: Had Coolant Flush/Fill done at shop, - now a question

sircrunch
05-24-10, 03:24 PM
This is on a 97 deville. On my reciept it said they used 2 gallons of antifreeze.

I called and asked if they used the whole 2 gallons and he said "Yes, we used 2 gallons then filled the rest with water, which was about another gallon"

They use Shellzone Antifree which is low silicate.

Did they use too much ?

And if so could it have an adverse affect on head gasket?

Should I be worried?

Submariner409
05-24-10, 03:58 PM
If they used three gallons of liquid of which two were coolant (uncut) that's a 66/33 ratio, which falls at the upper limit (70/30) recommended by GM and the coolant manufacturers.

FWIW a 50/50 mix boils at about 265 degrees with a system pressure of 16 psi. A 70/30 mix boils at 276 under the same pressure. Any higher concentration and the boil points start down again. Freeze points also hold inversely to that principle.

Ranger
05-24-10, 10:56 PM
I find it very hard to believe that they got 3 gallons of coolant out of it. I have changed coolant on 3 different Northstars (more than one time each) and I can never get 2 full gallons back in the car. I'd venture to say that the only way to know what you have in there now is to use a refractometer and adjust the mixture accordingly if necessary.

Whatever they have in there is not going to hurt the head gaskets. It's still better than not changing it.

zonie77
05-25-10, 03:30 AM
Should I be worried?

NO. I know guys who run 100% antifreeze with no problems in AZ. The have no corrosion in the radiator. I don't do it myself but I've seen their cars, that are pushing 10 years old, and the radiators look like new inside.

Did they actually put in 2 gallons? Maybe, but prove they didn't.

98eldo32v
05-25-10, 03:46 AM
This is a product that I personally can vouch for that works.

I used this in my 95 mustang with a 347 that I had built with a Becool radiator and factory temp thermostat. My radiator remained spotless, my intake coolant passages were clean like I had just put on the intake manifold. (mind you I had switched from the factory 5.0 setup to cobra upper and lower manifolds).

I don't know what's in that little bottle but I honestly say, it does everything it claims.........

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

EChas3
05-26-10, 06:44 PM
This is a product that I personally can vouch for that works.

I used this in my 95 mustang with a 347 that I had built with a Becool radiator and factory temp thermostat. My radiator remained spotless, my intake coolant passages were clean like I had just put on the intake manifold. (mind you I had switched from the factory 5.0 setup to cobra upper and lower manifolds).

I don't know what's in that little bottle but I honestly say, it does everything it claims.........

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=74&pcid=10

All the British car guys rave about it, too. ('71 TR6)