: "Presidential" limo info

Peter90
05-28-10, 12:30 PM
hello everyone, I am new to the forum and then i don't know if i was right to create a new thread. I would like more information about this particular cadillac model...and if it is possible i want to know where to find pictures and technical details of the car. Can anyone help me?

http://i47.tinypic.com/23w2lww.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/2ltoj6b.jpg

http://i50.tinypic.com/o0axpy.jpg

77CDV
05-28-10, 11:42 PM
It's the presidential limousine version of the 1993-1996 Fleetwood Brougham. Some of them are still in government service. I have no idea where you would begin to go about finding one to buy.

Peter90
05-29-10, 02:44 AM
Thank you. At the moment I'm just trying to find information and possibly potographs.

The-Dullahan
05-29-10, 03:42 AM
VISUALLY speaking, it is not spectacularly different than many other Limousines. One could easilly find one of THOSE if you went looking, aside from the fact that most Limos you will find produced after the 80's will be Lincolns (or H2's, but I am not counting that stretched minivan as a Limousine as whilst referring to that childish machine, the term "Professional" is an oxymoron)

Bro-Ham
05-29-10, 01:21 PM
The limousines used by the federal government were built to duplicate the original factory produced Cadillac Limousine style, built until 1984 in rear drive, which were not six door limousines, rather four door limousines with back seats set deep inside and fold-out jump seats for additional passengers.

When President George W. Bush was inaugurated he rode in one of these 93-96 style custom Fleetwood Limousines during his trip to morning prayer services and then to the whitehouse to meet Clinton. I can remember vividly watching on TV when President-Elect Bush alighted from the limo and flipped forward the jump seat as he got out. There may possibly be youtube video of this or C-span archives. This same limo brought the Bushes to the whitehouse where they met the Clintons prior to riding together in the all new 2001 deVille/DTS based presidential limousine over to the capital for the actual inauguration. :)

Bro-Ham
05-29-10, 01:25 PM
One more thing, the white car shown above and the government built cars are not done by the same coachbuilder even though they look similar. The government cars are done, if I remember correctly, by Hess & Eisenhardt/O'Gara, which makes all the custom tank like protective government duty limousines and other armored vehicles.

Stingroo
05-29-10, 01:33 PM
The government issue one will probably also be about a thousand pounds heavier than your normal limousine conversion. They're armored, quite heavily too. They did a whole segment on government armored cars on Futureweapons (if I remember right).

I never knew they used the Fleetwoods though. That's AWESOME.

Peter90
05-30-10, 04:17 AM
Thanks to all of you for your help...but I'm still confused (I'm Italian so I my English is not the best)
Well, during Reagan administration, the secret services, for moving the President had at their disposal not only the Cadillac One, but also a a shorter version of The Beast, I think it's the 1980 Cadillac fleetwood Limousine

http://i48.tinypic.com/vgledl.jpg

very similar to the the 1993-1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham of clinton's presidency

http://i47.tinypic.com/23w2lww.jpg

So the problem is that I can find pictures of the 1980 cadillac fleetwood limousine but I can't find nothing about 1993-1996 Cadillac fleetwood brouhman (if you call so).

when I type 1993-1996 Cadillac fleetwood brougham, google finds car like this

http://i45.tinypic.com/w0qm3p.jpg

but not like this

http://i50.tinypic.com/o0axpy.jpg

sven914
05-30-10, 10:25 AM
This was Clinton's limousine (1993):

http://www.ericptak.com/emails-and-forwards/wp-uploads/History_of_Presidential_Limos/08.jpg

As for buying one, they were all custom build by a coach builder, which makes them rare and expensive. Try doing an internet search for "used limousine sales" to find a company that might have what you want. Click this link (http://www.ericptak.com/emails-and-forwards/wp-uploads/History_of_Presidential_Limos/08.jpg) for a list of limousine classified adds; about half way down the page are two adds for a 93 (CAD 201) and a 94 (CAD 202) 64" limousine. Maybe the seller will be able to give you some information on the models/body styles, and how to a quire one in your area.

Stingroo
05-30-10, 11:19 AM
That's a skinny ass C pillar...

Or in this case... E pillar? lol

Bro-Ham
05-30-10, 11:43 AM
Presidential limousines always have a wide open glass area in back so the the people can see the President and the President can see the people and they can all wave to each other. :)

77CDV
05-30-10, 02:05 PM
The 1980 model was still stretched at the B-pillar, but otherwise is mostly like a factory Series 75 in appearance.

Bro-Ham
05-30-10, 02:27 PM
The government used many of these factory looking limousines - not usually for the President, but VP, sec of state, visiting dignitaries, etc. I think there were more of these limousines in use than we may think.

Aron9000
05-30-10, 03:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_UQdixHLCY

This thing is so freaking badass!!!!!! I'd so rock this if I had a bottomless checkbook, as I'm sure its the ONLY one that got into public hands. The secret service had a lot of the old ones destroyed unfortuently, so they wouldn't fall into our enemies hands.

Also, $250,000 was the final hammer on that:bonkers::bonkers::bonkers:

CBodyFan
05-30-10, 10:05 PM
A bit of trivia: the reason Cadillac could build an in-house limousine long after other makers had abandoned that market was the fact that the 75 used a Sedan deVille from the b-pillar forward and a Coupe deVille rear with a new center section. A clever bit of engineering that allowed Cadillac to build a "true" limousine (with the rear passengers sitting behind the rear door) as opposed to today's stretches.

As for the Presidential limousines, I don't think they will sell them to the general public because they don't want the bad guys to know how they are armoured.

Bro-Ham
05-31-10, 03:20 PM
A bit of trivia: the reason Cadillac could build an in-house limousine long after other makers had abandoned that market was the fact that the 75 used a Sedan deVille from the b-pillar forward and a Coupe deVille rear with a new center section. A clever bit of engineering that allowed Cadillac to build a "true" limousine (with the rear passengers sitting behind the rear door) as opposed to today's stretches.

As for the Presidential limousines, I don't think they will sell them to the general public because they don't want the bad guys to know how they are armoured.

Check the rear roofline on the factory limousines since, especially in 77-79, the roofline behind the opera windows is far more upright than a Coupe deVille. It's possible the factory limousines were cobbled together in this manner, joining a coupe and sedan, although there is still quite a bit of customizing.

CBodyFan
05-31-10, 04:38 PM
Interesting point. Perhaps they used a unique stamping for the sail panel along with a Coupe deVille quarter panel. It has always been my understanding that the quarter, sail and roof panels are three separate stampings.

I wouldn't use the term "cobbled" to describe the series 75, however. The long wheel base series 75 sedans and limousines were engineered by Cadillac from the get-go to be chauffer driven sedans. They were not stretches like today’s limousines but purpose-built cars just like the Calais, deVille and 60 Special. From a practical view point I believe as much tooling as possible would be shared with the standard cars. This is what I have always read and it seems to make sense. Otherwise Cadillac could not have built a competitively priced limousine.

As an example of using the tooling from two different models there is the 1976 Seville. Fisher Body refused to tool a roof stamping because they were not convinced there would be enough volume for it to be cost effective. Therefore Cadillac had to weld an X-body roof stamping to the rear roof/sail panel assembly of the Seville. This left a seam that had to be covered with the standard padded roof. Fisher relented for 1977, tooled a full length roof panel, and a painted top Seville became available. So a unique series 75 sail panel stamping is certainly possible.

As an aside I always felt the FWD series 75 was a huge mistake. They should have continued the RWD 75 along with the Brougham and not built any FWD Fleetwoods. The 4.1 in the Brougham was a mistake as well.

It is noteworthy what a great car company Cadillac was when it actually had it's own engineers and factory. The 1984 reorganization that left Cadillac a marketing organization rather than a semi-autonomous auto maker was a disaster for General Motors. Although GM had been nibbling away at the divisions independence throughout the 1960s and 70s the 1984 reorganization was not only the death knell for Olds and Pontiac but GM as a whole.

gillianwhittaker@xtr
05-31-10, 08:39 PM
" The 4.1 in the Brougham was a mistake as well." :(

don`t hear a lot about the cimarron either :canttalk:

And what engine did you guys say powered that pres. limo ??:stirpot:

However, a beautiful piece of auto .

77CDV
05-31-10, 08:43 PM
The Series 75 during the 1980s used the 368. As for the pres. limos in the 1990s, I don't know, but the factory engine is a 350, which is what I would assume the aftermarket coachbuilders would retain when making the Series 75-like cars.

Aron9000
05-31-10, 09:11 PM
" The 4.1 in the Brougham was a mistake as well." :(

don`t hear a lot about the cimarron either :canttalk:

And what engine did you guys say powered that pres. limo ??:stirpot:

However, a beautiful piece of auto .

The motor under the hood of that Clinton era limo was a modified 454 big block Chevy. The HT4100 was never used on any limo, the commerical chassis package used the 368 through 1985, then they used the VIN 9 307 v8 from 86-89, then the 350 TBI from 90-93, then finally the LT1 from 94-96.

CBodyFan
05-31-10, 09:34 PM
There was a FWD series 75 built from 1985 to 1987 and I am pretty sure it used the 4.1.

The commercial chassis is a different animal.

77CDV
05-31-10, 09:41 PM
You're correct about the FWD Series 75s, they did use the 4.1, like all the other Cads except the Brougham and Cimmaron.

Aron9000
06-01-10, 12:05 AM
There was a FWD series 75 built from 1985 to 1987 and I am pretty sure it used the 4.1.

The commercial chassis is a different animal.

I forgot about those. Occasionally you see some 85-93 FWD based hearses and limos as well, usually the limos are the six door funeral home type.

Those FWD 75 series were just a sorry excuse for a car. Looked like a Chevrolet Celeberity with a little more wheelbase.