: Rear pinion seal leaking - has anyone replaced this by themselves?

silver02stang
05-23-10, 11:00 AM
Just as the title asks... I'm on my original diff from '04. :) Yes, its lasted this long. Well, now its leaking and I'm curious as to the difficulty of replacing the seal. Is it like the seal at the rear of the trans in that I only have to pull the driveshaft, pop out the old seal and replace or does it need to be replaced from the inside? Ugh.

rand49er
05-23-10, 10:39 PM
Mine's been leaking for a year. Bought a new seal from Luke last summer (the ONLY guy I trust for stock parts and UUC mods :worship:), but always seemed to have other stuff going on so never got it done.

Three or four weeks ago, I took it into a local shop, and they did the install for me. I didn't want to tackle it myself 'cause there's a torque spec well over 200 ft lbs as I understand that I just didn't feel like messing with while on Rhino ramps.

Cost? Seems like it was about $140 or thereabouts for the install. I'd do that again in a heartbeat. But, like I said, I did provide the parts from Luke and the Amsoil diff fluid plus limited-slip additive.

silver02stang
05-25-10, 01:08 AM
Arent you one with your original diff as well? I'm just about to pull the trigger on some amsoil diff fluid myself. Looks like I'll be ordering a pinion seal from Luke as well when I order up my clutch pieces.

rand49er
05-25-10, 09:15 AM
Arent you one with your original diff as well? I'm just about to pull the trigger on some amsoil diff fluid myself. Looks like I'll be ordering a pinion seal from Luke as well when I order up my clutch pieces.Nope. I'm on my third diff. In fact, when the 2nd diff was installed, they didn't tighten something (might have been the vent tube), and diff fluid leaked and sprayed all over the entire rear end of the car ... I mean it was dripping from the bumper from one side to the other. I always wondered if that accelerated the demise of the 2nd diff causing me ( :thumbsup: ) to get a 3rd one.

Anyway, all I can figure is that it must be very tricky to do the install and get it so it doesn't develop a leak later on. I'll be watching my current one, but if in a year or two it starts leaking again I'll just chalk it up to the cost of 1st Gen V ownership.

lollygagger8
05-26-10, 09:07 AM
Randy is right.

Have a stealership or a really good mechanic do it. Buy the seal/nut/etc from Luke. That nut takes 210 or 240 (cant remember) ft lbs of tq. I know i dont have a tq wrench that goes that high.

Id hate to see you install it just to have it leak again. I had the stealership do mine just in case they screwed it up i could take it back.

silver02stang
05-26-10, 06:56 PM
meh... I'm one of the 3 people that picked up one of those nib diffs a few month ago for $135 shipped. I also have a uuc diff bushing collecting dust. maybe it would just be easier to install the new diff. i got under there last week and eyeballed it and it doesn't look too tough. I just don't like doing work twice and was planning on getting the GeForce axles before installing the new one. The primary bolts that mount it to the subframe look to offer no adjustment so do you guys have any idea if I need to be concerned with diff angle or should it be a pretty straight forward install? I can't buy the axles right now because I'm right in the middle of working on a deal for a Monster stg 2 clutch set up.

rand49er
05-26-10, 11:22 PM
Holy moly! A new diff, a new diff bushing, and new axles ... you won't recognize your car when that's done.

Lollygagger did a dif-replacement-instruction thread, and there's a couple of equally informative threads on the diff bushing as well as the axles, so I'd think that you should be able to do all this in the same session. The axles should help protect that new diff, but may not prevent if from developing a bit of a whine depending on how you drive.

And, I hear you about doing something twice ... I hate when that happens. :banghead:

myboys5722
04-13-14, 05:33 PM
Was there a recall on the 06'SRX and if so would it be honored at this point as I have the front one leaking. I may tackle it myself but wanted to get some input first.

Thanks!

darkman
04-13-14, 05:51 PM
I am not sure, but I believe that "recalls" do not expire. See attached.

Cadillac Cust Svc
04-14-14, 08:03 PM
Was there a recall on the 06'SRX and if so would it be honored at this point as I have the front one leaking. I may tackle it myself but wanted to get some input first.

Thanks!

Hi myboys5722,

I have also replied to your post in a different thread, but if you would like to PM me your VIN, mileage, dealership, and contact information, I would be happy to check on the recall status of your SRX. And darkman is correct, recalls do not expire.

Hope to hear from you soon,

Austin J.
Cadillac Customer Care