: Problem need some help

fazz1225
05-26-10, 06:36 PM
My 06 V usually runs about 165 and 180-190 in above 80 degree weather. The last few days in NY have been 90s and car is still at 190 but when I shut it off and start again it pops, farts,shakes and misses. If I let it idle after a minute or so it clears out. However today it did that than popped and farted while driving, check engine light flashing. WTF please give some input. Thank You:(

darkman
05-26-10, 06:40 PM
The first step is to identify the diagnostic trouble code (DTC) that caused the check engine light. The DTC will indicate the nature of the problem. If you do not have a scanner try Autozone or other auto parts store - they will often loan you a scanner long enough to get the DTC.

fazz1225
05-26-10, 06:52 PM
Even if the check engine light is not on? It was just flashing.

ctsv154
05-26-10, 07:01 PM
Flashing generally means a miss fire and it should still be saved in the computers memory.

darkman
05-26-10, 07:03 PM
It still may have a code. In rereading your symptoms it sounds like the engine stumbling associated with a bad motor mount. Does this only happen at shut down?

fazz1225
05-26-10, 07:33 PM
No it only happens when outside temp is above 85 and usually clears out within a couple minutes, but today it was intermittent while driving. Also had some smoke and burning smell from engine passenger side

Stepside
05-26-10, 09:15 PM
Since it's misfiring, pull your spark plugs and see if they are all OK.
Back in the carburetor days, on a hot day, when a car is shut down, the heat rise in the manifold would 'sometimes' expand the fuel in the float bowl and it would go down into the intake manifold. That would cause a hard start due to a rich mixture. After a moment, it would clear itself.
Do you have winter gasoline in the tank or summer gasoline?
The 'heat of vaporization' is different.

darkman
05-26-10, 09:47 PM
The best approach would be some diagnostic scanning to eliminate some of the possibilities. Throwing parts at it could get unnecessarily expensive. It could, for example, be a leaky fuel injector flowing fuel when it is not supposed to, but it also could be defective coil, wire, or spark plug.

fazz1225
05-30-10, 09:24 AM
Thanks for all the input, turns out cat on pass side was bad, looks like I need headers, exhaust, motor mounts, and clutch while im in there...lol Any suggestions on cheap vendors. I know I will order MM and trans mount from creative steel. I want to do Kooks headers and Magnaflow. I have a LS7 clutch and pressure plate, just need a ls7 flywheel. Any ideas. Thanks Guys