: Allshocks.com said blisteins will not fit on my car in front. Is this true?

durrk johnson
05-24-10, 06:42 PM
"I can confirm that these shocks will not work on your car. The 1996 Cadillac Fleetwoods had a self leveling suspension system that these shocks will not work properly with. Please confirm that you would like us to cancel this order."

What the hells up with that? Is this true?

I ordered these HD shocks for the front...

http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/html/show_shocks.asp?make=%27BUICK%27&model=%27Full%20Size:%20Electra,%20Le%20Sabre,%20R oadmaster%27&year=%271996%27

He asked if I want to cancel my order. Are they wrong? And did I order the right parts?

96Fleetwood
05-24-10, 07:22 PM
They will work in the front with no issues.

The rear has the self leveling suspension. I took it out of my '96 and replaced them with these rear bilsteins paired with 9C1 Caprice springs. So bottom line is you have to get rid of the rear air suspension to use the rear Bilsteins.

http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa306/96fleetwood/IMG_9519.jpg

durrk johnson
05-24-10, 07:38 PM
hey thanks alot!

Your car is what made me buy my car mannn, well, that, and my 80cdv burnt up.. ha

Did you look at the part number I ordered in that link? Is it correct for my car?

Thanks buddy!! :thumbsup:

96Fleetwood
05-24-10, 08:23 PM
hey thanks alot!

Your car is what made me buy my car mannn, well, that, and my 80cdv burnt up.. ha

Did you look at the part number I ordered in that link? Is it correct for my car?

Thanks buddy!! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

Did you get the 1516 or 1104? You should get 1516 if you are not lowering it.

durrk johnson
05-24-10, 08:31 PM
I got the 1516. Thats correct?

96Fleetwood
05-24-10, 08:54 PM
I got the 1516. Thats correct?

Yep! :thumbsup:

durrk johnson
05-25-10, 10:20 AM
Now, This is the response I just got from Allshocks.com

"Sharon,

Because of how different these shocks are than the stock shocks, and how much stiffer they are than the self leveling shocks, though they may physically fit, Bilstein does not recommend using them on those cars. If you would like, we can sell them to you, but because they are not an approved application by Bilstein, there would be no warranty on them, and we can not guarantee fitment or that they will work properly.

I did double check with Bilstein prior to sending the email below, and they very strongly discouraged using these shocks on your car."

Now, what do I do? Just cancel the order and get different shocks?

outsider
05-25-10, 10:36 AM
Your name is Sharon? :D

Also, they are just saying that they are not OEM style shocks so they can't guarantee that you'll like them as much as the stock shocks. You can still use them.

durrk johnson
05-25-10, 10:38 AM
Your name is Sharon? :D

Also, they are just saying that they are not OEM style shocks so they can't guarantee that you'll like them as much as the stock shocks. You can still use them.

Well, they are saying that I will have no waraantee if I buy them from them.

And no, my names not sharon. haha thats my moms name. haha

Ugh this guy made me not want the damn shocks anymore...

Would I just be better off going for different shocks in the front?

durrk johnson
05-25-10, 11:09 AM
And are they really that much stiffer? LIke if I added them with my monroe max-air... Would I be able to tell how stiff they are? I mean I bought them because bilsteins say they are "superior comfort & handling." And I would really lke that for my car instead of some wack ass sensa-tracks. I heard those shocks are super bouncy.

durrk johnson
05-25-10, 12:05 PM
Ok guys, I just told them to send the shocks, he told me they would not work well with my Monroe Max-Air in the back... Is this true?

Am I going to have any problems by using the blisteins in the front?

Now this guys has got me worried, and I dont want the bilsteins to come and me not be able to use them or be unhappy about the ride... Should I have just went with some regular ac delcos, or monroes? ahhh shit. im ****ed.

outsider
05-25-10, 12:34 PM
Sorry man, I have no experience with them but lots of people use them on their caddy so it can't be THAT bad...can it?

96Fleetwood
05-25-10, 12:48 PM
And are they really that much stiffer? LIke if I added them with my monroe max-air... Would I be able to tell how stiff they are? I mean I bought them because bilsteins say they are "superior comfort & handling." And I would really lke that for my car instead of some wack ass sensa-tracks. I heard those shocks are super bouncy.

The HDs will stiffen up the front... it will not be a floaty ride like the AC Delco or Monroe Sensatracs would give you. I don't think you will have an issue mixing the Bilsteins in the front w/ air in the back...

jayoldschool
05-25-10, 04:12 PM
I think we have given just about all the opinions and possibilities out there in the other thread ;)

durrk johnson
05-25-10, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I know Jay, Sorry for the posts... just trying to figure out what I should do.... Stressing about alot of stuff at the moment..

Do you guys know how long springs usually last? I just looked under my car and it looks like I dont have original shocks after all, as they are black, and dont look very old, but the springs themselves are rusty so i can tell they are original... ( ihave 137000 miles on my car by the way)

jey
05-25-10, 06:29 PM
Geez does Allshocks.com not want to sell you anything? Just go to Autozone - I got my Bilsteins on Autozone.com...

ScottConklin
05-27-10, 04:02 PM
Man, talk about some screwy sellers. Lots of FWB's running around with these shocks for them to not work. You'll be fine. And as far as warranty, any company selling them will warranty them. It's a factory warranty, not a retailer warranty. Not that you'll ever have a problem anyway...