: Bearings

eghernandez2007
05-24-10, 07:29 PM
Im wondering if anybody here has done piston rod bearings on a northstar from a 1997 deville. The engine has been knocking since friday and i have eliminated all other possible culprits. im planning on removing the tranny, the oil pan and the lower crankcase and doing them like that. How difficult is this job and what are the odds that the bearing is spun?

Submariner409
05-24-10, 08:13 PM
For this job the drivetrain needs to come out the bottom of the car, the engine removed and inverted. Quite a sequence to pulling the pan and halfcase, replacing the crankshaft and rods (no regrinds allowed), and getting it all back together again. Very few instances of a spun rod bearing, but not unheard of.

Find a GM/Helm service manual for your year engine/car - others are far too generic. www.helminc.com or eBay. You'll need it for all the procedures and torque values.

Is this a real, honest-to-gosh rod knock or something more like a piston slap ?

eghernandez2007
05-24-10, 09:11 PM
Its a real rod knock unfortunately, you dont think its possible to do it with the engine still in the car? i work at a caddy dealership but im a real rookie to heavyline work.

Ranger
05-24-10, 11:03 PM
Its a real rod knock unfortunately, you dont think its possible to do it with the engine still in the car? i work at a caddy dealership but im a real rookie to heavyline work.
Nope. Ask one of the heavyline guys at work. I'd be surprised if they had a way to do it.

eghernandez2007
05-25-10, 12:29 AM
He told me thats the way to do it ONLY if its just bad bearings. If its a spun bearing i would have to replace the rod which requires taking the head off and pulling the piston.

Ranger
05-25-10, 12:01 PM
If it's a spun bearing you may have to change the crankshaft as well. That means dropping the drivetrain. I don't think you are going to get off easy on this one.

STSS
05-25-10, 01:19 PM
How on earth could it be easier to do this with the engine in the car? :suspect::bonkers:

To think of everything on that engine that has to come apart to swap out just a rod (assuming the crank is fine) is INTIMIDATING.

To think of taking all of those things off while the engine is in the car is NEARLY IMPOSSIBLE (JMHO).

To think of trying to put it all back together with the engine in the car is IMPOSSIBLE (once again JMHO).

You will have removed almost everything from the engine compartment except the top half of the block.... it is so much easier to work on a N* when everything is sitting on the cradle in front of you (out of the car).

Once again, this was all JMHO.

tateos
05-27-10, 03:17 PM
Yup - drop that cradle, yank the engine, and then the fun starts. Sure it's not carbon knock? Common on these cars...and harmless