: 79 Coupe Deville - trying to figure out -it is or not D'Marchand edition.

antoonio
05-27-10, 02:54 PM
Hey
Id like to get some info about my car. As im not 100% sure, is it a D'Marchand edition or not.
About history:
Originally it is Texas car, from Houston. Sold at the beginning of january 1980 by David Taylor Cadillac Co (probably).
I bought it from Denver 2009. This car is repainted, when and who did it, i have not information.
So here is some pics. As much as i got some info from the net, it should be D'Marchand edition.

http://www.hot.ee/sniff01/Caddy/Caddy00202.jpg

Body must be two toned as we can see.

Present look

http://www.hot.ee/sniff01/Caddy/G6521A.jpg
sorry guys from Denver, I use your photo:D

http://www.hot.ee/sniff01/Caddy/door.JPG
interior.

outsider
05-27-10, 03:28 PM
I thought FWD on those tags meant Fleetwood...

Although I'm not an expert, just thought I read that in another post

Benzilla
05-27-10, 05:02 PM
Just looked at the tag on my Phaeton, it also says FWD, so.. probably not, haha.

That's definitely a D'Marchand interior though, or the best copy I've ever seen.

Stingroo
05-27-10, 05:37 PM
Craig will know. lol

Bro-Ham
05-27-10, 05:47 PM
The 79 special edition coupes were also called "Northbriar" in the midwest and, if I recall correctly, another name somewhere else in addition to the d'Marschand (or however it is spelled :) ). This car appears to be a non-two-tone car, the special editions were two tone black and light gray.

Stingroo
05-27-10, 05:48 PM
Could be a repaint?

Or do the codes indicate non-two tone?

antoonio
05-27-10, 06:05 PM
As i said on my first post, this car is repainted (100% sure). And trim tag says color code 19 90 (19-Sable Black and 90-Slate Firemist) which should be same as D'Marchand edition has originally or i am wrong:hmm:

Bro-Ham
05-27-10, 06:27 PM
If it was two-tone black over silver with that two tone interior plus the exclusive leather wrapped steering wheel then it is likely you have one of the 79 special edition cars. The 1979 Phaeton also had the leather wrapped steering wheel in the full size coupe. Where I grew up in Minnesota the special edition 79 Coupes in silver over black were called Northbriar, we didn't have the d'Marschand. Do some homework and you may be able to learn for sure which designation you have.

Two tone paints were first available on this style of car in 1979.

Cadillac_Fan
05-27-10, 06:28 PM
I think you've got a d'Marchand, that was (unfortunately, but perfectly & beautifully) repainted. (Only unfortunate insofar as they did not maintain the classic d'Marchand color scheme.)

Did the d'Marchand's have identifying badging/script like the Phaetons (i.e. placement on the rear fender / glove compartment)?

77CDV
05-28-10, 02:41 AM
Craig will know. lol

All I can tell you is that it's a 1979 CDV built the third week of March, 1979. The numbers following FWD indicate the body number. FWD used to stand for Fleetwood Coachworks, which built Cadillac bodies and was later absorbed into Fisher Body. Cadillac bodies were always designated with FWD, where the other makes used FIS or FSH (Fisher Body). Don't know when they stopped this. Beyond that, I can't reliably decode the rest of the body plate as I do not have the 1979 data book, and the build permutations and special editions multiplied exponentially for the 1979 model year.

brougham_geezer
05-28-10, 12:53 PM
All signs point to d'Marchand repaint. It's just gotta be! Beautiful vehicle with a badass interior... but those walmart spoke hubcaps have gotta go! :thehand:

Bro-Ham
05-28-10, 03:36 PM
You may have a d'Marschand unless the car was delivered new in the upper midwest and then you'd have a Northbriar. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-29-10, 10:34 AM
Was the d'Marchand a Cadillac factory option/package like a D'Elegance or Phaeton, or was it aftermarket/dealer made?

Northbriar sounds great too, kinda like the Northland edition Ford trucks they used to sell up this way.

Bro-Ham
05-29-10, 12:44 PM
Chad, Northbriar was exactly like what everyone calls the d'Marschand and when I was a kid that's what the two tone silver and black special edition coupes were called that were sold in Minnesota. They had a unique Northbriar emblem too. :)

sven914
05-30-10, 10:50 AM
The VIN says 19 90T... Doesn't the "T" indicate "Top Color" as in padded roof color? Or doesn't that apply to two toned cars?

Bro-Ham
05-30-10, 12:23 PM
If the car was 2-tone at some point the insides of the doors may show some evidence also.

antoonio
05-30-10, 02:50 PM
Thnx guys.
I was send an email to the seller this car, David Taylor Cadillac Co but got no answer yet (only automatic replys).

77CDV
05-30-10, 03:07 PM
Maybe. IIRC, the color break on these cars would be at the pinstripe. It's an odd approach, but in person it works.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-30-10, 10:48 PM
Chad, Northbriar was exactly like what everyone calls the d'Marschand and when I was a kid that's what the two tone silver and black special edition coupes were called that were sold in Minnesota. They had a unique Northbriar emblem too. :)

Northbriar sounds like a fancy housing development, kinda like North Oaks over here near St. Paul.

1980coupe
05-31-10, 03:56 AM
i know these special edition caddies as the bill blass edition. Saw one here locally in a JY and went back and the car was gone. i doubt if some bought the whole car or it got crushed as is for scrap.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
05-31-10, 10:13 AM
I've never seen a Bill Blass Cadillac. Lots of Bill Blass Lincolns though. There's a real nice Bill Blass '79 Mark V in my town.

Bro-Ham
05-31-10, 04:55 PM
Lincoln did Bill Blass editions - late 70's and early 80's. They were white and blue, and, I think I remember a white and red. Cadillac didn't have an official designer label - I'm pretty sure even the Gucci Seville of the late 70's was an aftermarket job. Cadillac created its own magic fancy names.

Chad, Northbriar Coupes were around during my youth. I bet someone in the local CLC remembers them or may even have one? :)

antoonio
07-07-11, 05:54 AM
Hey
So, i just got back my car and it looks now how it should be. Only little trick. Black is black but including red pearl.

Still on work

And almost done

MoistCabbage
07-07-11, 06:26 AM
PLEASE get some real Caddy hubcaps on there.

antoonio
07-07-11, 06:36 AM
I will, if i gonna get some hubs or alloy wheels :D

PRdeVille
07-07-11, 08:51 AM
Car looks great!!
Great job!