: Used V Buyers Guide?

explorkid
05-24-10, 10:06 PM
First post. Looking at a 04 V with 75K on the clock. Looked under the DIY/FAQ but didnt see anything on what to look for when buying a used V. Anything in particular I should look for? Recalls? Updates?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

ELES6CTS
05-25-10, 01:29 AM
The forum is a wealth of knowledge. The key things to check is the diff, motor mounts, and tranny mount. There is a thread which has a picture of the newer and older diff. That will help narrow down if it has had a change. You will probably notice some clunk in the driveline and this is pretty normal on these cars. The problem with the car not wanting to go into 1st or R also seems to be a common issue, but usually a clutch fluid bleed and new shifter fix this. Brian, PISNUFF, came out with his own shifter that he sells with UUC bushings or without. I would say this a must do mod. It works so much better than stock.

rand49er
05-25-10, 09:00 AM
That '04 you're looking at is probably covered under the pinion seal recall and should have been replaced. I'd definitely run the VIN to see what diff it has and anything else that might show up.

Other than the usual visual stuff (including NAV buttons) and especially the diff, check to see that the motor mounts aren't leaking, and at that mileage I'd take careful note of the clutch.

With reports of up to 213k miles on 1st Gen CTS-Vs without major issues, at 75k you'd be getting a car that should give you many years of driving pleasure. Good luck!