: Opera Lamp Eye Candy ('92 Brougham d'elegance)

Cadillac_Fan
05-26-10, 11:06 PM
A few shots of functional opera lamps. One photo with illuminated entry- one without. These lamps are quite bright; yet my car is 90,000 miles young.

That said, I'm sure they'll quit before long, so I thought I'd better photograph them now while they both work!

The-Dullahan
05-27-10, 12:02 AM
And these are the ones between the doors?

when I first got my car I pondered if they were even supposed to light up. Should I discover the method for REMOVING them, I will certainly get mine lit.

Cadillac_Fan
05-27-10, 12:17 AM
You're correct - they are the lamps between the doors. Unfortunately, in true Cadillac fashion, they are highly technical and over-engineered...and destined to quit working long before they should.

In 1980, Cadillac abandoned conventional bulbs located in sail panel opera lamps on Fleetwood Broughams and replaced them (on the pillar between the doors) with strips of electroluminescent film powered by a 110-volt inverter, which was located in the trunk.

Interestingly, though, 1980s Devilles and Eldorados retained the standard 12-volt bulb opera lamps.

I wish Cadillac had kept it simple, as the electroluminescent strips most always burn out (especially if moisture seeps through them) and they are nearly impossible to replace. Some have appeared on eBay and sold for absurd prices.

There has been talk on the forum about LED fixes, which may work, but I wouldn't power them with the existing 110V harness!

MudAnt
05-27-10, 01:54 AM
Damn, I was hoping you had created a fix for this issue. Someday, someone will.

Aron9000
05-27-10, 03:18 AM
You're correct - they are the lamps between the doors. Unfortunately, in true Cadillac fashion, they are highly technical and over-engineered...and destined to quit working long before they should.

In 1980, Cadillac abandoned conventional bulbs located in sail panel opera lamps on Fleetwood Broughams and replaced them (on the pillar between the doors) with strips of electroluminescent film powered by a 110-volt inverter, which was located in the trunk.

Interestingly, though, 1980s Devilles and Eldorados retained the standard 12-volt bulb opera lamps.

I wish Cadillac had kept it simple, as the electroluminescent strips most always burn out (especially if moisture seeps through them) and they are nearly impossible to replace. Some have appeared on eBay and sold for absurd prices.

There has been talk on the forum about LED fixes, which may work, but I wouldn't power them with the existing 110V harness!

Did they use that same system on the 90-92 cars as well??? Mine still work fine, thank goodness.

mjs182004
05-27-10, 09:44 AM
You suck! J/K, Only my passenger side works. Looks good though! I had a spare that I gave to my brother in law in hope that he ca retrofit leds in it. Him and his dad are good fo figuring out stuff like that.

water walkin warrior
05-27-10, 10:30 AM
Wow, so that's what they're supposed to do and look like. Thanks for sharing.

outsider
05-27-10, 10:38 AM
I have a question...when are the opera lights supposed to be on? any time your lights are on or?

Benzilla
05-27-10, 10:52 AM
Yup, headlights or parking lights.

outsider
05-27-10, 10:54 AM
Cool. I might look into retrofitting mine with some LEDs or something this summer. :)

If I do, I'll keep you all updated.

Ian6
05-27-10, 04:52 PM
awesome, I never knew they really lit up. I always thought they looked like they were suppose to but I've never seen them lit. Id love to fix em

brougham
05-27-10, 08:10 PM
Both of mine work. Well only one side lights up but both lamps work. Gave up trying to find the problem.

Sheradan
05-29-10, 12:13 PM
I have one that's out, so where do I start in tracking down the problem?

tbcaddy18
05-29-10, 03:51 PM
Same here, my drivers side is out, but the passenger side works :ill:

Does anyone have a picture of what the amp looks like in the trunk?..i couldnt find it when I tried looking

robb257731
05-31-10, 08:57 AM
Mine work fine in the 1991, and the ones in the 92 worked as well.

brianscott2
08-27-10, 09:51 AM
Both of mine work but the one on the passenger side is very very dim...almost invisible unless you are in pitch black darknss...it is apparently in the process of "burning out" completely...I apparently just need a replacement "bulb" ...........if anyone has one available please let me know. Are the left and right "bulbs" interchangeable?

The-Dullahan
08-29-10, 01:11 AM
They do not use Bulbs, they use electroluminescent strips that are not removable without cutting into the lamp. They are not MEANT to be changed and this is the problem. Cadillac liked the electroluminescent tape idea, because it provided a clean, even glow, but the problem is that electroluminescent tape does not stand up to ultraviolet light remarkably well and thusly, sunlight has killed them on around 95% of cars that had them in that style. the remaining 5% are not dead YET, but most are, like you stated, fading horribly. I am currently experimenting with different techniques to alter their makeup and produce nice, functional Opera Lamps, but having a spare set to work with would really help and Junkyards around here do not have Broughams, or any vintage Cadillacs, for that matter.

brougham
08-29-10, 05:03 PM
Both of mine work but the one on the passenger side is very very dim...almost invisible unless you are in pitch black darknss...it is apparently in the process of "burning out" completely...I apparently just need a replacement "bulb" ...........if anyone has one available please let me know. Are the left and right "bulbs" interchangeable?

No. They plug in if you want to try one side on the other but the lamps themselves are different shapes from eachother and wont fit on the wrong side.