: Anti-Lock Wheel Sensor Removal

scurling
05-26-10, 01:03 AM
Does anyone know how to remove the anti-lock wheel sensor on the spindle assembly without damaging the sensor? I am replacing the upper and lower ball joints and would like to remove it to prevent any damage during the process. I know the part about 6 years ago was around $85.00. I want to avoid that expense.

I took a few picture to help identify the part. There is a small brass machine screw on the back side, but it doesn't seem to hold it in place. I have not tried much pressure for fear of damaging the sensor.

thanks.

csbuckn
05-26-10, 01:37 AM
I think you got it right, may have to spray it with some penetrating stuff.

jayoldschool
05-26-10, 11:56 AM
They are next to impossible to remove in one piece. I don't think I have ever heard of someone getting one out without smashing it. They sort of weld themselves to the spindle...

mjs182004
05-26-10, 02:31 PM
ahhh, I just did this on mine. i eventually broke them and they are not cheap to replace. what I did was use a small deep well socket over the end and pound it out with a hammer.

scurling
05-27-10, 01:07 AM
Thanks I think I'll do my best to protect the sensor, and leave it installed.

mjs182004
05-27-10, 10:36 AM
I just thought of this, you can trace the wire up into the engine bay and unplug it. It has a white connector. Then remove the brackets that hold it to the frame of the car.

scurling
05-27-10, 01:39 PM
MJS:

Yes, good idea. I did remove the first two hold down brackets up the cable from the wheel assembly. They are attached to the frame rail. It allows me to tape the cable out of the way while I bang away at the ball joints.

mjs182004
05-28-10, 11:42 AM
Glad I could help!