?

I guess then I could be as cool as these guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJDLRCXR2ZM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlTvSUCCqPo

brougham_geezer
06-02-10, 12:56 PM
No cruise and no tilt wheel in my blue '80 Superior Sovereign Landaulet (Z code commercial chassis). No twilight sentinel or auto-dim. No power locks either. It does have power windows and a power cloth bench. Has Coupe deVille-style flip-forward seatbacks. Factory AM/FM, but no cassette. Has deVille steering wheel but Fleetwood hood ornament, Fleetwood vaned wheel covers w/ wreath and interior courtesey light lenses with wreaths on the doors. The glovebox door is bare, with no script/badging ever present. The hood is deVille with no chrome trim, but the lower body stainless is Fleetwood style. The body has never been touched and wears the factory paint.