: Is $600 30,000 miles 30k service a rip off?

petercoolz
05-25-10, 12:50 PM
My deal just gave me a quote of $600 for a 30k service. They've really been pushing it, so I wanted to see what everybody here thought. Here's what you get below. Any thoughts on whether its worth it? Escalade is still under warranty. Thanks!

Oils and filter change
Add BG MOA oil supplement
Inspect front and rear brakes for wear
Inspect suspension and front end components
Check all belts, hoses and fluids
Check coolant protection
Perform BG fuel induction service; add fuel system cleaner
Replace air filter
Replace fuel filter
Replace PCV valve
Perform 4 wheel road form balance of most tires
Clean and adjust rear brakes as required
Perform multi-point safety inspection
Perform complete suspension and chassis lubrication
Perform complimentary exterior wash & vacuum
Replace front wiper blades

Merc
05-25-10, 01:28 PM
I think it is! It would be great if they also changed both front and rear brake pads.

To put things in perspective:
The dealer for my mercedes charges approximately $200 for service A (this includes oil change, oil filter, rotation of the tires, air filters for the cabin and the engine, wipers, etc...) and $350 for service B (includes everything that service A gets, but the lub the chasis and perform "inspections" etc...

PreachRR
05-25-10, 04:37 PM
I thought there was also mention of fluid changes in drive line?

bg1811
05-25-10, 05:34 PM
I just had a 30,000 mile service. I didn't need an oil change, but, I did have the front and rear differential serviced with new oil. The price was $576.84, including 6% sales tax.

buckeyefan007
05-25-10, 05:41 PM
Is that the only dealer in your area? Shop around some if your able you may be surprised at the difference in price between dealers.

I know on my A service for my Acura TL my local dealer wanted $595, another dealer closer to my work place wanted $395 for the exact same service so believe me it does pay to shop around.

If you do not have any other dealers around take it to a local shop and give them the list you want done and get a quote. I can almost guarentee you will get a better price there.

nikon
05-25-10, 10:35 PM
My deal just gave me a quote of $600 for a 30k service. They've really been pushing it, so I wanted to see what everybody here thought. Here's what you get below. Any thoughts on whether its worth it? Escalade is still under warranty. Thanks!

Oils and filter change - 40-50$ worth of oil (do it yourself)
Add BG MOA oil supplement - $5 at an auto parts store
Inspect front and rear brakes for wear - take a look at your brakes
Inspect suspension and front end components - pulling, vibrations? then don't worry about it.
Check all belts, hoses and fluids - pop the hood and take a look
Check coolant protection - what?
Perform BG fuel induction service; add fuel system cleaner - $10 at autoparts store
Replace air filter ~20$
Replace fuel filter ~15
Replace PCV valve - pretty sure you don't have one.
Perform 4 wheel road form balance of most tires - no vibration no need to balance.
Clean and adjust rear brakes as required - no adjustment on disc brakes
Perform multi-point safety inspection - take a look at the car.
Perform complete suspension and chassis lubrication - doubt you have any grease zerks
Perform complimentary exterior wash & vacuum - run it through an auto wash.
Replace front wiper blades - ~40$ for bosch from auto parts store.

Sounds like a great deal for the dealer.....just another way for them to make money....all of these things can be done for what ~150$ and a couple hours in your driveway.

trashguy
05-25-10, 11:30 PM
I thought there was no fuel filter in these trucks? Or that it was not serviceable because it
inside the fuel tank. Btw my dealer was pushing the same thing but cleaning the throttle
body was also listed.

petercoolz
05-26-10, 12:08 AM
Sounds like a great deal for the dealer.....just another way for them to make money....all of these things can be done for what ~150$ and a couple hours in your driveway.

Thanks for the step by step breakdown. Very helpful!

I got an oil change for $20. You're right that I don't need most of the other stuff. I'm just going to get these things done, and I'll save myself $550+!

# Perform BG fuel induction service; add fuel system cleaner - $10 at autoparts store
# Replace air filter ~20$
# Replace fuel filter ~15

Having never replaced an air or fuel filter, is that an easy thing to do? And for the fuel system cleaner, what would you recommend?

buckeyefan007
05-26-10, 12:49 AM
Replacing an air filter is very simple, anyone can do it, should take 15 minutes tops. Not sure on the fuel filter, though. Also check the fluid in the front and rear diffs just to be safe. And for warranty purposes make sure to keep all your paper work just incase.

FWIW most service techs may seem like they are acting in your best interest, but, they get a percentage of what service they sell you. I had an older Acura and took it in one time for a temperature control knob problem. They fixed it, but suggested I need to replace the left drive shaft, a tie rod , wipers, and a few light bulbs that had burned out. They wanted over $550 to do it. I left there and went straight to my mechanic and gave him the list they gave me. He fixed it all for less than $300.

hcvone
05-26-10, 07:39 AM

Oils and filter change
Check coolant protection
Replace air filter
Replace fuel filter
Replace PCV valve

As said several times you can get these things you have listed done for much less. Road force balancing is the best, that will cost you $75.00 to $150.00 depending on the shop. The brake adjustment is probably for the parking brake. :)

PreachRR
05-26-10, 08:51 AM
Thanks for the step by step breakdown. Very helpful!

I got an oil change for $20. You're right that I don't need most of the other stuff. I'm just going to get these things done, and I'll save myself $550+!

# Perform BG fuel induction service; add fuel system cleaner - $10 at autoparts store
# Replace air filter ~20$
# Replace fuel filter ~15

Having never replaced an air or fuel filter, is that an easy thing to do? And for the fuel system cleaner, what would you recommend?

Air filter is a 10 min job but the fuel filter can be a pain may require a special tool to remove..

Tec80
05-26-10, 10:28 PM
Yes, it is a total ripoff. There is no fuel filter on GMT-900 Escalade, except on the 4.5L Duramax version. And since that version is but a distant, fond memory (imagine getting 27MPG in an AWD ESV with an extra 200ft.-lbf. of torque to play with), there is no filter to replace.

There are only a couple grease points, 2 minutes max to hit all of them once it's on the lift.

Although the wiper blades are like $40/pair...

AWF_AXIS
05-27-10, 08:14 PM
Sounds like a deal to me! My dealer wants $1,200 for the 30k service.

North49
05-28-10, 01:14 AM
Yes, it is a total ripoff. There is no fuel filter on GMT-900 Escalade, except on the 4.5L Duramax version. And since that version is but a distant, fond memory (imagine getting 27MPG in an AWD ESV with an extra 200ft.-lbf. of torque to play with), there is no filter to replace.

There are only a couple grease points, 2 minutes max to hit all of them once it's on the lift.

Although the wiper blades are like $40/pair...

That would be nice but the smell of diesel puts me off enough to stay with the Gas.

Thanks for the info on the fuel filter. :D Saves me some time drilling down through the menus at the parts suppliers or Compnine. :banghead:

Aron9000
05-28-10, 01:51 AM
That would be nice but the smell of diesel puts me off enough to stay with the Gas.

Thanks for the info on the fuel filter. :D Saves me some time drilling down through the menus at the parts suppliers or Compnine. :banghead:

You would be amazed at some of the new diesels from VW, Benz, the new Duramax in heavy duty trucks, the Dodge Ram with the Cummins, etc. None of them stink, they all idle smooth, they are quiet(can still tell on the big trucks, but the Benz ones are really nice), and all make stupid amounts of torque for their application. Plus you get 20-40% better mileage. The Jetta TDI is especially cool, you get 35-40mpg

Tec80
05-28-10, 02:58 PM
Jetta TDI=Oh, yeah. I have one & average 40MPG city and 45 highway. 236lbf.-ft of torque at 1750RPM
The exhaust is cleaner than a gasoline engine, you can wipe the inside of the tailpipe and not get anything on your fingers. You cannot smell anything. In a city like LA the tailpipe exhaust is literally cleaner than the ambient air. Even the ULSD fuel is much less stinky, and it's a cool blue-green color. Soon all Diesel engines will be this clean, even in large construction equipment.

GM ruined the reputation of Diesel engines back in the late 70s/early 80s and acceptance of Diesel engines in the USA has been an uphill battle ever since. Only a small minority know what they are like now...and that they make far more sense than hybrids. In Europe, over 50% of new car sales are Diesels, and that share is growing every year. Go test-drive a BMW 335d to get a sneak preview of what we could see here soon.

>You would be amazed at some of the new diesels from VW, Benz, the new Duramax in heavy duty trucks, the Dodge Ram with the Cummins, etc. None of them stink, they all idle smooth, they are quiet(can still tell on the big trucks, but the Benz ones are really nice), and all make stupid amounts of torque for their application. Plus you get 20-40% better mileage. The Jetta TDI is especially cool, you get 35-40mpg

arctic_man
06-15-10, 09:56 PM

Oils and filter change
Check coolant protection
Replace air filter
Replace fuel filter
Replace PCV valve

Besides the couple of replacements that I would do myself... like the wiper blades.. (who would pay a dealer to do that?) a lot of that stuff is what a dealer does anyway... Most of the places I have gone to get an oil change top off my fluids, check everything... grease everything... provide a complimentary wash and vacuum (if they aren't super busy)

So really you're looking at paying 600 for:
Perform 4 wheel road form balance of most tires (not sure what this is)
Oils and filter change
Replace fuel filter
Replace PCV valve
Replace air filter

So I guess at a dealer price it would come close. Did they itemize the services? I would like to see how much a safety inspection is since most places do it for free.

tylerZ06
07-07-10, 02:04 PM
i run a auto shop and that is a little high.. the BG stuff you can not get at the "auto parts store" the stuff you buy there is not the same and wouldnt even waste my money for that stuff... The BG is good stuff and if you do the services prior to 36k you get a extended warranty from BG
1. BG fuel injection $149 it does 3 parts, 1.they disconect the fuel pump and run off the cleaner. 2nd goes off the intake and 3rd goes in the tank and it actually works. We do all the fluids for $399 (coolant, trans, brake. power steering, oil flush with oil change) and rear diff for $99.. rear brake is disc (no adjustment) -parking brake (no adjustment) just use it and it will self adjust... the other stuff they are charging for should be performed for free..

Braknglases07
07-13-10, 07:40 PM
There is no fuel filter on the escalades! Well there is one its IN THE TANK, they do not drop the tank and replaces it dealerships are the biggest scam ever. I did my front diff transfer case and read diff with mobil one and it was 60 bucks for all the fluid, oil change 40 with 6 qts mobil one and mobil one filter

the blur
10-26-14, 11:39 PM
What does the owners manual say ??? What is really required ??
My dumb Dodge dealer created a 20,000 mile service, and I told him, it's not in the owners manual !!! So stop the sales pitch!!

Punmax
10-27-14, 03:50 AM
Just get your normal oil change and GTFO. Take a look at your owner's manual to see what is actually required.

2kflhr
10-27-14, 10:50 PM
And for the fuel system cleaner, what would you recommend? IMO, and from a dealer that sounds about right. Not reasonable, but what is to be expected. If they changes "the fluids" including the diff's that makes it more reasonable. As I understand it the pour in fuel injection cleaner lightly cleanses the injectors. While the pressurized fuel induction and throttle body service removes carbon build up from the injectors, valves and combustion chamber.

dsminva
10-30-14, 10:35 AM
Considering the fuel filter is on the pump, in the tank, and the tank has to be drained and dropped to replace the filter - then $600 is a good price.

If it were me and I wanted to see how honest my dealership was, I would mark the bolts/nuts on the straps of the gas tank, and the position of the hose clamps and take it in and say have at it. If they charged me for replacing the fuel filter and I can see they clearly didn't I would have their ass in a sling.

Otherwise, as everyone else pointed out - ripoff.

the blur
10-30-14, 10:38 AM
Considering the fuel filter is on the pump, in the tank, and the tank has to be drained and dropped to replace the filter - then $600 is a good price.

If it were me and I wanted to see how honest my dealership was, I would mark the bolts/nuts on the straps of the gas tank, and the position of the hose clamps and take it in and say have at it. If they charged me for replacing the fuel filter and I can see they clearly didn't I would have their ass in a sling.

Otherwise, as everyone else pointed out - ripoff.

That's ridiculous to even think like that. The in-tank strainer is rated for the life of the vehicle or life of the pump. There is no maintenance required like the external fuel filters located in the fuel line.

dsminva
10-30-14, 10:39 AM
Jetta TDI=Oh, yeah. I have one & average 40MPG city and 45 highway. 236lbf.-ft of torque at 1750RPM
The exhaust is cleaner than a gasoline engine, you can wipe the inside of the tailpipe and not get anything on your fingers. You cannot smell anything. In a city like LA the tailpipe exhaust is literally cleaner than the ambient air. Even the ULSD fuel is much less stinky, and it's a cool blue-green color. Soon all Diesel engines will be this clean, even in large construction equipment.

GM ruined the reputation of Diesel engines back in the late 70s/early 80s and acceptance of Diesel engines in the USA has been an uphill battle ever since. Only a small minority know what they are like now...and that they make far more sense than hybrids. In Europe, over 50% of new car sales are Diesels, and that share is growing every year. Go test-drive a BMW 335d to get a sneak preview of what we could see here soon.

>You would be amazed at some of the new diesels from VW, Benz, the new Duramax in heavy duty trucks, the Dodge Ram with the Cummins, etc. None of them stink, they all idle smooth, they are quiet(can still tell on the big trucks, but the Benz ones are really nice), and all make stupid amounts of torque for their application. Plus you get 20-40% better mileage. The Jetta TDI is especially cool, you get 35-40mpg

I just sold my GTO and my next DD is more than likely going to be a TDI Passat or Jetta. My buddy has an 11 335d and got me hooked. Peppy little suckers.

----------
TheBlur -
The point is to see how honest your dealership is. To drop a tank and replace filter or pump - yeah I can see that being a $600 job.
Obviously if they don't do it, they can't legally charge you for it.

Punmax
10-30-14, 05:41 PM
I just sold my GTO and my next DD is more than likely going to be a TDI Passat or Jetta. My buddy has an 11 335d and got me hooked. Peppy little suckers.

----------
TheBlur -
The point is to see how honest your dealership is. To drop a tank and replace filter or pump - yeah I can see that being a $600 job.
Obviously if they don't do it, they can't legally charge you for it.

We just bought a brand new '14 Jetta TDI fully loaded. Although the fuel mileage is great, the car is made extremely cheap and doesn't even have standard features such as automatic headlights that come on $15,000 Kia.

2kflhr
10-30-14, 10:56 PM
I just sold my GTO and my next DD is more than likely going to be a TDI Passat or Jetta. My buddy has an 11 335d and got me hooked. Peppy little suckers. They are sharp looking but I understand they need to improve vastly on their wiring as there are many inherent wiring issues with VW's.

dsminva
10-31-14, 03:36 PM
They are sharp looking but I understand they need to improve vastly on their wiring as there are many inherent wiring issues with VW's.

You are the 3rd person to tell me this in 2 days. I'm a prior electronics technician for the Navy, and a current network engineer. If all I have to worry about is wiring, i'll be golden ;)

However I might have changed gears - I'm trying to find a mid 90's Suzuki Sidekick / Geo Tracker. They sit higher like an SUV, have a convertible top like a Jeep, can tow a jetski, and get 30mpg. So far I see no cons. My goal is a cheap daily beater under $5k and these can be had for under $3k. They are however a bit hard to find in my area. The cost between 30mpg on gas, and 45mpg on diesel are about equal when you factor the higher cost of diesel.

2kflhr
10-31-14, 11:07 PM
You are the 3rd person to tell me this in 2 days. I'm a prior electronics technician for the Navy, and a current network engineer. If all I have to worry about is wiring, i'll be golden ;)

Sorry I should have been more specific. It's the wiring and the associated electronics. A lot of VW components are considered "proprietary" and only VW are permitted to service them. I see you may be heading a different direction and choosing another make but I know a lot about auto repair myself but I still wouldn't buy something that is prone for problems.