: After 2 years of ownership....

firstimecaddi
05-25-10, 08:43 PM
....my 95FWB has developed its first issue. The radiator cracked along the plastic end piece on the driver side. The crack is about halfway down the length of the radiator. So considering the amount of work to be done for the RR process, I decided to do a "tune up." So in addition to the radiator RR, I am doing plugs and wires, air filter, transmission drain/refill with new filter, filter seal and pan gasket. Also, will clean throttle body. And conveniently the oil needs to be changed.

Progress is slow, in between working full time, college part time and whatever else life brings. I have removed the old radiator, and drained the transmission so far. The plugs and wires looks to be the most time consuming, I can't believe the location especially to the Opti Sp.

Questions:
How do I get the transmission filter seal out?
What else can I do while I'm at it?

HUF
05-25-10, 09:09 PM
....my 95FWB has developed its first issue. The radiator cracked along the plastic end piece on the driver side. The crack is about halfway down the length of the radiator. So considering the amount of work to be done for the RR process, I decided to do a "tune up." So in addition to the radiator RR, I am doing plugs and wires, air filter, transmission drain/refill with new filter, filter seal and pan gasket. Also, will clean throttle body. And conveniently the oil needs to be changed.

Progress is slow, in between working full time, college part time and whatever else life brings. I have removed the old radiator, and drained the transmission so far. The plugs and wires looks to be the most time consuming, I can't believe the location especially to the Opti Sp.

Questions:
Funny, I just ordered a radiator inlet tank to replace it. I was told in 99% it is only the inlet tank that develops cracks. I encourage everybody with plastic side tanks take a flashlight and check the upper four ribs on the outer side of the tank. If you see cracks replace either the tank or whole radiator. Do ot wait until it starts leaking. I have replaced the both tanks (though only inlet was cracked) on my 1991 Seville. Time-consuming but doable.

HUF
05-25-10, 09:12 PM

Questions:
By the way, because your transmission cooler lines will be disconnected anyway, it is a good time to get rid of ALL ATF by running the engine in Park and letting the transmission to pump out ALL old ATF. You will notice when to turn the engine off. Done that a couple of times.

firstimecaddi
05-25-10, 09:26 PM
ok did not know that about trans. But what about the filter seal? it did not come off with the filter

HUF
05-25-10, 09:27 PM
ok did not know that about trans. But what about the filter seal? it did not come off with the filterSure, you can drop the pan, clean it up and replace th efilter after you pump out ATF. If you just drop the pan you will never get all ATF out.

csbuckn
05-25-10, 09:37 PM
cant you just stick your finger in there to reach the o-ring?

firstimecaddi
05-25-10, 10:02 PM
tried that not feel anything. but one came in the filter kit.

csbuckn
05-25-10, 10:18 PM
Yea, you should have one. You may have to take a flashlight and look up in there, or lightly take a screwdriver or something long enough

outsider
05-26-10, 07:36 AM
might as well do the fuel filter while you're down there

firstimecaddi
05-26-10, 09:02 AM
yup, wil do.

firstimecaddi
05-26-10, 03:53 PM
so Just start the car and let the trans fluid drain out?....am I correct?

HUF
05-26-10, 10:36 PM
so Just start the car and let the trans fluid drain out?....am I correct?

Yes, start it in park and let the tranny pump it out. I do not remember which hose is inlet, so watch the both to avoid a mess. Even better buy a few feet of heater hose 3/4 diameter and extend the both lines into a bucket.

I have benn working on my cooling system all the day. Did not finish since did not have a correct socket for knock sensors which are plugs for draining the block.

firstimecaddi
05-27-10, 07:19 PM
^^^^did that but the flow was not very heavy. let it run for a few minutes, but not much was happening so I shut it down.

I still can't get that filter seal out.....any ideas?

outsider
05-27-10, 07:28 PM
Are you sure the seal didn't fall out already? Can you see it with a flashlight? You should be able to reach up there and grab it if it's in there.

firstimecaddi
05-27-10, 07:52 PM
yeah I can see it. tried prying with a screw driver but no go.

HUF
05-27-10, 08:32 PM
^^^^did that but the flow was not very heavy. let it run for a few minutes, but not much was happening so I shut it down.

I still can't get that filter seal out.....any ideas?
That is strange. Did it a couple of times on my 91 Seville, and the rtanny would pump it out in less than a minute.