: Ac delco pf61e oil filter

postman2000
05-25-10, 10:01 PM
Hello all..does anyone know if it is ok to use these ac delco pf61e oil filters instead of the pf61 that the book calls for? I found it for $3.00 at walmart so i figured i would pick it up. I am thinking it would not be a problem but i figured i would get some input on the subject.. Thank you all..... Charlie

Submariner409
05-25-10, 10:19 PM
I believe the PF-61 (and maybe its successors) does not have an anti-drainback valve. The top of the filter on a Northstar is at or above the oil level in the pan. I would NEVER use such a filter. Penny wise, pound foolish...... look at a WIX 51522. For an extra $4.50 you're gonna risk a dry bearing start ???

postman2000
05-25-10, 11:18 PM
hey sub, thanks for the reply.. i was wondering though, didnt these cars come with an ac delco filter from the factory? also do you know if stp, puralator or fram have an anti drain back valve.. again thanks for your information... charlie

postman2000
05-25-10, 11:24 PM
Hey, i just was on the ac delco tech connect site. They said this filter the new pf61e does indeed have an anti drainback valve.

Submariner409
05-26-10, 09:38 AM
Then you're good to go !! Not sure where AC now sources their filters, but they're decent quality and, of course, being OEM, won't cause any warranty issues.

I got the PF-61 info from some filter site - there are so many - fun reading, though.

............just surfed through a few more filter sites, and the jury is still out as to whether the 61 does or does not have an anti-drainback valve.

Google "pf 61 acdelco filter" for a day of enjoyment.............

(The can on a WIX 51522 is about 4.5" tall (same as PF-61) and it definitely has an anti-drainback valve - I just looked.)

Ranger
05-26-10, 10:56 AM
hey sub, thanks for the reply.. i was wondering though, didnt these cars come with an ac delco filter from the factory? also do you know if stp, puralator or fram have an anti drain back valve.. again thanks for your information... charlie
:tisk: Stay away from Fram oil filters.

STSS
05-26-10, 11:36 AM
:yeah:

postman2000
05-26-10, 10:17 PM
Whats the deal with the fram filters? Are they lacking the anti drainback valve? Im actually learning alot here about this subject. I always thought that all oil filters were pretty much the same. And fram happens to be on the expensive side compared to to the likes of puralator, stp and ac delco. how is stp? I have heard people say that they thought ac delco and stp were made by the same company.. Not sure whats going on anymore....

Ranger
05-26-10, 10:36 PM
Don't know much about STP, but Fram filters are pretty cheap. There is a site somewhere where the guy did his own study and actually took them apart. Sub probably knows of it and may even have the link. Fram did not fare very well AND has always had a bad reputation. I would not use one if they where free.

Submariner409
05-27-10, 07:26 AM
http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/index.html

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilters/opinions.html

irate
10-27-11, 05:08 PM
I know this is an old post but I just wanted to make it crystal clear that ac delco pf61e filters are indeed OK to use because they do have anti drain back valves. Here is a link to a pdf from ac delco introducing their new "E" filter. I was just reading this post and it's kinda hard to tell if they have them or not according to the post, here's a definite answer.

http://www.acdelcotechconnect.com/pdf/imtn_V16I609.pdf

Also I think it's gunna be kinda hard to find the non "E" filters (PF61) since apparently the PF61E is an upgraded filter replacing the old PF61.

i

Ranger
10-27-11, 09:49 PM
I don't know if the pre-"E" filters had an anti-drain back valve or not, but I've never had or heard of a problem with them. Stop and think about it. The filter is mounted in a vertical position. How can the oil possibly drain out of it? :hmm:

maeng9981
11-02-11, 02:50 AM
Have used both PF61 and PF61E, and currently running PF61E for both of my Northstars. Never had any problem.

cadillac 17
11-16-11, 10:34 PM
i always had the dealer do my oil changes until this year. i installed a k&n filter with pennzoil ultra and the bottom of the filter was wet with oil, then i had a lube place install 5w30 royal purple plus the royal purple filter and it leaked the same way. so this time i went to wal mart, bought a ac pf61e filter and conventional pennzoil 5w30 oil and after two months , no leak. don't use nothing but ac oil filters. i learned my lesson after losing over $150

Submariner409
11-16-11, 10:39 PM
The WIX 51522 is an excellent alternative to the Delco. K&N merely specifies a welded nut on the bottom of a Champion Industries generic oil filter, then repackages them. Their products are very well advertised and marketed..................caveat emptor.

Post #10.