: lets discuss the C6 platform

OffThaHorseCEO
05-23-10, 03:18 PM
as i understand it, the XLR is based on the C6 Corvette (they share a platform).

if this is the case im assuming they share MANY similarities.

where do these similarities end?

the main thing im curious about:

are the suspensions the same? if so can the same suspension upgrades be used?

can the same tire/wheel style/combo be used? (the new gran sport is running 335's in the back...VERY beefy)

could you theoretically place a vette motor into the xlr? not that i would but again im trying to get an understanding of how similiar these vehicles are

Dr. Design
05-25-10, 08:58 PM
Hello,
There are quite a few similarities between the two vehicles. However the line is quite defined in certain areas.

Different suspensions. Can they be interchanged, yes. Can the brakes be transfered over, yes. Can you use the same wheels on the rear, no. The XLR and XLR-V have smaller wheel wells do to the retractable convertible top. When we set up these cars, we usually go with a 285 in the rear. Thats about it if you want to keep the tire inside the wheel well.

Can you put a Vette motor in an XLR, yes.

Let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

as i understand it, the XLR is based on the C6 Corvette (they share a platform).

if this is the case im assuming they share MANY similarities.

where do these similarities end?

the main thing im curious about:

are the suspensions the same? if so can the same suspension upgrades be used?

can the same tire/wheel style/combo be used? (the new gran sport is running 335's in the back...VERY beefy)

could you theoretically place a vette motor into the xlr? not that i would but again im trying to get an understanding of how similiar these vehicles are

OffThaHorseCEO
05-26-10, 12:19 AM
Hello,
There are quite a few similarities between the two vehicles. However the line is quite defined in certain areas.

Different suspensions. Can they be interchanged, yes. Can the brakes be transfered over, yes. Can you use the same wheels on the rear, no. The XLR and XLR-V have smaller wheel wells do to the retractable convertible top. When we set up these cars, we usually go with a 285 in the rear. Thats about it if you want to keep the tire inside the wheel well.

Can you put a Vette motor in an XLR, yes.

Let us know if there are any questions.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

thanks for the quick reply.so would you say the main difference comes from the retractable hardtop or anything else?

Dr. Design
05-26-10, 04:44 PM
Yes, that and the fact that they seemed to have approached this vehicle with more of a roadster performance more than sports car performance. The spring rates are softer than the C6 and the size of the sway bars are not impressive at all.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

thanks for the quick reply.so would you say the main difference comes from the retractable hardtop or anything else?

karolko
02-26-11, 12:39 PM
sorry to bring this thread up from the dead, but D# mentioned that the swapbars on our xlr's leave much to be desired. My question would be can you bolt ona factory corvette Z06 bar front and rear to our xlr's or is it not worth the time/money?

Dr. Design
02-28-11, 01:26 PM
Hello,
You can make the change. Is it worth it? Depends on the budget I would suppose.

The sway bars we offer are considered an upgrade even over the ZO6 system. If you are going to take the time and spend the money, might as well go for the sure thing.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

sorry to bring this thread up from the dead, but D# mentioned that the swapbars on our xlr's leave much to be desired. My question would be can you bolt ona factory corvette Z06 bar front and rear to our xlr's or is it not worth the time/money?

ccclarke
03-01-11, 02:29 PM
You can add the XLR-V's rear sway bar to the base XLR in about an hour with very basic tools.

If you want increased performance, but want to keep the price down, here are the parts you need:

15806422 shaft/swaybar

11516078 nut (4)

15907003 link (2)

11515775 bolt (2)

10317560 insulator (2)

15142776 clamp (2)

Buying the parts online (gmpartsdirect.com) will save you a bundle over your local dealership. This is an inexpensive (<$200 for mine) upgrade that doesn't affect the ride quality a bit.

CC