: Battery change then nav issues

cabletech
05-23-10, 08:58 AM
Hi guys,

I'm not a V owner yet, but I am actively shopping and I've talked to a guy about his V.

Right now, it's got a problem with the nav unit. He changed the battery, and this is what he's saying:

The nav. computer needs to be serviced it has somehow unprogrammed its self and wont acknowledge the remote lock and does not hold the personalization for driver 1 and 2 anymore. This happened a few weeks ago when I replaced the battery, I had to replace the battery because the other one died on me.

I've been looking at the nav manual, and seen some of the personalization settings, and wonder if something got set to "Off", but I'm just not familiar with the system enough to know. Or, is the nav unit screwed and would this really need dealer involvement? Any ideas on co$t?

{And I've seen the TSB on the battery / overhead console switch issue, wonder if he's getting hit with that bug...}

Thanks for any feedback. Really not sure I'd want to buy a car and then have to immediately take it to a dealer for an unknown 'fix'...

darkman
05-23-10, 11:51 AM
I think the a dealer can fix this pretty quickly.

There may be a do-it-yourself fix, but I haven't found it in my technical references.

I don't think this is caused by a battery change under normal circumstances because I disconnect my battery almost everytime I work on the car and leave it disconnected sometimes for days (mod hell and all). I have never enocountered this problem.

CancerJCC
05-24-10, 11:29 AM
I agree with darkman it sounds as though the battery change is unrelated to the NAV issue. The NAV unit doesn't have an "off" for those features you mentioned although some owners do have problems accessing them.

It sounds like a new NAV unit is in that cars future if he is describing it exactly as it is acting to you. FYI ebay has used units for around $500 w/ slight warranties...

ELES6CTS
05-25-10, 01:18 AM
I just did a battery change this last week and had no problems either. I'm guessing something with the headunit itself. Like everyone else mentioned, not sure on a DYI for the NAV features. Have you checked the NAV manual? I hadn't had a need to look and haven't read through mine to see.

cabletech
05-25-10, 09:00 AM
Thanks guys. I may just pass on this car, I don't want to buy something and then turn around and have to replace a $500-$2k nav head unit, unless the price was really right. Wonder what the actual cause of the problem was...

The car isn't exactly local to me (just over an hour away), so I have not even seen it in person.

ELES6CTS
05-25-10, 09:57 AM
Does your security light on the dash stay on?