: Tried to order parts from dealer

junoreactor
05-27-10, 02:50 PM
So I called up two different dealers around me to order some parts to pick up locally. Both of them asked me for my VIN number and of course I'm at work in a different car and can't remember the VIN. Why do they need the number? Do they think I don't know what kind of car I'm driving? :mad2: I swear I never had to worry about that before when I ordered parts over the phone. Maybe a new policy :banghead:

heavymetals
05-27-10, 02:52 PM
Your vin # should be on your registration and your proof of insurance.

I have those in my wallet.

Don't know why you would need that for parts unless they are model specific parts like motor (LS6 or LS2).

cvettr/cts-v
05-27-10, 03:08 PM
I'm sure they ask so that they can be sure they get the right part. I look at that as great customer service not getting you a part that may work on only a portion of a model year as there are changes throughout the production year that may or may not affect the item you are looking for. If you get onstar reports e-mailed to your work or home for that matter log in and your vin is on each of those monthly reports.

PISNUOFF
05-27-10, 03:08 PM
1-703-647-8670

MAPerformance
05-27-10, 03:15 PM
Its for ease for them. It automatically brings up all parts that fit that vehicle. They can also use a keyword search ;)

c4ss
05-27-10, 03:26 PM
1-703-647-8670

:yeah:

You know you spend a lot of money through Luke when he's in your most called numbers list...

Baltimore07V
05-27-10, 03:38 PM

You know you spend a lot of money through Luke when he's in your most called numbers list...

I won't lie, its in my phone as well.

junoreactor
05-27-10, 03:47 PM
I never thought about the change in model throughout one year. However, keyword search would easily solve it. Every time I ordered in person I never was asked. Some times the guy stares at the part list with the pictures for ever even though I can see plain as day which part I'm looking for lol. I should walk in with a printed screen shot of that Let Me Google That For You website thing. :D

PISNUOFF
05-27-10, 03:47 PM

Especially when you start out the conversation with "Hey, it's me." and the response is "Hey Brian." :D

c4ss
05-30-10, 03:03 AM
:histeric:

That's pretty damn impressive. I'm sure you get a Christmas card as well.

rand49er
05-30-10, 08:53 AM
Especially when you start out the conversation with "Hey, it's me." and the response is "Hey Brian." :D:histeric:

There have been times when I've talked to Luke on a more regular basis and it was almost like this. He's called me a few times to drum up business from the last slot for V-Day I, T-shirts, motor mounts, etc ... and it worked just about every time, too.

BTW, his number is on my phone, as well. :D

CIWS
05-30-10, 09:52 AM
Its for ease for them. It automatically brings up all parts that fit that vehicle. They can also use a keyword search ;)

Also remember that most car owners are not car nutz. A parts guy asking folks questions about their vehicle without the VIN can end up getting incorrect answers or the ever so popular "I don't know"

maxspeed96ct
05-30-10, 05:06 PM
+ 1 for luke at lindsey, he got me the master shipped to my door 50$ cheaper then any local dealer I called.

His prices are the best, just mention you got his number from the cadi forum.:welcome: