: New owner of 99 Deville, avg. temp question

myfirstdeville
05-27-10, 12:27 PM
Just needed to know if my temps were normal or average for the 99 Deville. While driving in normal city traffic I tend to range between 206 to around 219. I have a 12 mile highway drive to work and it stays around 201-207, while sitting in a drive-thru I got up to 233 and thats when the nerves kicked in. In a 5 or 6 minutes it did go back down to around 215, I guess after the fans kicked in. So this morning I decided to let the car idle in park for about 35-40 mins. and the temp went up to 222 and then fell to 212. Then I drove it for about a mile and it went back down to 206. I guess my question is, is this normal, or where should my temps be?

arctic_man
05-27-10, 03:40 PM
Mine never fluctuates off of 12 o clock. But I believe normal is 200 to 236. Someone I am sure will come here and tell you when fans kick in at different temps and such. But if it is running fine I am sure that the temp readings you are getting are perfectly normal.

Submariner409
05-27-10, 03:44 PM
Your description of the gauge motion while driving and at idle is textbook perfect.

One hour ago I returned to the Shore from a run to DC and the lovely DC Beltway. Your description is a carbon copy of my 2002 Seville's behavior. Absolutely normal.

A/C ON, fans run in SLOW
No A/C, fans to SLOW at 224, FAST at about 236.
Normal

Go up to Seville and read the thread something like "My SLS almost overheated".

Don't get paranoid if that gauge moves: It's supposed to. If it goes to 3 o'clock you got problems - otherwise, enjoy the car.

Ranger
05-27-10, 11:40 PM
I agree, those temps (except for the 233) sound perfectly normal. My '97 had a digidash so I could watch the actual temps. I ran a consistent 205 (summer) to 215 (winter).

IXSLR8
05-30-10, 12:31 AM
Different context but same engine basically.

I have a 1996 northstar engine outside of the cadillac in a different car(Pontiac fiero). The normal operating temperature for me, when moving around town, is 200-205 degrees on a Mechanical gauge. When I idle for lengths of time(in traffic, or at a long stop light) it goes up to 220 degrees before the fan kicks in and then it drops back down to 200-205 degrees.

At highway speeds, it runs 197-200 degrees. I'm also not running a heater restrictor in the heater hose. I will put that in down the road.

Robertsong
06-01-10, 01:02 PM
Operating temp for me has been a long concern. Problem is I have a '94 Concours Deville with the digital dash, and no Temp Gauge. I have read so much about the head gasket issues, and now this thread on temp, and am wondering how difficult (read that how much!) would it be to install a gauge. I don't have coolant in the oil, I have not thrown a code for anything, let alone the engine in some time(about a year). I do have an oil leak. It has to be coming from the mid-level, because after driving for a while, I can smell oil burning I suppose from the engine block. Oil change regularly NTE 3 months. I live in a small town (Morro Bay, Ca.) so mileage does not build up, hence the 3 month oil change. When I do change its clean, and never more than a quart down. So all that is good, but it does have 101,000miles. Do I go for a Temp Gauge, or leave well enough alone? Thanks in advance for your help and advice

Ranger
06-01-10, 03:27 PM
Leave well enough alone. If it overheats, it will let you know. If you have a digidash, you should be able to display the coolant temperature somehow.

tateos
06-03-10, 07:31 PM
Operating temp for me has been a long concern. Problem is I have a '94 Concours Deville with the digital dash, and no Temp Gauge. I have read so much about the head gasket issues, and now this thread on temp, and am wondering how difficult (read that how much!) would it be to install a gauge. I don't have coolant in the oil, I have not thrown a code for anything, let alone the engine in some time(about a year). I do have an oil leak. It has to be coming from the mid-level, because after driving for a while, I can smell oil burning I suppose from the engine block. Oil change regularly NTE 3 months. I live in a small town (Morro Bay, Ca.) so mileage does not build up, hence the 3 month oil change. When I do change its clean, and never more than a quart down. So all that is good, but it does have 101,000miles. Do I go for a Temp Gauge, or leave well enough alone? Thanks in advance for your help and advice

Why change the oil so often? I suggest you follow the OLM, or 1 year max - maybe change it when it gets to 10%, if you want to be extra conservative/safe. Every 3 months seems like a waste of good oil.

GR1M
11-29-13, 02:46 AM
You can force your instrument panel cluster to think it's a SeVille and then it will show you your RPMs, your engine coolant temp, and your battery voltage. All you gotta do is enter your in-dash OBD by holding the Off and Warmer buttons on the heater/a.c. panel until you see a bunch of numbers all over the screen. Then release the buttons. It will begin to read you your diagnostic codes. When it's done showing you the codes, should bring you to the OBD menu it should say "PCM?". When it says that, scroll down using the down button on the fan speed until it says "IPC?" which stands for Instrument Panel Cluster. Press the up button on the fan speed to enter the IPC menu. Now press the down fan button until you get to IPC OVERRIDE and press the up fan button. Now scroll down with the down fan button until you see IS07 and a number value should appear to the left of there. Since you have a DeVille it SHOULD say 016 or 032. All you do now is add 32 to that value using the Warmer button. Each time you press the button the value will increase by one, so press the button 32 times. (Example: if your beginning value is 016, your ending value should be 032. This was the case with my car.) IT IS VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU GET THE CORRECT VALUE OR YOU WILL PERMANENTLY SCREW UP YOUR DASH! Now, to save the new values, hold the ECON and Windshield Defroster buttons until the numbers flash to tell you the values have been saved. Then just leave the OBD system and voila. Press the Information button to scroll through the items and your rpms, coolant temp, and battery voltage should now be there as well.

Ranger
11-29-13, 09:59 AM
:welcome:

You might want to check the thread date before posting a reply. This one is over 3 years old.

Submariner409
11-30-13, 11:24 AM
I think that was a "test post" - he was listed as "Awaiting email confirmation" and I found the post in moderation. It looked OK so I validated it and sent him a PM. Did not notice that he had dug up a dead thread. We'll see....... and no reply from the member, either.